Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I'd keep both. They're both fine 13th/14th forwards and in an ideal world they'd both be playing themselves in and out of the lineup.

that would guarantee rookies get put through waivers. so if it was Eaves or Cleary I choose Eaves. he is better on the pk, will have had more time to get back to normal after being hurt for so long. and won't have the risk of being put on the 1st line and top PP unit.

if it were up to me though we cut ties with both, and wish Eaves the best of luck.

Callahan and Ferraro are both going to be better in the long run. I would think they could be better right now, but that is yet to be seen. but they do have more speed and grit. with only room to improve.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nope. Weiss doesn't add a handness (like also our offense is lacking righties) and we have Järnkrok in the prospect system. It wasn't an overpay, more of market value.

similar in 'time to overpay and get him, we need him, fits here well'. and had showed signs of decline.

wings outbid everyone and as he was coming off 4 point season, it definitely was overpayment. high risk, high reward signing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And you feel same about Girardi?

that he would be high risk, high reward signing? yes, i do.

i don't think wings should sign him if it's longer than 6 years and more than 5.5 mil per or so.

he's managed to stay almost ridiculously healthy considering his playing style. but personally, i wouldn't make the bet that he can keep that up. whether it's puck possession style or decline or both (that's my guess), he hasn't been as good this year. i don't think he's worth those dollars. i'm willing to overpay for elite but girardi isn't that.

if wings were 'win it now at all costs' - mode, i'd go for it. but that would mean to me that wings would be willing to trade kids to get the missing pieces; i don't think they are. and there's good case for not to.

rangers have ton of cap space and getting rid of him would open massive hole on their roster. so one has to ask, why wouldn't they re-sign him? don't see big reason for girardi to leave. rangers have the money and competitive team.

well GMs leave good players to leave all the time but to me that would seem pretty big red flag.

i'd look at other options first. that contract could be really bad in few years.

that's my thoughts for now. i'd open to changing my mind. that depends on how he plays the res of the year, what his salary demands are and how wings look down the stretch.

i don't think he's going to hit UFA anyway. rangers re-sign him or trade him to the team that then re-signs him.

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
I've got feeling whoever gives Girardi a long term deal will regret it, feels so much like another Volchenkov to me. Players like him decline early as we saw with Stuart.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Kyle Quincey is +4 since the New Year.

I've often heard how Smith was being held back because of Quincey, but the reality is that it's been a 2-way street in that relationship.

If Detroit were to add a top 4 defenceman this season at the deadline, I would fear the consequences would be dire. Because then Smith and Quincey would be reunited as the bottom pairing. And while as a bottom pairing they would play less minutes and typically against less opponents, it couldn't completely hide the fact that they are a nightmare together.

Edit: I seen the title "Happy Thoughts" and just assumed that this thread was meant for any good news lol. Didn't realize it was a thread dedicated to next season's roster. My bad.

Last edited:

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I was thinking this lineup might look pretty sweet. I think we have the makings of a decent team.

Franzen- Datsyuk - Alfreddson
Zetterburg - Weiss - Tatar
Nyquist - Helm - Abdelkadder
Miller - Sheahan - Jurco

Backup with Glendenning, Tootoo, other rookies.

PP1: Dat, Alf, Sheahan, Nyquit, Kron
PP2: Tat, Z, Weiss, Helm, DD

Solid forward set-up, with each line very capable of scoring and defending. Its kinda dependant on Weiss not being absolute *******, and Babcock deciding that its not in the teams best interest to keep Bertuzzi, Cleary etc etc.

Unfortunately we are light on replacements in case of injuries but hopefully with dumping all the trash, we can trade in one or two decent players.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I suspect the following

zetts-dats-ufa(5million such as alffie/hemskycammy/moulson level player)
franzen-weiss-nyquist
tatar-helm-abby
miller-sheahan-ferraro
callahan

kronwall-ericsson
dekeyser-ufa dman signed to a two year max deal(4 million such as robidas/pitkanen/greene)
kindl-smith
lashoff

-jurco and glendening start in ahl and called up as soon as franzen or helm or dats gets injured)
-0% chance mantha starts anywhere but the ahl
-sammy walks
-quincey walks
-eaves walks
-bertuzzi retires
-tootoo bought out
-cleary brought back on a one year, two-way 850k deal simmilar to maltbys and starts in the ahl(will be first all up)
-holland wants nhl experience depth, cant see him making any trade of nhl level value, wont lose ferraro for nothing so jurco and glendening much like nyquist this year start in ahl simple as that

that will be the lineup

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad