Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy seems to like Geertsen and someone else in the organization who Roy trusts (Billington/Smith) is probably the one telling Roy about him so I highly doubt he isn't signed.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Again, i'm not using the games played argument since DeAngelo greatly outscored Bigras (and the rest of the CHL) even with less games played. There's no need to argue a "on pace for" argument since DeAngelo doesn't even need it.

I did not say Barrie was better than EJ nor do i think that. I never brought them up at all, you did. DeAngelo is much better among his peers than what Barrie is. DeAngelo was the best D in junior hockey this year. DeAngelo/Nurse is more comparable to Pietro/Shattenkirk this season. Pietrangelo is the safer guy and plays on the top pairing, but Shattenkirk has been the better defenseman. Doesn't mean it's always been that way or it will be that way forever but that's how it's been this year.

If you are not using it as an argument then why have you mentioned the lack of games in every single post?even in this post you mention that he played less games. Seems your using it for something.

I know you didn't say Barrie was better than EJ. It was just a question. They are in similar situations (not perfect comparison, the Blues are a better one, but similar none the less).

DeAngelo was the most productive, not best. Hard for me to call a 2nd pairing guy the best in the league when they don't even face the best opposite the league has to offer as consistently as top pair players do.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Wish Colorado or Lake Erie would get in on the college free agent action. Even if they just sign Casey Bailey I would be ecstatic.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Getting Geertsen signed would make me ecstatic

That too. Let's sign our own that need contracts, Geertsen is only one I think, and bring in a couple new ones now eh. Try and weed out the Pracey era prospects in Lake Erie, although some I like. Smith being up there along with Bourke and obvi Siemens. Cheek has his moments in the highlights and they may have a bottom 6er in him.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Butcher scored, shot from the blueline and went in off a defender.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The one thing I like about our prospects like Bigras, Bleackley, Nantel, Geertsen and Wood is that they were asked to step it up this season. Bigras is crushing it in Owen Sound right now on both ends of the ice and should at least be the finalist to Defensemen of the Year in the OHL. People wanted to know if Bleackley was just some 3rd line potential guy. Right now he's one of the most clutch scorers in the WHL.

Nantel was supposed to take that big offensive step last season. He's one of the youngest players in his draft year with this only being his 2nd year in the QMJHL. He has really stepped it up offensively this year. Showing that he can take that step offensively. Then there's Kyle Wood. Really good playoff showing after being injured nearly all season long. Question marks abound if he was good enough to show that during the regular season. He is proving that and was the first Avs player in the organization to notch a hat trick this year followed by MacKinnon.

And how about Mason Geertsen? What a year this guy is having on a bad team. Will hopefully see him join the Monsters soon and actually play for the Monsters. With the way he's improving who knows how well he ends up doing. Maybe a dark horse in training camp next year? Small chance but whatever.

Then of course Pickard in the AHL rocketing his way up the prospect rankings for the Avs and has a legitimate claim for back up goalie next season if he keeps this up. Under the goalie column I'd like add Spencer Martin. Was looking really good before his injury. Honestly was their Varlamov. They leaned on him so much.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The one thing I like about our prospects like Bigras, Bleackley, Nantel, Geertsen and Wood is that they were asked to step it up this season.

Roy resonance effect. I'm sure prospects were asked to step it up by the previous regime, but there's a difference between Roy doing the asking and Joe Sacco. I really think Roy gets the most out of players, and it reverberates throughout the organization.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Been talking with a poster that is close with the Giants organization at the WHL section and he has mentioned that Geertsen hasn't been sign because the Avs front office is 50/50 on Mason. Some love him while others don't, personally I thought it had to due with Geertsen wanting more money on his ELC. But surprised if this is true, that there are people within the Avs organization who do not fancy him.

I think it would be a bad mistake not signing him.

Roy mentions him before Bigras now. Definitely not true.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Giants are on sn Friday night hockey and Geertsen was named their MVP and commentators talking about how impressed the Avs are with him and his progress. Until he is signed I'll still worry though. Cant lose him

edit-add a pp goal

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Really glad NHL Network showed the Giants game. Geertsen is quite impressive. Dude will get signed. I really liked how quickly he would make decisions with the puck. It was on and off his stick without any indecision.

Unfortunately Butcher didn't have that good of a game though. The goal was nice, but he got scored on at least twice.

Storm wasn't much of a factor, but his team is playing for the Champ tonight.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any other thoughts on Geertsen SAH? I really liked how you described some of our other prospects you've seen.

And Bleackley will be back tonight finally.

Saw Nantel's goal. Was on the PP but he's carrying the puck, makes a power move to split the D and then picks up his own rebound. Real nice hard working goal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad