Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Geertsen can just sign ATO and join Monsters tomorrow. So hope Chambers isn't confused but the first tweet implies negotiating an actual ELC. Just so folks know he doesn't have to have the ELC done yet, though obviously would be nice to get it done.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
So what if he signs the ELC and plays in the AHL? Does that burn a year or how does that work?

FoppaForsberg*

He could do what Calgary did with Kenney Morrison. Sign him to an ATO so he can play this year in the minors, and sign him to an ELC that doesn't kick in until next season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Geertsen can just sign ATO and join Monsters tomorrow. So hope Chambers isn't confused but the first tweet implies negotiating an actual ELC. Just so folks know he doesn't have to have the ELC done yet, though obviously would be nice to get it done.

Not sure that would be a wise move for him though. He and his agent probably know he's proven himself enough to get an ELC from somebody. Signing an ATO and playing before he signs one just risks injury, and potentially having that threaten his chances or his earning potential.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, my personal hunch about Geertsen was a difference in money. I think he wants to get paid more than a 4th rounder on his ELC and two-way deals.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Any other thoughts on Geertsen SAH? I really liked how you described some of our other prospects you've seen.

And Bleackley will be back tonight finally.

Saw Nantel's goal. Was on the PP but he's carrying the puck, makes a power move to split the D and then picks up his own rebound. Real nice hard working goal.

Beautiful shot- accurate and it just explodes off his stick
Better puck skills than expected, seemed to make smart plays, but needs more work/consistency (probably what he needs to work on the most to reach his potential)
Big (obviously) and and very tough/strong- looked like people felt his hits, it was like hitting a wall when he would meet someone in open ice
Great defense on the rush- gonna be very hard to get around, even Merkley was easily turned away numerous occasions
Tremendous reach and a surprisingly quick and active stick, disrupted a lot of plays
Cycle awareness wasn't perfect, but nothing to worry about
Shocked at how well he skates now. I remember watching his highlights when drafted and thinking we couldn't have found more of a pilon and that he was just a fighter. He's no EJ, but the guy moves well and certainly isn't immoble. Quite quick to the corners and pinching in. Doubt he is much of a puck carrier though.

Granted it was just one game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see Bleackley back tonight. Just in time for the playoffs.

Any word on Bigras? Are they just holding him out until the playoffs begin?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, one of the broadcasters told me that yesterday. I suppose that's the plan.

Geertsen is out tonight. Probably to keep him healthy but I'll try to find out for sure. They scratched some other older players too.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, my personal hunch about Geertsen was a difference in money. I think he wants to get paid more than a 4th rounder on his ELC and two-way deals.

As he should, he's had a relatively impressive year and improved on his draft stock. Hopefully it won't be too big a hold up, if the Avs aren't pinching pennies anymore like it seems.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Couldn't find out definitively but saw a comment from Noel he was going to go with a young lineup for the last game so think Geertsen was just a healthy scratch. No need to go on the road and they didn't give much of an effort as it was. So hopefully we'll be hearing Monsters or ELC news soon.

Bleackley looked good in his first game back. Maybe not quite up to speed but he didn't ease in. Played a lot of minutes, won 5 faceoffs in a row on a late game PP. Threw a big hit his first shift out there, said he felt good. So it was good to see him back and playing his game finally.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...-but-wont-head-to-farm-club-until-deals-done/

There is the article. Not much except Newport doesn't want him playing on a ATO without a contract. I don't really blame them for feeling that way but of course they have to make every simple situation difficult. At least Geertsen said its close, as long as he signs soon its not an issue. Just wonder what if the Avs were more undecided on him and needed to see him play under an ATO before they made up their mind, then what? I guess that's a scary thought that thank goodness is not reality for us to worry about.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's a writer for MHH swearing at the kid because he wants to get his contract done and protect himself?

Both the Avs and Newport like to make things that should be easy, seem kinda difficult. Just sign him already.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Sounds like another Newport nightmare. Sometimes the business approach, which I get, just makes people come off in the wrong way.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
HOW is this a "Newport Nightmare"? That's a pretty big judgment to take.

What if the kid signs an ATO and gets injured before the season is over? Will the Avs still sign him to an ELC? Most likely not. An ELC can still set someone up, financially, for life in the event of a career-ending injury.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting an ELC first, and then an ATO. That IS the business side, and one I support 100% for the player.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
HOW is this a "Newport Nightmare"? That's a pretty big judgment to take.

What if the kid signs an ATO and gets injured before the season is over? Will the Avs still sign him to an ELC? Most likely not. An ELC can still set someone up, financially, for life in the event of a career-ending injury.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting an ELC first, and then an ATO. That IS the business side, and one I support 100% for the player.

Thats a fair argument.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bourke wasn't afforded that option, he had to risk it on a ATO first. But I get it, the guy had a great season and he probably has options (ie other teams interested). That's the risk the Avs run by waiting, the player gets leverage and can start asking for things. It's not a nightmare if it gets hammered out soon though (which seems to be the case) but with them involved I never rule out anything horrifying happening. I don't want to stress out about a prospect signing. We only have one that needs to be signed and it seems like someone from another team signs every 10 minutes. So yeah it makes me uneasy and will until it's resolved.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think Bourke improved his draft stock before signing his ELC like Geertsen has.

On top of that, no two situations are the same. As a fan base, we've become so jaded because of the O'Reilly situation, but I see no reason why Geertsen's is going to play out anywhere close to the same.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It seems reasonable to me to want an ELC before reporting to an AHL team. He's played well enough to earn one and I can't imagine Avs feel he has to earn one on a ATO for a couple of weeks. If that is the case, their director of player development has done a terrible job. The guy has played 135 games in the WHL since he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad