Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Awesome write-up man. I really appreciate you taking the time and I'm sure a lot of other posters do as well.

It's good to hear about his development. I'm not expecting a ton but I would be happy with a guy who can be a good stay at home guy with puck moving capabilities. He could potentially look good with Barrie in the future as long as he keeps developing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FTR:

I don't share the same skating concerns with Geertsen as SEPH does. I think for a 19 year old kid who is 6'4 and over 200 pounds, he skates very well. Is his skating speed NHL-ready? Not at all. But will it get to that level in a year or two? Definitely, I think so.

Skating is probably one of the easiest things to fix so when I was talking about it in my post, I never meant he was Jason Allison bad and that he will never improve. But at this current point of time? I do think my statement of Geertsen's skating in just north to south straight line speed is like Erik Johnson without the power skating offseasons is a fair assessment IMO. I did say I think he has a smooth skating style and his west to east is pretty fluid for a big man. Not as good as Siemens though. :)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With the playoff matchups set, thought I should update where our prospects stand heading into the postseason.

As everyone knows the Vancouver Giants did not qualify for the playoffs and Mason Geertsen will hopefully sign an ELC and then an ATO and join Lake Erie soon. Should also note the Mississauga Steelheads did not qualify for the playoffs either, not that there is any chance Spencer Martin is going to play any time soon but perhaps with his junior season officially ending frees him up to spend more time under the Avalanche eye in his rehab from knee surgery.

All those that will be partaking in the post season could have a chance to join Lake Erie on an ATO for a week or two if they are out after the first round.

Owen Sound Attack vs. Guelph Storm begins Friday the 27th. Word is Chris Bigras will be back from UBI for the start of the playoffs but fingers crossed until then. This is a 4 vs 5 seed matchup between division rivals who finished one point apart in the final standings. Its as close as it gets but still the Attack are the underdogs. Guelph has been ahead all year but not by much however their championship playoff experience probably wins out. I expect the Attack will give them a good test especially when they are at home.

North Bay Batallion vs. Kingston Frontenacs begins Friday the 27th. A very intruiging matchup featuring two of the most defensive teams in the OHL. North Bay won the conference last season and has been a strong team all season while Kingston has recently found some offense and momentum with the return of Sam Bennett. Kyle Wood vs. Lawson Crouse is going to be a fun battle to watch for me personally. North Bay is favored and should take this one early, I like their experience and consistency a lot more even if Kingston should give them a few good games.

Kitchener Rangers vs. London Knights begins Friday the 27th. Another divisional matchup, as they all are, prospect Nick Magyar takes part. On paper this one looks easily slanted to London but Kitchener is probably one of the last teams they hoped to see as the season series split 3-3 inlcuding two past regulation. London has the pedigree, swagger, experience and talent but Kitchener has a goalie and a group of players that keep putting up offense and wins that sometimes defy logic and they even had a 16 game pointstreak at the start of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see anything happen between these two teams but I'll give it to London pulling it out as first round upsets are rare.

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies vs. Val d'Or Foreurs begins Friday the 27th. Prospects Julien Nantel and Alexis Pepin faceoff in this series in a nice twist of fate. Divisional and territorial rivals this series will be intense and could easily go either way. The Foreurs are the higher seed in this series thanks to a late season 12 game winning streak which significantly boosted them up the standings. I feel like the Huskies are the better team overall but the Foreurs do have momentum and championship pedigree on their side even if many of their 2014 Memorial Cup players are gone. Huskies have their own plucky luck as they were the only first round upset last season sending Quebec packing, I think they pull off the upset again here.

Red Deer Rebels vs. Medicine Hat Tigers begins Saturday the 28th. As I mentioned previously, Conner Bleackley returned to action the other night and looks to be good to go for the playoffs. This is a tough divisional matchup and the Rebels are the lower seed and will be the underdogs. However the Tigers coasted a bit in the second half and I like how the Rebels match up with them when they can use their size and forecheck to slow a speedy skilled team down. I expect this series to the distance and could go either way but lack of offense will thwart Red Deer as it as all season.

Over in the NCAA, our two prospects made the Division I hockey tournament. Will Butcher and DU will play Hanifin and Boston College in the first round on Saturday the 28th at 1pm MT on ESPN2 and TSN. Meanwhile, Ben Storm and St Cloud State will face Michigan Tech on Friday he 27th at 2:30pm MT on ESPN3.

Finally, Anton Lindholm has been playing for Skellefteå, who are the two time defending champions in the SHL. Their semifinal series matchup begins on Saturday the 28th.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
CHL playoffs are going to be great. That Kitchener/London series is going to be insane. Living in London I'm expecting hostility on the ice and off the ice. If Kitchener shuts down Dvorak/Domi/Marner, they'll win. I have more faith in Owen Sound moving on then Guelph actually. It'll be fun to see if Wood steps up in the playoffs again.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I suppose the latter could be debated. ;)

I consider Geertsen a solid stay at home defensive defenseman. Defense has always been his strong suit. I think some people are seeing the point increase and starting to jump to conclusions. Now I'm not saying it is meaningless but I am also not convinced that will translate to the pro level. I think what it did show was a certain level of progression that a lot of players don't reach. When Geertsen first got a genuine opportunity to play on the PP I wasn't overly thrilled about it. You would have to be able to relate to previous situations to understand my gripe. Not only did Geertsen look lost most times manning the PP but his shot had absolutely no threat. Zero. Why? Well for starters the lowest he could keep the puck most of the time was shoulder height. Most of his teammates refused to stand in front of the net because the puck would zip by their heads. The velocity was always there but the control was non-existent.

Long story short, after the first coaching change Geertsen really worked on his shot and due to Vancouver struggling and not having a lot of capable offensive minded defensemen Geertsen started to have success. He managed to keep his shot much lower and started to gain confidence. The last thing I said, confidence, that was probably the biggest change in his game. He would carry the puck from behind the net and not question his decision. He would take the extra time and make a better first pass. Last season that didn't happen often at all. He would force a play and usually that ended up bad for the team. Let me clarify that wasn't a problem exclusive to Geersten. Vancouver has had years of awful defense. Geertsen was probably their most reliable defenseman during this period. But those were mistakes he made more frequently.

If you asked me last summer what I expected from Geersten at his ceiling I would say maybe a #5 or #6 defenseman. Depending on how he progressed in the AHL. Now? I think projecting him to be a middle pairing defenseman is a pretty good bet. So #3 or #4. I think #4 is more likely but you never know.

One more thing in regard to his skating. I am not at all concerned with his skating. Not one bit. If you watched him play at 16 you'd realized his skating is already that much better. And to be clear I never thought he was a bad skater for his size. Quite the contrary. For his size he always moved fairly well. People often confuse longer strides for slow skating. Now that being said can there be improvements in his skating? Of course. And they will come. I have no doubt about that. He has the desire and work ethic to get it done. But his skating isn't a legitimate concern at least not in my eyes. His footwork is pretty good and he is usually in good position. The latter is ultimately the most important. Sometimes he makes a bad decision pinching (usually he is trying to step up and make a big hit) and sometimes that creates an odd man rush the other way. But those are mistakes I am fine with. He is trying to make a physical play and most of the time I'll happily that that gamble. It's not as though he's doing that at a crucial time of the game. Timing is extremely important in that regard.

I don't know how much (if any) stock you or any fans put into former NHL coaches opinions but I can tell you Claude Noel absolutely adored Geersten. He constantly raved about him. He only did that for two players. Geersten and Benson. It isn't a coincidence those are the two players you can tell night in and night out cared and gave it their all.

This is all absolutely bang-on and I agree with 100% of it. Especially the part about fans getting a tad over-excited about his up-tick in production.

Good to hear a solid opinion from someone who I know watches him play plenty.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
CHL playoffs are going to be great. That Kitchener/London series is going to be insane. Living in London I'm expecting hostility on the ice and off the ice. If Kitchener shuts down Dvorak/Domi/Marner, they'll win. I have more faith in Owen Sound moving on then Guelph actually. It'll be fun to see if Wood steps up in the playoffs again.

Yeah I think it's that Kitchener plays with no fear and London likes to intimidate so when it doesn't work that gets them off their game. Kitchener had zero expectations this year so they can play balls to the wall the whole time and it doesn't matter. I think Guelph has been better much of the year but if Owen Sound gets that PP rolling that will help a lot. I'm definitely looking forward to it too, a lot of great matchups.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Pretty awesome seeing that since Roykic took over that we have 3 pretty dang good prospects that everyone is excited about (Bigras, Geertsen, Bleackley).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty awesome seeing that since Roykic took over that we have 3 pretty dang good prospects that everyone is excited about (Bigras, Geertsen, Bleackley).

True but we were all excited about Elliott and Siemens at one point too. :laugh:

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Yes, but all three were still technically drafted by Pracey.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Pracey seemed to have Homerun drafts every 4 years, we should have kept him till 2017 just to be safe.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So the OHL award finalists have been named. Bigras is nominated for Defenseman of the Year(duh) and my favourite rising prospect, Spencer Martin was nominated for goalie of the year despite being injured for ~half of the season. That's just pretty awesome in my opinion.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't see goalie of the year. I must be blind, I'll look for that tweet.

Can you expand on why you like Martin. My eyes tell me he's good and his stats are great but I feel like many are uncertain about him.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I didn't see goalie of the year. I must be blind, I'll look for that tweet.

Can you expand on why you like Martin. My eyes tell me he's good and his stats are great but I feel like many are uncertain about him.

Lots of raw talent there and size. I want to say Jiggy without the lack of lateral mobility. And it's in a link that the OHL sent out.

OHL Award Finalists

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know if it's his simple non flashy North American name, the fact that he's been injured, the fact that we have other great goalie prospects or a mix of all three but Spencer Martin has definitely flown under the radar around here. We may have one of the better goaltending prospects in hockey with Martin.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bigras is back tonight, as expected. Really like his game tonight. Not rusty at all. Some Barrie-esque moves with the puck but really like his physicality tonight. He's starting stuff, knocking guys over, he just laid on Fabbri at one point.

Got his first PP point too. Really nice game by Owen Sound, physical and aggressive but calm controlled and converted on their chances. Won't be easy but they could take the series for sure.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Watching the London - Kitchener game and the North Bay - Kingston game.

Wood is playing very well. North Bay doesn't let Kingston do much with the puck. The Bennett line has been shut down completely. North Bay with a very very strong showing tonight wow. It's 8-0 right now and Wood has an assist so far.

Magyar is pretty invisible. Have seen him play well down low a few times but it doesn't help that London is all over the ice. Everytime Marner is on the ice, he has the puck in the offensive zone and creates extremely good scoring chances. Could have 6-7 points if it wasn't for Patterson playing very well in net.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I love OHL playoff hockey. These players go all out. KIT/LDN ER/SAR were both games I watched where teams were at each others throats. "Finish your check" was the name of the game. Pavel Zacha was pretty good but wasn't able to do anything special.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You guys all use that streaming site that has hockey games from all the leagues?

None of the Sportsnet channels had the Owen Sound game for me. They all showed Peterborough/Oshawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad