Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Why would a replacement forward take a spot on the top line? Techi ically shouldn't he be the 14th forward now? Put Carter with kunitz and sid. Let kunitz retrieve..sid can play with it..carter can snipe it home.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not a big fan of this selection.

Marty St Louis is purely a goal-scorer. If he can't be used in a scoring role then he's going to be riding the pine.

There are more dynamic options available. Personally would've preferred Eric Staal or Claude Giroux.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Confirmed: Crosby REALLY hates Claude Giroux. Yzerman wanted Giroux on the original team, but Crosby vetoed it.

But St. Louis is a smart pick. He'll never take a bad penalty, he still has elite speed and can be a real force on the PP. I suppose Team Canada has enough tougher 2-way forces.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Marty St Louis is purely a goal-scorer. If he can't be used in a scoring role then he's going to be riding the pine.

There are more dynamic options available. Personally would've preferred Eric Staal or Claude Giroux.

You clearly haven't been watching the same St.Louis as the rest of us. He's been a force on BOTH ends of the ice. He's been TB's best player night in and night out.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

St. Louis IS NOT purely a goal scorer. What are you smoking? St. Louis is skilled with the puck in all situations.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

As a USA fan.... still WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO! :yo:

Why do you say that?

MSL is a good choice. I guess Giroux will regret what he said to Crosby during the playoffs for a long, long time.

That little bugger better back-check.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Why would a replacement forward take a spot on the top line? Techi ically shouldn't he be the 14th forward now? Put Carter with kunitz and sid. Let kunitz retrieve..sid can play with it..carter can snipe it home.

When you're starting with a pool of 14 of the best forwards on the planet, it's not necessarily arranging their icetime according to their "ranking" among the 14 that is going to yield the best results. Style/composition/chemistry are obviously in the mix if you're hoping to get the most from everyone in the lineup - not just your top line.

Now having said that, Carter is also a good fit - on paper, at the very least. I've learned to stop betting against Martin St. Louis a long time ago, though, and I don't think St. Louis is out of place anywhere in Team Canada's lineup, to be honest, whether he was a lock from day 1 or added last second as #14.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Get yer tinfoil hat out.

Giroux isn't on the team because Giroux sucked ass to start the year.
And he's on fire now, just as he was when the original team was named.

Are people thinking that the Giroux/Crosby conflict wasn't a factor? Of course it was.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
YESSSSSS! So glad MSL is gonna be there. He will play his heart out, and his leadership will hopefully keep the ship steady if Canada hits any rough patches.

Confirmed: Crosby REALLY hates Claude Giroux. Yzerman wanted Giroux on the original team, but Crosby vetoed it.
:laugh:
Confirmation for any of that? MSL is a completely deserving pick, and a much more natural fit as a natural winger, IMO. So this move says absolutely nothing, to me, about team politics.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
You're delusional if you think Crosby would ask to keep a deserving player off the team. The guy called Toews to make sure it was cool he was Captain for gods sake. Give your head a shake.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

I agree. Stevie Y. was going to pick his man. Claude Giroux is the better player and should have been selected to the team in the beginning. But saying that I am happy Claude was not selected for purely selfish reasons.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
:laugh: to anyone who doesn't

:help: Of course a total team dynamic matters.

You're right. That must be why Mike Richards was left off the team in 2010 when he and Crosby were going at it all the time in Pens/Flyers games, much more than Crosby and Giroux ever have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad