Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 151739

Goalies NHL Team

Carey Price Montreal Canadiens
Roberto Luongo Vancouver Canucks
Mike Smith Phoenix Coyotes

Forwards NHL Team

Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins
Steven Stamkos Tampa Bay Lightning
John Tavares New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Getzlaf Anaheim Ducks
Corey Perry Anaheim Ducks
Rick Nash New York Rangers
Patrick Sharp Chicago Blackhawks
Jamie Benn Dallas Stars
Matt Duchene Colorado Avalanche
Patrice Bergeron Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter LA Kings
Chris Kunitz Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau San Jose Sharks

Defense NHL Team

Drew Doughty LA Kings
Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo St.Louis Blues
Shea Weber Nashville Predators
Jay Bouwmeester St.Louis Blues
P.K. Subban Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Édouard Vlasic San Jose Sharks
Dan Hamhuis Vancouver Canucks

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
What did Benn do to deserve to make the team? I am assuming he will be a role player, 4th line, since he cant handle Ovie and Geno without Toews

Stamkos Crosby Kunitz
Sharp Toews Carter
Perry Getzlaf Nash
Marleau Tavares Benn
Bergeron
Duchene

Apparently we have no goaltending.

Last edited:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
What did Benn do to deserve to make the team? I am assuming he will be a role player, 4th line, since he cant handle Ovie and Geno without Toews

Stamkos Crosby Kunitz
Sharp Toews Carter
Perry Getzlaf Nash
Marleau Tavares Benn
Bergeron
Duchene

Big, can skate, nice hands, can pass, can shoot

What didn't he do?

Canuck71*

Stamkos Crosby Kunitz
Sharp Toews Carter
Perry Getzlaf Nash
Marleau Tavares Benn
Bergeron
Duchene

Clearly you haven't watched Dallas at all this year, and our goaltending is fine. I know it's difficult to be optimistic being an Oilers fan but trust Yzerman on his goalies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Mr. Stamkos is looking good for the Olympics.

Any word on Parise's foot?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Mr. Stamkos is looking good for the Olympics.

13634300731559302005.GIF

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I heard Stamkos will be back playing for T=bay even before the Olympic break,. Man I was dead wrong about his injury

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Subban scored the game winner and makes you laugh. What a nut. :)

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
30+ yr. Canada fan here, and I am just not happy with this roster. I'm still cheering but not completely happy. I'm not only an OIlers fan I follow and cheer for all Canadian Teams, I just happened to have been born in Edmonton in the 70s and grew up watching the Dynasty live in person that is all. I have no problem being optimistic. Boggles my mind though how so many PPG players were left off the team, Giroux, St.L, Letang, Neal, and a bunch of guys hovering around that mark as well. don't think it was wise to leave off Seabs either... I can't blame the goaltending on Yzerman, Hockey Canada needs to start developing some goalies. Brodeur might be old but man can he handle that puck.

Last edited:

jgoud*

30+ yr. Canada fan here, and I am just not happy with this roster. I'm still cheering but not completely happy. I'm not only an OIlers fan I follow and cheer for all Canadian Teams, I just happened to have been born in Edmonton in the 70s and grow up watching the Dynasty that is all. I have no problem being optimistic. Boggles my mind though how so many PPG players were left off the team, Giroux, St.L, Letang, Neal, and a bunch of guys hovering around that mark as well. don't think it was wise to leave off Seabs either... I can't blame the goaltending on Yzerman, Hockey Canada needs to start developing some goalies. Brodeur might be old but man can he handle that puck.
Letang and Brodeur should be nowhere near the team. As for Giroux, Neal and MSL being left off I disagree, but those guys were all on the fence anyway, and the team is still great.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Letang and Brodeur should be nowhere near the team. As for Giroux, Neal and MSL being left off I disagree, but those guys were all on the fence anyway, and the team is still great.

I hope Subban and Doughty don't take any bad penalties, and would it really have hurt to take Seabrook instead of Hamhuis?

Last edited:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Goalies NHL Team

Carey Price Montreal Canadiens
Roberto Luongo Vancouver Canucks
Mike Smith Phoenix Coyotes

Forwards NHL Team

Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins
Steven Stamkos Tampa Bay Lightning
John Tavares New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Getzlaf Anaheim Ducks
Corey Perry Anaheim Ducks
Rick Nash New York Rangers
Patrick Sharp Chicago Blackhawks
Jamie Benn Dallas Stars
Matt Duchene Colorado Avalanche
Patrice Bergeron Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter LA Kings
Chris Kunitz Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau San Jose Sharks

Defense NHL Team

Drew Doughty LA Kings
Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo St.Louis Blues
Shea Weber Nashville Predators
Jay Bouwmeester St.Louis Blues
P.K. Subban Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Édouard Vlasic San Jose Sharks
Dan Hamhuis Vancouver Canucks

who is the girl in your picture

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Big, can skate, nice hands, can pass, can shoot

What didn't he do?

His skating isnt all that great and might be a problem in the big if he plays with guys like getzlaf and perry.

He already played for canada on the big ice and did poorly.

He also does not bring elite offensive or defensive skills to the table. He is a very good player(not elite) whose skating might be a concern.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
His skating isnt all that great and might be a problem in the big if he plays with guys like getzlaf and perry.

He already played for canada on the big ice and did poorly.

He also does not bring elite offensive or defensive skills to the table. He is a very good player(not elite) whose skating might be a concern.

full agreement. He has decent skating for an NHL rink. On big ice his skating is below average and it showed at the WHC when he played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. would not be advisable to try that combo again.

I think his addition as well as Carter's and maybe even Nash was in reaction to the U.S. roster (size and speed)...had we named our team first there very well could have been 1 or two of that trio not making it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
full agreement. He has decent skating for an NHL rink. On big ice his skating is below average and it showed at the WHC when he played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. would not be advisable to try that combo again.

I think his addition as well as Carter's and maybe even Nash was in reaction to the U.S. roster (size and speed)...had we named our team first there very well could have been 1 or two of that trio not making it.

Why would Canada react to the USA roster? The Canadian roster is far better everywhere outside of goal, where by this point it is basically comparable. Sweden is the biggest threat, then probably Russia.

Benn should be viewed as a great candidate for limited playing time, for the reasons that have been said. His case is different from Nash and Carter though. Nash is simply not in form this year, but otherwise has a skillset that is suited to international play, plus additional experience. He should also see limited time if possible. Carter has a very valuable skillset for Canada, has always excelled internationally and is a great pick in my opinion. Carter does pretty much everything I want out of Canada's wingers.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why would Canada react to the USA roster? The Canadian roster is far better everywhere outside of goal, where by this point it is basically comparable. Sweden is the biggest threat, then probably Russia.

Benn should be viewed as a great candidate for limited playing time, for the reasons that have been said. His case is different from Nash and Carter though. Nash is simply not in form this year, but otherwise has a skillset that is suited to international play, plus additional experience. He should also see limited time if possible. Carter has a very valuable skillset for Canada, has always excelled internationally and is a great pick in my opinion. Carter does pretty much everything I want out of Canada's wingers.

Just my gut feeling! I think they flinched a little and took a few bodies that have size and skating. (and Benn I don't see to be a particularly good skater on big ice anyway. I don't see any reason for leaving MSL off the team. And you know I'm a Nash fan..but I would have dropped him in favor of MSL.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just my gut feeling! I think they flinched a little and took a few bodies that have size and skating. (and Benn I don't see to be a particularly good skater on big ice anyway. I don't see any reason for leaving MSL off the team. And you know I'm a Nash fan..but I would have dropped him in favor of MSL.

Benn had buzz in the months leading up to the selections, way before the American team was announced (nothing flinch worthy there either). I question Benn's value as well, but they seemed enamored with him from almost the start of the season.

I really wish there was a disclaimer for all of Canada that Benn has actually played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry before. It is very tiring seeing countless posters say how amazing it would bet to see those three together, when in fact it happened and it was not effective. Even worse is seeing multiple media members be so unaware of what has already happened and failed. Perhaps two years later they could be a bit better together, but at least be aware that there is precedent.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I was just curious about how much money that team is making this year alone.
Just a guess I'm going to say $135 Million

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
30+ yr. Canada fan here, and I am just not happy with this roster. I'm still cheering but not completely happy. I'm not only an OIlers fan I follow and cheer for all Canadian Teams, I just happened to have been born in Edmonton in the 70s and grew up watching the Dynasty live in person that is all. I have no problem being optimistic. Boggles my mind though how so many PPG players were left off the team, Giroux, St.L, Letang, Neal, and a bunch of guys hovering around that mark as well. don't think it was wise to leave off Seabs either... I can't blame the goaltending on Yzerman, Hockey Canada needs to start developing some goalies. Brodeur might be old but man can he handle that puck.

Price is probably top-3 in the league for puckhandling so that wouldn't be a problem if he's playing.

Not sure how good Luongo is at it though.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Benn had buzz in the months leading up to the selections, way before the American team was announced (nothing flinch worthy there either). I question Benn's value as well, but they seemed enamored with him from almost the start of the season.

I really wish there was a disclaimer for all of Canada that Benn has actually played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry before. It is very tiring seeing countless posters say how amazing it would bet to see those three together, when in fact it happened and it was not effective. Even worse is seeing multiple media members be so unaware of what has already happened and failed. Perhaps two years later they could be a bit better together, but at least be aware that there is precedent.

It just goes to show how little we value the WHC in Canada. Anything that happens there is meet with ya, so what and forgotten that it even happened the day after it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad