Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Wrong. It's his age. Despite other countries having selected their 18-19 year old rookies to their teams, the biggest reason is not because he's not good enough, but because there are too many players from Canada that have seniority and long-standing pedigree of experience in Stanley Cup playoffs, international play, etc. For Canada, no matter how good an 18 year old is, even if he was scoring 30 goals right now, he'd still not get picked. There is no question that some players have been picked now and in the past purely based on "history" and not current performance.

As I said, he has more goals than a lot of those other players in the running, and he's a better + rating (by a long shot), helped turned the Avs around from being last place in the West last year to 4th-5th place this year. It's a case of where if two players are of similar stats and talent, you go with the guy with experienced veteran over the rookie, plain and simple. It is no knock to him "not being good enough". You'll all eat your words in the next olympics when he gets the call. Bottomline is, Canada is STACKED and is the hardest team to make. If you're 18, even if you are gretzky, they are not going to pick you. You just don't pick an 18 year old while you still have a whole slew of seasoned allstar veterans to choose from.

Canada doesn't pick many 18-19 year olds because players they have depth of mature, elite players, while most teens are still maturingm especially in their all around game, and not yet at their peak.

and actually, I won't eat my words next Olympics, MacKinnon likely will be ready by then as he keeps improving on his impressive skills, but he's just not ready now. Nobody thinks MacKinnon is in the running now, and there's a reason for that. Even Tyler Seguin, who plays a similar game, is barely mentioned. Bringing up MacKinnon for this team makes no sense.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I remember Armstrong saying Jaden Schwartz was a consideration when the team was announced. I don't see him being chosen as Stamkos's replacement but as a Blues fan I would be crazy happy for the guy if he was.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
Babcock and the coaching staff are glued to the idea of 4 lefties/4 righties. thus a left handed d-man would replace him. That would be Mark Giordano. Although I think Seabrook is the better choice...but Seabrook is right-handed. It would be another mistake by Team Canada added on to about 2-3 other mistakes they made with the roster.

Why wasn't Giordano invited to the hockey Canada summer camp? He has been doing well since returning from a broken ankle.

Summer invites were Staal, Phaneuf, Methot and Alzner are all left D.

Seabrook being right handed is a strike against him plus I think there is concern about his foot speed on the big ice.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I agree that Seabrook is the better player probably.

I feel like Giordano is the best Lh-er, maybe I would consider Phaneuf if it was for NHL ice. But I feel like if they are really hard on 4LDx4RD, they'll pick Giordano. And, hell, that's not a bad choice at all!! He's been really great this season.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why wasn't Giordano invited to the hockey Canada summer camp? He has been doing well since returning from a broken ankle.

Summer invites were Staal, Phaneuf, Methot and Alzner are all left D.

Seabrook being right handed is a strike against him plus I think there is concern about his foot speed on the big ice.

as of today I would rate Giordano ahead of all those highlighted. Why he wasn't invited to the summer ball hockey tournament isn't important... neither was Benn.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Regarding MacKinnon: I really like his game and he is having a surprisingly good season, but he isn't close to making this team. Seguin right now is just a better version of MacKinnon, and he hasn't really been considered, whether right or wrong. MacKinnon being able to make Finland or Russia is irrelevant considering a ridiculous number of Canadians would have made those teams.

Regarding Hamhuis: I would wager that Boyle would be selected if Hamhuis was out. Shouldn't matter anyway, it's just the eighth defenceman. Seabrook was useless on small ice in 2010 in part due to speed issues - keep him away from this team.

This is what I would want to see with Stamkos out:

Duchene Crosby Carter
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Sharp Toews Bergeron
Marleau Getzlaf Perry
Nash
Kunitz

Ideally I could change four other forwards, but that isn't realistic. St. Louis (or Giroux) would also be a great fit as a playmaker with Toews/Sharp. Giving that Tavares line easy minutes against bottom 6 lines from other countries would be a huge boon for Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Regarding MacKinnon: I really like his game and he is having a surprisingly good season, but he isn't close to making this team. Seguin right now is just a better version of MacKinnon, and he hasn't really been considered, whether right or wrong. MacKinnon being able to make Finland or Russia is irrelevant considering a ridiculous number of Canadians would have made those teams.

Regarding Hamhuis: I would wager that Boyle would be selected if Hamhuis was out. Shouldn't matter anyway, it's just the eighth defenceman. Seabrook was useless on small ice in 2010 in part due to speed issues - keep him away from this team.

Duchene Crosby Carter
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Sharp Toews Bergeron
Marleau Getzlaf Perry
Nash
Kunitz

Ideally I could change four other forwards, but that isn't realistic. St. Louis (or Giroux) would also be a great fit as a playmaker with Toews/Sharp. Giving that Tavares line easy minutes against bottom 6 lines from other countries would be a huge boon for Canada.

Seabrook is a better player than he was 4 years ago. I agree though he was a little out of his element in Vancouver... I'd take him over Girodano ..at 7th or 8th man on the depth chart I couldn't less if he shoots left or right.. I'm taking who I think is the better player.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

Duchene Crosby Carter
Benn Tavares St. Louis
Sharp Toews Bergeron
Marleau Getzlaf Perry
Nash
Kunitz

Good idea.

I would try this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Carter
Sharp - Toews - Giroux / St.Louis
Benn - Tavares - Nash
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Bergeron
Marleau

Well, it doesn't really matter what line is first or fourth. The opposite team can't handle it all. :naughty:

Also, if Giordano is selected, I will rather see him paired with Doughty than Vlasic, but well, you can't go wrong really.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Yeah, my avatar tells you I'm biased, but if Stamkos can't go, I'd take Lucic. I don't see anyone on the roster who physically would SCARE the opposition, by which I mean cough up the puck when they see him bearing down on them, or think twice about hitting our stars too hard.

:shakehead. Got to skate with the elite........

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
For them to be delaying this pick and putting these guys through this all over again, there must be one hell of a debate . Giroux is the most versatile player, winger, CEnter, PP, kill penalties, run the second PP, and has the most points, should be a slam dunk.

I think,him skipping the summer camp ( Flyers almost forced him too) is the reason the old boys club are shunning him.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
And that's not a shot at St Louis, it is moronic that Giroux and MSL are not on the team over Kunitz, Benn, Marleau and Carter in the first place.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
And that's not a shot at St Louis, it is moronic that Giroux and MSL are not on the team over Kunitz, Benn, Marleau and Carter in the first place.

s6hstt.png

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
2 words...Losing Team. MSL was there in 2006 when Team Canada ended up in 7th and they were embarrassed
Both Yzerman and Babcock selected players that year and I figure MSL hasn't been chosen because of Babcock and the bad memories of 2006. I know it takes a whole team to lose but MSL was still part of that dreadful team and was 8yrs younger.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
I think Giroux should be on the team. Would of taken St.Louis over Carter too. The biggest reason I think both were overlooked is size.

Seems like they want a big team. Bergeron made it for defense and Duchene is an exception I guess. Would be nice to have big and fast players but Canada doesn't have much up front. Perry and Getzlaf have size but are slow. Benn has size, not sure about his speed though. Nash has it all, but he's not the most physical guy anyway.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
2 words...Losing Team. MSL was there in 2006 when Team Canada ended up in 7th and they were embarrassed
Both Yzerman and Babcock selected players that year and I figure MSL hasn't been chosen because of Babcock and the bad memories of 2006. I know it takes a whole team to lose but MSL was still part of that dreadful team and was 8yrs younger.
Yzerman and Babcock were not involved in 2006. That year was managed by the same management team of 2002 with Gretzky and gang. I believe Hitchcock is the one who is on both management teams?

I think Giroux should be on the team. Would of taken St.Louis over Carter too. The biggest reason I think both were overlooked is size.

Seems like they want a big team. Bergeron made it for defense and Duchene is an exception I guess. Would be nice to have big and fast players but Canada doesn't have much up front. Perry and Getzlaf have size but are slow. Benn has size, not sure about his speed though. Nash has it all, but he's not the most physical guy anyway.
I think they want a big team so not to be easily knocked out, but I don't think they want the team to be overtly physical as that would be unwise on the big ice surface.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
I think they want a big team so not to be easily knocked out, but I don't think they want the team to be overtly physical as that would be unwise on the big ice surface.

Guess so. I'm one of the few that seemed to like the Nash pick, because of his size and speed.

Macman

May 15, 2004
It's not likely to happen but I'd love to see Seguin on the wing with Crosby. More speed please.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Should Hamhuis not be able to go, I'd take Giordano without hesitation. On the ice he's pretty much on par with Hamhuis anyway (Hamhuis's advantage is that he has a much international resume), and plays a very similar low maintenance, reliable, defensive style. Both are great skaters. Its pretty clear that the managers and coaching staff want to maintain the LH - RH balance, which I understand and agree with.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

I was just about to post that. Yes it might not have been all MSL fault they lost in '06 but HC brass wants to take winners.

I think Eric Staal should be the player. He was great in 2012 and can play the wing, centre, kill penalties big body.

I don't care how his season is going he has picked it up recently +plus is 2012 experience of stepping up he is my choice.

If Yzerman was the GM of the Florida Panthers this whole Marty St-Louis thing would have never even gotten that big and the story would be about him losing in 06 and not being good enough in 2012.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

... Yzerman and Babcock didn't pick that team, and they also selected Nash twice despite being on that 2006 team.

I don't get why people complain about Marleau and Carter. They bring size and more importantly speed to Canada's wings, as well as goal scoring ability and strong defence. Canada isn't loaded with defensively responsible, goal scoring, fast wingers. There are extremely valuable players, and they bring a lot more than other players on the team like Perry, Nash, Kunitz or Benn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad