Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Sochhi,

These are coming for you.

ku-xlarge.jpg

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Must be horribly disappointing for Stamkos not to be able to go. Hopefully he finds some solace in the fact that his team mate and friend, who absolutely should have been on the roster in the first place, is the one taking his spot.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Kunitz/Duchene - Crosby - Carter
Sharp - Toews - Nash/Bergeron
Benn - Tavares - St Louis
Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry

...is how I'd line 'em up. Duchene will likely start off as the 14th forward, but I'd like to see him worked into the lineup during the first couple of games. Another option, in offensive situations, is to move St Louis up with Toews and Sharp as the playmaker on that line and drop Nash down to Tavares. In defensive situations, I'd want Nash or Bergeron up with Toews, though.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Proof? Gee, learn about the relationship between Sid and Claude. It's well documented.

I know it well. Broken wrists, bad playoff blood, and more.

Where is the proof that Crosby personally directed the management team to leave Giroux off the Olympic team? And why would they listen to him?

SteelFish87*

good choice with St Louis. Poor flyers fans whining about Giroux :cry:

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Proof? Gee, learn about the relationship between Sid and Claude. It's well documented.

Sure, they don't like each other. But MSL deserved the spot anyway and there's no evidence of Crosby having any say of Giroux not making the team. It's pure speculation.

nwaZ*

You're delusional if you think Crosby would ask to keep a deserving player off the team. The guy called Toews to make sure it was cool he was Captain for gods sake. Give your head a shake.

Yeah, it's a fun speculation but that's it really. Crosby is a team-player, there's no questioning that.

Bit weird to see a player like Giroux off the roster though. Should've been able to squeeze him in somewhere. Duchene felt like a lock for some reason I can't comprehend. Is it his skating? To see Rickie Ding-Dong on this team... :shakehead

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove

Where is the proof that Crosby personally directed the management team to leave Giroux off the Olympic team? And why would they listen to him?
Crosby is only the teams' captain and center of the 'total team' concept. Why indeed.

Sure, they don't like each other. But MSL deserved the spot anyway and there's no evidence of Crosby having any say of Giroux not making the team. It's pure speculation.
Agreed. St. Louis is still a smart pick for the euro game. Giroux deserved it a bit more considering St. Louis has cooled off lately, but St. Louis is still a solid pick. So the Sid/Claude rift is moot. The better 'total team' player was selected.

Serenade

Feb 5, 2008
MSL looks pretty agitated in this presser.

Agreed. He might be still sour from the first rejection. His body language, his word choice and tone is pretty clear. I'm sure he'll get over it though.

Gotta say, pretty happy for the guy.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yeah, it's a fun speculation but that's it really. Crosby is a team-player, there's no questioning that.

Bit weird to see a player like Giroux off the roster though. Should've been able to squeeze him in somewhere. Duchene felt like a lock for some reason I can't comprehend. Is it his skating?

Giroux made himself an easy target by skipping the orientation camp (even when other injured players went) and then starting the year off poorly. Add the fact that he would be yet another center asked to play out of position on the wing and it is not that surprising that he is not headed to Sochi.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Marty St Louis is purely a goal-scorer. If he can't be used in a scoring role then he's going to be riding the pine.

There are more dynamic options available. Personally would've preferred Eric Staal or Claude Giroux.

What a bizarre post. I am convinced you have never seen MSL play.

1. St Louis is not "purely a goal scorer". He's a playmaker more than anything, but really he can do it all.
2. He is replacing Stamkos, the best goal scorer in the league. So even if he WAS a "pure" goalscorer, you wouldn't want him replacing another goalscorer?
3. Eric Staal is not more dynamic than MSL.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Crosby is only the teams' captain and center of the 'total team' concept. Why indeed.

This is just pure speculation on your part until you can provide evidence that Crosby asked Hockey Canada that Giroux not be on the roster. Like most conspiracy theorists, you will not be able to provide any proof.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Agreed. St. Louis is still a smart pick for the euro game. Giroux deserved it a bit more considering St. Louis has cooled off lately, but St. Louis is still a solid pick. So the Sid/Claude rift is moot. The better 'total team' player was selected.

Still waiting for your explanation of the Mike Richards snub in 2010 to support your Giroux snub.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

There is no proof, don't expect to find any, and I have a hard time believing that Crosby would even presume to have input on the selection process or priorties. I have an even harder time believing that even Sidney Crosby could (or would, more importantly) talk or campaign a "more deserving" player out of a lineup anyway; even as the captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad