Pre-Game Talk: 2013 Playoff Avatar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I like "Stone Age Hockey" the most. Even with the great PS skills on this board, I'm afraid the LotR and Arnold themes will come out weird looking cropping in the players'/coaches' heads. It's also more open-ended which allows for more creativity when it comes to captions. I also like the self-deprecation aspect, but that is just personal taste.

Aliens worked out great because everyone just used one PS picture where Torts' face fit perfectly on Giorgio's head, and it was also very open-ended.

Yep, agree completely.

Meh. LOTR doesn't strike me as greatly as the Aliens one.

Indeed.

However it seems people are much more willing to at least attempt ideas and concepts for the LOTR idea, whereas the Arnold idea mostly has people just saying they'd prefer that.

Storyboarding:

Instead of people just saying they like an idea, why don't we try elaborating on them. This can be done with just a text description, or using pictures as well to illustrate the concept you'd like to convey. Simply saying, "Arnold rocks!" is neither helpful or creative.

As an "artist" I find some subjects more inspiring than others, and easy to work with. LOTR is definitely simple enough, and inspiring, but I don't think it really works well with our fanbase or team outside of the fact MZA is a hobbit.

JAM has a lot of room to work with, but I honestly find the concept boring, overused, and not in anyway clever.

The whole Arnold thing is really out of left field and I am not even sure I understand how it is related to Rangers hockey. Maybe I missed the reference.

Wheel of Misfortune seemed more appropriate when the team looked like dog **** for stretches. They're playing better now.

If someone can make a compelling case for any of these other than LOTR, which has been covered the most, I am listening. This is why we open the thread early, so we can get ideas flowing and have enough time to chose something great rather than just rush in to something average.

Edit: Right now I think "the system" and "stone age hockey" both have the most potential in both versatility and relationship to the team this season.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Lord of the Rings is actually full of little things that are appropriate for like, everything. Inspirational speeches and whatnot abound.

Also I believe the line is "You CAN not pass," which certainly applies to people on this team.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yep, agree completely.

Indeed.

However it seems people are much more willing to at least attempt ideas and concepts for the LOTR idea, whereas the Arnold idea mostly has people just saying they'd prefer that.

Storyboarding:

Instead of people just saying they like an idea, why don't we try elaborating on them. This can be done with just a text description, or using pictures as well to illustrate the concept you'd like to convey. Simply saying, "Arnold rocks!" is neither helpful or creative.

As an "artist" I find some subjects more inspiring than others, and easy to work with. LOTR is definitely simple enough, and inspiring, but I don't think it really works well with our fanbase or team outside of the fact MZA is a hobbit.

JAM has a lot of room to work with, but I honestly find the concept boring, overused, and not in anyway clever.

The whole Arnold thing is really out of left field and I am not even sure I understand how it is related to Rangers hockey. Maybe I missed the reference.

Wheel of Misfortune seemed more appropriate when the team looked like dog **** for stretches. They're playing better now.

If someone can make a compelling case for any of these other than LOTR, which has been covered the most, I am listening. This is why we open the thread early, so we can get ideas flowing and have enough time to chose something great rather than just rush in to something average.

I did a bunch of suggestions for "The System" in the Playoff Push thread, but it didn't seem to catch on and the thread sort of died. TBH I liked the potential of "The System" the most.

I prefer "The System" over LotR.

Partially because I'm a sucker for self-deprecating humour, and partially because I feel LotR is less clever. There is more potential in "The System" IMO. Just like there was a lot more potential in Aliens than "It's just pain".

"Trading your 40g scorer due to lack of jam" -The System

"X is playing well? Put him with Richards to get Brad going!" -The System or
"1st line is rolling? Let's break them up to get Brad going!" -The System

"Lundqvist saves every shot he sees? Block every shot you can!" -The System

*Portrait of Richards in Dallas uniform* "80gp-24g-67a-91p 1.14PPG" *Portrait of Richards in Rangers uniform* "35gp-6g-16a-22p 0.63PPG" -The System

*Portrait of Gaborik in Rangers uniform* "Scored 100+ goals in three seasons" *Portrait of Gaborik in Columbus uniform* "Didn't block shots" -The System

*Portrait of Mitchell in Rangers uniform* "16p in 63gp" *Portrait of Mitchell in Avs uniform* "17p in 36gp" -The System

Thought of another one:
*Pic of Brian Boyle* "5 points in 36 games. First PP unit" -The System

After thinking about it for a little while, it's hard to convey the "Stone Age" mentality and connect it to Rangers hockey in just two short statements.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What about a theme centered around, "We don't practice offense."

It could be a light-hearted take on the Rangers scoring woes and everyone's overreaction to Torts' original statement.

Frame one: A reference to something questionable a player or the team does offensively. A picture that relates.

Frame two: Torts at the podium, "We don't practice offense."

Frame three: Rangers Stanley Cup Playoffs 2013 frame.

Probably too simple, doesn't stand out in the clever department.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Lord of the Rings is actually full of little things that are appropriate for like, everything. Inspirational speeches and whatnot abound.

Also I believe the line is "You CAN not pass," which certainly applies to people on this team.

It's both.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Yep, agree completely.

Indeed.

Storyboarding:

Edit: Right now I think "the system" and "stone age hockey" both have the most potential in both versatility and relationship to the team this season.

I provided any idea involving the system on the previous page.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I provided any idea involving the system on the previous page.

I missed that one, It was great! :handclap:

I like "The System" or "We don't practice offence" best so far.

"Why does Richards always drop the puck off to the other team?", "We don't practice offence"

"Why are we dumping it in on the PP?", "We don't practice offence"

After some consideration I consider "The System" more flexible, it can relate to anything weird that is coaching related but "We don't practice offence" is restricted to offensive plays. I found it harder to come up with anything for the latter one.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I missed that one, It was great! :handclap:

I like "The System" or "We don't practice offence" best so far.

"Why does Richards always drop the puck off to the other team?", "We don't practice offence"

"Why are we dumping it in on the PP?", "We don't practice offence"

After some consideration I consider "The System" more flexible, it can relate to anything weird that is coaching related but "We don't practice offence" is restricted to offensive plays. I found it harder to come up with anything for the latter one.

Yeah and the lack of offense can also fit under "the system."

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of the arnold suggestions -- though I also don't get how it relates? If we're moving in the direction of those system/we don't practice offense, it should be noted that "We don't practice offense" can be used in two ways:

- Self deprecating humor.

- Cocky humor/show boating. (I.e. Slide of some highlight reel goal/play, next slide a picture of that player/Torts looking smug and the caption "We don't practice offense." The plays that stick out in my mind for this are the Nash to Hagelin pass earlier in the season, Nash highlight reel goals, and Cally shorthanded goal).

Last edited:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Another example of the system:

Pic of Boyle: "Open in the slot! Pass to the..."
Pic of Torts/Rock: "Brian what are you doing? GET TO THE F***IN BOARDS!" Or "IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE IN THE SLOT! GET TO THE BOARDS!"

"Le system"

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
Just my opinion of course, but LOTR idea is weak, lacks variety, and I have not watched a minute of it so I'm lost on its cleverness. I'd imagine there are many other posters that also don't have a clue about it..

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Couple other ideas based on popular memes... They can be used as a vehicle to make the theme "The system" / "We don't practice offense." Some not so great, but I'm just throwing **** out there to try to generate some ideas:

- I gotta have more cowbell meme with Christopher Walken turns into "Gotta have more jam"/"Gotta have more goals"/"Gotta have more dumps and chases"

Could have one of the players talking to Torts, saying something like "So, coach, I was thinking we should [INSERT HERE] [possibly "carry the puck into the zone," "practice offense," "fix the powerplay." Next slide, Torts saying "No, no, no. I got a fever, and the only prescription is more [INSERT HERE]." Last slide; "Gotta have more [INSERT]."

--

- McKayla Maroney unimpressed meme (with Torts head photoshopped onto her). The idea being that you take things that players have done well (which maybe aren't so JAM worthy, dumps and chase, etc), and add Torts is unimpressed in the background of it.

--

- Something using the Clint Eastwood RNC speech where he was talking to an empty chair. Replace Eastwood with Torts; team is off playing a game.

--

- Annoyed Picard / Rage comic -- use with annoying things that consistently happen to the Rangers / that they do.

Rangers dump the puck in on a power play. Annoyed picard.
Rangers get a power play. Annoyed picard.
Rangers give up an early goal. Annoyed picard.
Torts says "we don't practice offense." Annoyed picard.

--

- Star Wars / Yoda / Darth Vader theme.

Usable quotes:

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

"It's a trap!" (meme)

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." (could sub in replacement words and just use it as 'yoda wisdom')

"You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along."

"This is some rescue. You came in here and you didn’t have a plan for getting out?" "He’s the brains, sweetheart!"

"The force is strong with this one." / "Use the force, Luke."

"I suggest a new strategy. R2, let the wookie in."

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
"The system" themed avatars remind me of the "Yes we can ..." avatars from a few seasons back. Both allow for tons of creativity so that everyone can have distinguishable avatars. Much better than a LOTR theme, IMO.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Can we please not do something that's constantly beaten to death around here like jokes about "jam" or "the system?" Something different than the stuff that gets said every damn day around here would be much better.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can we please not do something that's constantly beaten to death around here like jokes about "jam" or "the system?" Something different than the stuff that gets said every damn day around here would be much better.
images

We pretty much have to do it now.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I think "Jam" or "the System" can allow for many creative avys.

Yeah, gotta include the "Dump and Chase" aspect of this system....like say :

"Pull the Goalie"..."Time to Dump and Chase"
"On the Powerplay"...."Time to Dump and Chase"
"Down by 3"...."Time to Dump and Chase"
etc.

Dump-and-Chase.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad