Pre-Game Talk: 2013 Playoff Avatar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kershaw

Nothing will ever beat Aliens anyway.

It's all moot!

GOAT avatar theme.

Maybe a late suggestion, but what about something with Han Solo "Never Tell me the Odds"?

That could fit in line when we play the Penguins, who are heavily favored. lol.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Where's a sample of the system? No offense, but I hate the first 2. So sick of "grumpy cat" memes on facebook. When did that become a thing? It was funny the first time maybe. It's also a very girly thing. I've never seen a grumpy cat meme shared by a dude.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You apparently do not remember the '16 Wins Later' theme from the '08 season. Gomez looking like a zombie (the way he played on the ice), how could you possibly beat that? :D

Aliens IMO was much better. Really funny. These first 2 are bad, no offense to who came up with them. Seriously, the grumpy cat has been REALLY played out on facebook. I don't know why we're bringing it to hockey. Not very appropriate for hockey avatars either.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Where's a sample of the system? No offense, but I hate the first 2. So sick of "grumpy cat" memes on facebook. When did that become a thing? It was funny the first time maybe. It's also a very girly thing. I've never seen a grumpy cat meme shared by a dude.

The poll was made prematurely and no system example was made yet.

*Bob Richards*

Probably end up scrapping this entire poll and starting anew. Let's clinch first! :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I voted for grumpy cat and here's what I want mine to be:

Opening frame with Sam and Joe: "Kessel hasn't scored in 12 games!"

Frame 2:

230px-Phil_Kessel_smiles_for_the_crowd_Toronto_Ontario_2010.jpg

"4 goals later....."

Grumpy Cat: "Thanks Sam"

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not a fan of the angry cat, nor the LOTR theme, then I'm a system kind of guy. As a proposal to contribute, I'm actually suggesting using quotes from Sun Tzu's book "The art of War." Although the text lines are rather long, that would be an issue.

For example...
"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard."
"Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack."
"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack."
"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance."
"If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near."
"To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence."
"When envoys are sent with compliments in their mouths, it is a sign that the enemy wishes for a truce."
"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move."

Callahan: "A leader leads by example not by force."
Hagelin: "Speed is the essence of war."
Zuccarello: "Great results can be achieved with small forces."
Richards: "All war is based on deception."
Boyle: "A military operation involves deception. Though effective, appear to be ineffective."
Asham (or someone more fitting): "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him."
Stepan: "Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate."
Lundqvist: "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster" or "Ponder and deliberate before you make a move."
Nash: "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
Girardi: "Thus the expert in battle moves the enemy, and is not moved by him."

Last edited:

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
Definitely prefer "the system" over anything can happen. I don't think people outside of the Ranger board would understand the sarcasm behind the theme.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I throw in a vote for "Anything can happen!"

Was going to suggest this after all the downers on this board have been jumping all over the optimists lately. But wanted to wait to clinch after Tuesday's performance. It works for both sides -- the downers can use it sarcastically/self-deprecating; the optimists can use it in a positive way.

Minus one vote for grumpy cat - plus one for anything can happen.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Was going to suggest this after all the downers on this board have been jumping all over the optimists lately. But wanted to wait to clinch after Tuesday's performance. It works for both sides -- the downers can use it sarcastically/self-deprecating; the optimists can use it in a positive way.

Minus one vote for grumpy cat - plus one for anything can happen.

Jumping all over the optimists? :biglaugh:

Please, it's quite the contrary; the optimists are the biggest and most arrogant "I told you so" crowd on this board. Meanwhile those of us who are skeptical have humbly eaten crow several times over the past two seasons. Oddly enough until recent history the skeptics and cynics have had a largely disproportionate amount of chances to throw it in the faces of the positive pushers, yet most remain silent because the actions of this franchise speaks for itself. We don't feel the need to throw salt in any open wounds. Until this team proves itself for more than one anomalous 82 game season of over-achievement, there is still no rational reason to believe we are wrong.

On topic, I think a new thread needs to be started and the vote restarted. If people feel the need to deliberate longer for more ideas then so be it. If one of the mods could lock this and start anew it would be appreciated.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I really think you should go with LOTR-theme. Why not have one with hope in it. And you could easily connect a lot of characters from the movies to the players. And it's similar with the "storyline" as well. On your way last season(it seemed) and then the setback, but still going on now.

Grumpy Cat is just boring and mainstream.

The System is also something you kind of had before (Torts kind of guy). Besides if going with something like this, "The System" is also pretty mainstream. Then it would have to be something like "System override" or "Theres a virus in the System" ---> hence breaking out of it to win.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Jumping all over the optimists? :biglaugh:

Please, it's quite the contrary; the optimists are the biggest and most arrogant "I told you so" crowd on this board. Meanwhile those of us who are skeptical have humbly eaten crow several times over the past two seasons. Oddly enough until recent history the skeptics and cynics have had a largely disproportionate amount of chances to throw it in the faces of the positive pushers, yet most remain silent because the actions of this franchise speaks for itself. We don't feel the need to throw salt in any open wounds. Until this team proves itself for more than one anomalous 82 game season of over-achievement, there is still no rational reason to believe we are wrong.

On topic, I think a new thread needs to be started and the vote restarted. If people feel the need to deliberate longer for more ideas then so be it. If one of the mods could lock this and start anew it would be appreciated.

Yeah, when several people go out of their way as the first thing they say after a win to clinch playoffs, to say something along the lines of "You're all fools for being excited for the playoffs" -- that is jumping all over the optimists.

And ya know what? I completely understand why you guys are pessimistic with this team's history. I just can't imagine it makes it fun to watch the games that way/be a fan.

But wow, defensive much? I was relating why the idea is relevant now, explaining why I like it, and giving a reason why it would work for both sides...

You can make your jokes about this being a bad team/fanbase being crazy stupid. Others can make self-deprecating jokes. And still others can use it to express confidence in the team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Yeah, when several people go out of their way as the first thing they say after a win to clinch playoffs, to say something along the lines of "You're all fools for being excited for the playoffs" -- that is jumping all over the optimists.

And ya know what? I completely understand why you guys are pessimistic with this team's history. I just can't imagine it makes it fun to watch the games that way/be a fan.

But wow, defensive much? I was relating why the idea is relevant now, explaining why I like it, and giving a reason why it would work for both sides...

You can make your jokes about this being a bad team/fanbase being crazy stupid. Others can make self-deprecating jokes. And still others can use it to express confidence in the team.

As far as I read it wasn't several people, it was only me and never once did I call anyone foolish. It's hilarious however for a brief period of time in the 3rd last night it was suddenly the cool thing to doubt the team and accept reality, until they tied it and won. It then became cool to once again think faniciful thoughts and hope against rationality that this team is something they are not whilst dumping on the few of us who stand by our convictions.

Anyway, "anything can happen" is the poster child of this team. I don't think any other theme even comes close to touching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino