Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Prime years from Stepan and McD at 5.5 mill cap each. That would be 1 of the better bargains going around.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
No goalie has ever or will ever be worth 9.5 cap hit. Hank included.

Would make significantly more sense to talk in terms of percent of total cap rather than absolute numbers as a statement like that will always be fault provided the number isn't outrageous (ex. 50M cap hit or something that does not make sense).

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
What team has the cap space to offer Hank 9.5m or more that is a legit contender? im all for giving him a raise and we have to keep him but damn..

Jan 8, 2012
NY
so u want Richards to get hurt because the Rangers might want to try and get another year out of Richards when they have the cap space next year to do so and a new offensive mindes coach on the very slim chance he gets hurt this season?

Is the new coach going to find Richards' brains and put them back into his head?

What if he does get injured? Then what? You're stuck with an overpaid third line center for the next six years. Have fun with that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Given that Lombardi obviously doesn't believe strongly in the 2nd contract (see: Drew Doughty), I don't know that I would read too much into what Voynov got. It's closer to McDonagh's value for sure, but I don't think it's less.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
Wasn't completely sure where to put this, but I'll put it here since Stepan's next deal has been a topic of conversation.

Corey Pronman did a 2008 Re-Draft at ESPN Insider. He had Stepan going 5th to the Maple Leafs:

5. Toronto Maple Leafs, C Derek Stepan, Shattuck St. Mary's (U.S. HS)

All Stepan has ever done is produce. He ranked No. 2 in 2009-10 in NCAA scoring, led the 2010 World Junior Championships in scoring, was a top player at the 2011 World Championships and emerged as a top-tier NHL center this year. He faced tough opponents, played in every situation for the Rangers and excelled. He has significant playmaking ability with the puck.
Toronto's original pick: D Luke Schenn
Where Stepan was picked: 51st overall (2nd round, N.Y. Rangers)

Del Zotto went 22nd to the Oilers. With the 20th pick, he had the Rangers taking Mikkel Boedker.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9398667/nhl-redrafting-2008-nhl-draft

Kershaw

Stepan and McDonagh have shown me that they're core pieces moving forward. Haven't really been this confident in a young player's abilities on the Rangers since Lundqvist and maybe Staal. Stepan is a high end 2-way C with proven elite defensive play and McDonagh's been a top 15 defender the past 2 seasons. They are both 23. I would look into locking these guys up at a 5-5.5m caphit for 8 years, the prime of their careers. Those would be insane bargain contracts with the prediction of a rising CBA. Unless one of them suffer a severe injury (knock on wood), I think they'll be well worth that contract. These aren't Dubinsky or Callahan type complimentary players, well above that level.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Sather is a stubborn old man. If he thinks Richards just had a bad year and will rebound, he'll keep him. Doubt he really wants to go into the season with only 3 "proven" centers. The organization got burned last year thinking Kreider would be ready to produce decent numbers in a significant role, doubt they want to leave the center position to either Miller (who was very raw) or Lindberg (who will face a learning curve coming from the SEL). It's easier than hunting in the free agent market and cheaper than having to give up assets in a trade.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Stepan and McDonagh have shown me that they're core pieces moving forward. Haven't really been this confident in a young player's abilities on the Rangers since Lundqvist and maybe Staal. Stepan is a high end 2-way C with proven elite defensive play and McDonagh's been a top 15 defender the past 2 seasons. They are both 23. I would look into locking these guys up at a 5-5.5m caphit for 8 years, the prime of their careers. Those would be insane bargain contracts with the prediction of a rising CBA. Unless one of them suffer a severe injury (knock on wood), I think they'll be well worth that contract. These aren't Dubinsky or Callahan type complimentary players, well above that level.

Agreed. Those contracts would be a coup.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Sather is a stubborn old man. If he thinks Richards just had a bad year and will rebound, he'll keep him. Doubt he really wants to go into the season with only 3 "proven" centers. The organization got burned last year thinking Kreider would be ready to produce decent numbers in a significant role, doubt they want to leave the center position to either Miller (who was very raw) or Lindberg (who will face a learning curve coming from the SEL). It's easier than hunting in the free agent market and cheaper than having to give up assets in a trade.

That's where my MDZ/Kreider+ for Byfuglien/Burmistrov deal comes in... two birds (PP QB/3C), one stone.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
So Danny Briere is a UFA now.
Considering he's buddies with Biron.
Would you consider getting him on a 1 one year deal at say $2 million?

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I'd take Briere for 3 mill. a year. Proven playoff performer.... big time playoff performer. If you're the Rangers, your window is still open and you're going for it.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Miller - Briere - Callahan
Dorsett - Boyle - Asham/Powe/Pyatt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad