Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Wow, and he just broke out as well (like Josi).

McDonagh may get more expensive than we'd anticipated. Try to get him and Stepan signed to 8 year deals below $6M. If we go for bridge deals, that severely limits our window of competitiveness since we will have to make a few tough decisions in 2-3 years otherwise.

McDonagh is arbitration eligible. No bridge deals for him. Josi got $28M for 7. Voynov got $25M for 6. Both of them weren't eligible for salary arbitration. They signed their ELCs between 18-20 and need 4 years. McDonagh signed at 21 and needs 3 years. He has all of the leverage. Stepan needs another year for salary arbitration.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Can we have Del Zotto play under a coach that wants him to actually use his offensive talent before we ship him off for a grinder? I'd like to see DZ and Moore have success in NYC.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Can we have Del Zotto play under a coach that wants him to actually use his offensive talent before we ship him off for a grinder? I'd like to see DZ and Moore have success in NYC.

I would like to see what Del Zotto can do under AV as well, but IF we can get a top forward for him I do it, only because he's going to be eligible for a bigger payday, and we can't really have all that money tied up in LHD (Staal, Mcd, Moore, Del Zotto)

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
so with Voynov in la getting 6yr deal and 4.18aav and logan getting 5yr-30m....

what the hell does stepan ad mcdonagh get???

bridge contracts have to be out of the question right? hahah

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
so with Voynov in la getting 6yr deal and 4.18aav and logan getting 5yr-30m....

what the hell does stepan ad mcdonagh get???

bridge contracts have to be out of the question right? hahah

RangerBoy says McD is arbitration eligible, so there won't be a bridge deal.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
So many teams are re-signing their players. The Rangers are sitting on their hands. The GM was on vacation in California until today when he had to board a flight to Boston for NHL GM meetings tomorrow. They haven't officially announced the hiring of Vigneault because Sather was in California. It took the Dallas Stars offering Vigneault a contract to wake Slats out of his slumber or the coaching search would still be going on. 70 year old President and GM.

I'm pretty sure that was because they are still working on details of the contract with Vancouver, who pays what, etc.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
It was also reported that the Rangers had talks with Mcdonagh already. So I guess the Rangers weren't sitting on their ***** too much. Maybe they management just wanted to take a short break away from nyc.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Sure. Use the Richards buyout finances to lock our lads up. Hank, Stepan, McDonagh.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Veteran agent Don Meehan expects to meet with Rangers GM Glen Sather in New York/New Jersey the week of the draft to talk extension on star goalie Henrik Lundqvist. That’s going to be an expensive re-sign. …

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25403/rumblings-letang-briere-coaches-more

More from Pierre

A couple of thoughts on each deal: First in Detroit, where I wonder what the Datsyuk signing means for pending UFA center Valtteri Filppula. In a weak UFA class, Filppula can likely fetch north of $5 million on the open market, and I think that coin is too rich for Detroit. Expect the Wings and Zito, also Filppula’s agent, to meet next week at the draft though.

Dreger said on NHL Live that Zito wants $5.5M per. MAX contract.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TSN Insider Trading

Lundqvist. $9.5M per. Malkin $$$. The Rangers are going to argue that Rinne is getting $7M. Good luck with that.

Richards. No decision has been reached but McKenzie said he would guess the Rangers might perhaps wait a year to buyout Richards hoping Vigneault might push his buttons.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/949678/clip/560

I hope Richards can't be bought next June because of an injury and the Rangers are so stuck. Stupid organization.

They can't afford that contract going forward and pay the other players especially with Henrik being a Kings ransom.

Even if AV pushes the buttons on Richards and plays well,they can't afford the contract. Cap recapture. The entire thing is moronic.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Oh come on. It's a cost-benefit. 1 more year of a star center vs the risk of an injury.

I don't wish any ill on the risk taker here.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I don't understand how Hank can get that much money. This contract would take him until he was 40! He can be the highest paid goaltender in the league without getting paid over 2.5 mil more than the next highest.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I don't understand how Hank can get that much money. This contract would take him until he was 40! He can be the highest paid goaltender in the league without getting paid over 2.5 mil more than the next highest.

Yeah I'm a little baffled by it too. 7-8 million I could see but 9.5? That's ****ing insane.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think what it boils down to is this:

Would you rather overpay Henrik for the legacy as one of the best NYr players ever, and cost NYR a few extra million on the cap each year, or...

Start from scratch, try to find a replacement, and hope the extra couple million gets spent on a better option than Gomez/Drury/Richards.

I know what boat I'm on here. Pay the legend.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Oh come on. It's a cost-benefit. 1 more year of a star center vs the risk of an injury.

I don't wish any ill on the risk taker here.

Richards is no longer a star center. He gets paid like one. Richards didn't play like a star center in 11-12 either. Any type of injury prevents the Rangers from amnestying Richards. I am not wishing a career ending injury. Richards suffers a torn labrum like Callahan and Hagelin. Can't be bought out. A 4-6 month injury which requires surgery after the season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I think what it boils down to is this:

Would you rather overpay Henrik for the legacy as one of the best NYr players ever, and cost NYR a few extra million on the cap each year, or...

Start from scratch, try to find a replacement, and hope the extra couple million gets spent on a better option than Gomez/Drury/Richards.

I know what boat I'm on here. Pay the legend.

Pay Lundqvist. You still need $$$ to fill out the roster. Its hard to accomplish that with Richards having a $6,666,667 cap hit. Even if Richards has a good season,the Rangers will still need to buy Richards out because of cap recapture. Its not worth the risk.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
$9.5M for Hank, as much of a legend as he is, is hard to stomach. I can't say he doesn't deserve it or isn't "worth it"...but it throws a wrench into the construction of the roster that's for sure.

I don't know if I could handle seeing him play for any other team. Emotionally I'm definitely in the "pay the man" camp. But that's a lot of dough. If that's what he signs for it's time to pull a Hasek and get this team to the SCF, fair or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad