Post-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft - The BoHo Era Begins

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Well, it only took us 34 years to draft a goalie like Schneider and an additional 7-8 to get him to the show, so I reckon finding another shouldn't be any trouble at all, right?

That speaks more to the past failures not present ones. Eddie Lack and Joacim Eriksson look very promising.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Couple today's adds of BoHo, Shinky and Subban3 with free agent gets ERIKSSON and Lain, and I'm guessing the next Hockey News prospect report card sees us jump from 28 to 10-15. Still would like to clear some more cap room to get some useful pieces on July 5th FA frenzy (or later)...

I'm with ya bro!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I think the Canucks quietly started a rebuild today.

Ironic that it coincided with Calgary's.

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I think taking Horvat over Nichushkin is going to be seen as one of those Kopitar/Perron debacles but Horvat will still be a NHL player in a lesser capacity

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Outside of the WJC's he really hasn't been that impressive. Good prospect with flashy tools, but I don't see why he was viewed as a potential top-5 pick. Not to mention the KHL factor...

He's solid value where Dallas got him IMO but it's not like we passed up on a future franchise cornerstone.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006

I know a lot of people believe we should be going all in trying to win a championship with this team in their current window however I don't think management necessarily believes that. If we really wanted to go all in we would have traded Hodgson for something that would of helped this team win over the last two years instead they went with a prospect.

I honestly believe Gillis is trying to build a team that is good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out while hoping that one year it all just clicks and things go our way.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Ironic that it coincided with Calgaries.

Calgary got some good prospects, but give their draft positions they didn't exactly blow me away. All things being equal, I'd rather Horvat and Shinkaruck than Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuck.

#6 - Sean Monahan - Can't really argue to much if that was the player they liked. He was ranked between 5 and about 8 on most peoples lists. CGY wanted a Centre; Barkov was gone and they obviously like Monahan more than Horvat or Lindholm.

#22 Emile Poirier - This was a bit of a reach. I don't think anyone had him in the first round. He could have easily been taken with their 3rd pick at #28. Big mistake. I can only guess they were looking for size, so passed over Shinkaruck and Zykov. I think they should have taken Fucale and would very likely have been able to take Poirier at #28.

#28 Morgan Klimchuck - not a bad pick, but Fucale would have served them better, and Erne and Zykov were on the board. Perhaps they still think Leland Irving is the answer? Not a win, not a loss, just an okay pick.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't understand why people keep saying this. Outside of the WJC's he really hasn't been that impressive. Good prospect with flashy tools, but I don't see why he was viewed as a potential top-5 pick. Not to mention the KHL factor...

He's solid value where Dallas got him IMO but it's not like we passed up on a future franchise cornerstone.

As I said earlier, great pick for Dallas - they will open a roster spot no questions asked and he will come over. Could the Canucks promise the same?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
As I said earlier, great pick for Dallas - they will open a roster spot no questions asked and he will come over. Could the Canucks promise the same?

we do need a third line center so maybe he can complete for that spot but he might be suited for top 6 either wing or center

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
@Aportzline: Canucks GM Mike Gillis just walked out of the Galaxy Diner in Midtown with a player the #NYR drafted and that player's father.

Tamby?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
@Aportzline: Canucks GM Mike Gillis just walked out of the Galaxy Diner in Midtown with a player the #NYR drafted and that player's father.

Tamby?

Probably just being friendly with them being canucks fans and former employee.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Today was bold. It was also desperate and crazy. I'm fully understanding why some Canucks fans are feeling horrified today, but I also understand - I think - the reasoning behind the moves that Gillis has made before and is making today.

At the very least, it's pretty interesting. From what I read, both the first rounders are quality players, and the team has been thoroughly shaken up!

yoss

May 25, 2011

Tamby?
Whhaaaaat? What could it mean?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

Only we still have a chance at a smooth transition where we may not even miss the playoffs.

Looking at all the stats (including playoffs) and scouting reports there is very little to chose from when comparing Monohan(6) v Horvat(9) and Poirier(22) v Shinkaruk(24). I honestly can't say which club has made out better here. For the first time, the selections are so close the fanbases can really get at each other. Plus the burden of earlier choice is on them.:sarcasm:

Calgary had a bottom 5 roster even before they traded their best forward and D and now stands poised to challenge the Oilers record for futility, while Nucks are in no real danger of collapse as the goaltending (if Lou is cool) and D are all pretty strong. And now we've some forwards that have the potential to take on top end roles when the vets start to really decline.

Drafts sure have a way of stimulating hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad