Post-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft - The BoHo Era Begins

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Leafs get an A- with Button in the draft.

Lol not surprising, after all it is TSN.

Klimchuk is a 200ft player, Shinkaruk is not.

He was the BPA, which is why this is difficult to pursue. It was more about getting a Horvat type later on, in which case the traits of say Erne would be favoured over the more 1way talent of Shinkaruk.

Basically, draft like players instead of complimentary players. If they valued those traits so highly in Horvat to take him 9th overall, why didn't they do it again with a player like Klimchuk or Erne? I guess they gave thought to the Sedins' decline and say why not, take the scorer.

I don't entirely agree, I think Klimchuk is a better 2-way player than Shinkaruk but not to the level of elite in this draft.

Anyways main the point I wanted to make is that we have alot of two-way guys, not alot of top end talent, we have Gaunce already, we had already taken Bo, so this pick was the correct one.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm not crazy about the Williamson pick. Other than that I am happy with the others.

Cassels I'm so-so on, I think there were better prospects but I think he has upside and I always like taking OHL kids in the mid/later rounds.

I wish we had taken Lees with our 7th rounder though

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Bo also brings the offense. My point is why introduce the gamble when they had 20th ranked Erne sitting there? Far less of a gamble, and still had top6 upside.

I was fine to draft Erne at 24 as well - until Shinkaruk fell into our laps. And while I understand the risks inherent in taking a falling player, why doesn't the same reasoning apply to Erne, who also fell about 8-12 spots from his consensus ranking?

Shinkaruk - Ranked 8-12 range, fell to 24
Erne - Ranked 18-24 range, fell to 33

Given that both players ultimately fell out of their projected spot - in hindsight (which is a benefit we fans have today) - why would you lament us taking the higher ranked faller over the lower ranked faller?

In terms of choosing similar qualities in players, based on the Horvat pick, that may hold as a general principal but I don't think that it holds in practice. If Drouin fell to 9, I don't think Vancouver takes Horvat, even if he is the 'type' of player we value most. At some point BPA has to outweigh drafting philosophy.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Reading more and more about our two first rounders and I'm getting pumped. Should be really exciting to see these guys develop.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm not crazy about the Williamson pick. Other than that I am happy with the others.

Cassels I'm so-so on, I think there were better prospects but I think he has upside and I always like taking OHL kids in the mid/later rounds.

I wish we had taken Lees with our 7th rounder though

Not unhappy with our 7th pick though, 6th I don't like. Would have liked a shot at guessing the next super smurf to go undrafted then rise in the draft ie Sven Andrighetto. Sergei Tolchinsky with the 6/7th wouldn't have be a bad punt.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Not unhappy with our 7th pick though, 6th I don't like. Would have liked a shot at guessing the next super smurf to go undrafted then rise in the draft ie Sven Andrighetto. Sergei Tolchinsky with the 6/7th wouldn't have be a bad punt.

Wasn't Andrighetto chosen in the 3rd round? Right after Cassels?

I do agree on Tolchinsky though, I just liked Lees upside and that he plays for the Rockets, I would have liked either over Williamson.

I do like the 7th rounder though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wasn't Andrighetto chosen in the 3rd round? Right after Cassels?

I do agree on Tolchinsky though, I just liked Lees upside and that he plays for the Rockets, I would have liked either over Williamson.

I do like the 7th rounder though.

Sven is 20, been around.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So to answer your question, no it's not quantifiable or measurable in any tangible way and yes, there are many examples of defensively responsible players growing in to offensive talents and vice versa, but I would think it's much easier for a coach to teach defensive positioning, boardplay, responsibility in all 3 zones than say putting a puck into a mail-slot with a defender on your back would it not be?

i would say that offensive stars are obviously more easy to appreciate and clearly get all the focus when they're growing up (and more opportunities) but i don't really think defence is any more easily taught than scoring - just that the current system creates defensively suspect scoring players more than the opposite and so preaching defence is going to be an area with more deficit and more opportunity for growth

Yeah there is. One of Gabe Desjardin's most famous posts where he shows how point production at each level declines.

Almost every guy who is to us bottom-6 were 30-50 goal scorers in junior. You play against these guys, and they can absolutely light it up. There is absolutely a level of offensive skill that is mostly derived from talent that can't be taught.

the post doesn't directly address my question though, and so it's not written in a way that accounts for the survivorship bias that would exist in the nhl today. players that are defence first that actually have top notch defensive skills are successful in lower leagues because they have some offensive skill as well to justify the coach giving them ice time, because offensve and big numbers are easier to appreciate than defensive awareness

i'm not sure that it's actually a thing i could go about quantifying. i don't think i have the tools to do so. note: i'm not actually convinced or trying to argue one way or another, i was only asking if work has been done on the issue directly

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
2nd rounders or worse rarely play a game in the NHL but I think we took some good fliers on a our later round picks and maybe one of them turns out good. We should all be ecstatic that we got 2 guys that are top 10 draft talents. We've always seemed to have the choice in our first round selections of going for the 'safe' well rounded player that will be an NHLer or the HomeRun hit for the guy who might be an All-star, we got to pick one of each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad