2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The Hockey News Draft Preview has Gauthier 30th overall. Says he has no physical side to his game and so-so competitively. Compared him to a Hanzal.

If Gauthier falls that far I will be ecstatic. In my opinion, he's a top-20 pick with big upside. A project for sure but he definitely has an NHL future. Several people are saying Mantha could fall as well. Tell me those wouldn't be stereotypically perfect picks for the Canadiens.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
If Gauthier falls that far I will be ecstatic. In my opinion, he's a top-20 pick with big upside. A project for sure but he definitely has an NHL future. Several people are saying Mantha could fall as well. Tell me those wouldn't be stereotypically perfect picks for the Canadiens.

would love mantha, not too keen on gauthier. Can't see this organization drafting a kid with work ethic problems like him with our first pick.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Hockey News Draft Preview has Gauthier 30th overall. Says he has no physical side to his game and so-so competitively. Compared him to a Hanzal.

With Gauthier's play there was a noticeable drop in Feb and March, my opinion is that he hit the "rookie wall" and his play suffered. Once he got a few weeks rest and recuperation he was back to himself and one of the better players on Team Canada at the U18.

He isn't the most physical guy, but not "soft" either. As a center I don't see that as a big deal, he's been willing to go to the dirty areas and block shots, that to me is more important for a center than being physical. I see his upside as similar to Plekanec in a 6'5" package. Low end #1 center or high end #2 on a contender. 70 piint potential plus strong defensive play. People forget that he was on an 85 point pace before Feb 1st.

I think even if you have to trade a 3rd to trade up, if you can get a guy like that any time after #20 you're getting a great pick IMHO.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 3m Samuel Henley (Val d’Or) has been invited to the #habs draft combine in June. Via @drouinalex

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45152

These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key, the Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers,

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 3m Samuel Henley (Val d’Or) has been invited to the #habs draft combine in June. Via @drouinalex

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45152

These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key. The Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers (Plekanec,Desharnais,Eller) the Habs drafting a big center that plays defence and wingers with size to complement their smaller scorers, are huge concerns. As are the size of the defence corps adding Diaby, Morin or Santini to the propspects coming is a necessary duty if the Habs are to compete with St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim for the SC, first of course there are the Eastern teams to deal with. Without having talented big men in their lineup they may as well spin their collective wheels until they pass out. Go Big Go should be the Habs chant at the 2013 Entry Draft. IMHO.:nod:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Impressive stat, Rychel leads all teammates by a 32 point gap as Windsor's top scorer, Vail is 2nd at 55 points.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
would love mantha, not too keen on gauthier. Can't see this organization drafting a kid with work ethic problems like him with our first pick.

Hadn't heard or seen any work ethic problems until the Hockey News preview. His conditioning isn't spectacular but I wouldn't say that he has a bad work ethic, seems like a very driven player.

These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key, the Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers,

Though it's not a popular opinion, I'd trade up for Gauthier and/or Mantha. I'd rather we guarantee ourselves high-impact prospects than hope for the best to drop to us. I'd cash in our 4 picks in the 1st and second for two 1sts around 15-20. I think the top-20 is a cut above 20-50.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The biggest problem with the THN draft preview is they release it WAY TOO EARLY.

They should wait for the end of the U-18 to do their rankings, if not the end of the Memorial Cup. Release your draft issue early June.

After Gauthier's U-18, I am fairly certain he'd be much higher than 30th if the rankings were done now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

They're not stereotypical Timmis pick.

Though it's not a popular opinion, I'd trade up for Gauthier and/or Mantha. I'd rather we guarantee ourselves high-impact prospects than hope for the best to drop to us. I'd cash in our 4 picks in the 1st and second for two 1sts around 15-20. I think the top-20 is a cut above 20-50.

Trading up to guarantee that we pick two players that are on the same level, or lower than 30-40 others ? This draft is deep, I'll tell you that. I'd much rather we draft the other Q guys(or them) without spending assets rather than moving up to just draft a player equal in talent to alot, just because he has the right name and the right size. This is ridiculous.

Watched some of my games I had saved... Nastasiuk looks awesome. I'm of the idea that our prospect pool is too similar... High-iq/Skill forwards everywhere. But we have no real energy big bodies. Nastasiuk would fit that well! Justin Bailey would help us there too.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
They're ot stereotypical Timmis pick.

Trading up to guarantee that we pick two players that are on the same level, or lower than 30-40 others ? This draft is deep, I'll tell you that. I'd much rather we draft the other Q guys(or them) without spending assets rather than moving up to just draft a player equal in talent to alot, just because he has the right name and the right size. This is ridiculous.

I'm not solely looking to move up for Gauthier/Mantha. As I said, the top 20 and especially those that fall out of the top-15 are players that I think will be above those available at 25-40. I'm talking Wennberg, Ristolainen, Pulock, Mueller, Mantha and to a lesser extent (as he seems to have fallen) Gauthier. In no way are there 30-40 players that are above Mantha and Gauthier in terms of skill, let alone size and skill.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

...Seriously, if you tell me that I'd draft Martin Hanzal at at 30th overall, I'm jumping on the occasion right away...

Analyzer*

Hanzal is very competitive and physical...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
They're not stereotypical Timmis pick.

Watched some of my games I had saved... Nastasiuk looks awesome. I'm of the idea that our prospect pool is too similar... High-iq/Skill forwards everywhere. But we have no real energy big bodies. Nastasiuk would fit that well! Justin Bailey would help us there too.

I have to agree with both Nastasiuk and Bailey being the new Habs type of player. For the later rounds there are many real talented forwards to be had Daniel Lafontaine that was a teammate of Bailey's playing for Pat Lafontaine at Long Island Royals. Then Taylor Cammarrata and Chris Clapperton another two centers with dazzling moves and Raphael Lafontaine whose speed and flair while being the Capt. of Acadie-Bathurst are just a couple of players that ooze talent but can be picked with a 6th or 7th pick due to their small size. Bailey and Nastasiuk will be there when the Habs start to draft IMO.:nod: they are great picks.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
...Seriously, if you tell me that I'd draft Martin Hanzal at at 30th overall, I'm jumping on the occasion right away...

Hanzal is the polar opposite of Gauthier. He's a perimeter player... He's more like ...Handzus, Zajac and Couturier.

I'm not solely looking to move up for Gauthier/Mantha. As I said, the top 20 and especially those that fall out of the top-15 are players that I think will be above those available at 25-40. I'm talking Wennberg, Ristolainen, Pulock, Mueller, Mantha and to a lesser extent (as he seems to have fallen) Gauthier. In no way are there 30-40 players that are above Mantha and Gauthier in terms of skill, let alone size and skill.

10-30 are a mix up. I'd even say 40. There's a whole lot of people who could fall/rise to our pick. You can't trade a pick in a draft deep like this one. Look up my 1st round mock I did two pages ago.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hanzal is the polar opposite of Gauthier. He's a perimeter player... He's more like ...Handzus, Zajac and Couturier.

I know that -- I've seen Gauthier live quite a few times this year. But the comparison was with Hanzal... and if you can draft a Martin Hanzal 30th overall, well, you do it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Saw Gauthier quite a few times this year live. He will not initiate hits. Not a whole lot. When he does, it is stricly by the book...to separate the man from the puck. So it's not really in him to be physical....but people needs to make the difference between hating it or being worried to hit and be hit, and just not being his game and concentrating on other things in his game. Gauthier is really a thinker on the ice. I'll tell you, from up close, you almost see him thinking. But he will not be afraid of being hit. I believe it is something you could see Gauthier learning as he progresses. He will clearly be open to the coaches' comments as they will surely ask him to involve himself more in the play.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Saw Gauthier quite a few times this year live. He will not initiate hits. Not a whole lot. When he does, it is stricly by the book...to separate the man from the puck. So it's not really in him to be physical....but people needs to make the difference between hating it or being worried to hit and be hit, and just not being his game and concentrating on other things in his game. Gauthier is really a thinker on the ice. I'll tell you, from up close, you almost see him thinking. But he will not be afraid of being hit. I believe it is something you could see Gauthier learning as he progresses. He will clearly be open to the coaches' comments as they will surely ask him to involve himself more in the play.

That's why I compared him to Handzus... Which I think is not too far off what he will be. He's not the kind of player we need in our prospect pool and he likely won't be BPA as they're 20 other players like him.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
There is just too many guys that "should go top 20"

Bodes well for our top 3 picks. I get the feeling the picks at 34 & 36 (?) will be in the same tier as our 1st pick.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I know that -- I've seen Gauthier live quite a few times this year. But the comparison was with Hanzal... and if you can draft a Martin Hanzal 30th overall, well, you do it.

He slipped to 25 in the mock. Habs gotta be workin the phone to trade up for him at that point.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I swear you guy's get delusional like some leafs fan when a 6'4 QC center is in question :laugh:
Leafs fans lose it too when they see a 6'4" Quebec center? Cherry will have a heart attack!

I think you're underestimating Gauthier. From the limited games I've seen, if he falls to us I'd take him without a moment's hesitation. I know tournaments don't paint the whole picture but Gauthier came to play the last three games of the U18. The three most important games.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Leafs fans lose it too when they see a 6'4" Quebec center? Cherry will have a heart attack!

I think you're underestimating Gauthier. From the limited games I've seen, if he falls to us I'd take him without a moment's hesitation. I know tournaments don't paint the whole picture but Gauthier came to play the last three games of the U18. The three most important games.

I would pick him too. Not without thinking about it, but I'd probably pick him.

But to move in the top 20 to take him is dumb. There's much better than him in the top 20.(Albeit probably smaller and not french.)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

What I find dumb is that some label him a "shut down center" and by association a 3rd line center. The guy was on pace for 85 poits until a late season slide and he once again showed strong offensive skill at the U18. Lots of NHLers are good defensively and still 1st or 2nd line centers...Datsyuk Plerkanec J.Staal Bergeron M.Koivu H.Sedin Backes etc

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What I find dumb is that some label him a "shut down center" and by association a 3rd line center. The guy was on pace for 85 poits until a late season slide and he once again showed strong offensive skill at the U18. Lots of NHLers are good defensively and still 1st or 2nd line centers...Datsyuk Plerkanec J.Staal Bergeron M.Koivu H.Sedin Backes etc

No one ever labeled him a shutdown C... We question his upside.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I swear you guy's get delusional like some leafs fan when a 6'4 QC center is in question :laugh:

No one can be delusional as a Leaf fan!:laugh:

Habs have been needing a big center since forever...and one comes along out of QC with skill, smarts, vision, every skill required...they have been waiting as long for one of those as the Leafs have for a cup.

The real problem is that his name reminds everyone of the most unpopular Habs GM since...Grundman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad