2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kreider has been as bad as "Lebust" this year. I know he was great in the playoffs but there's still plenty of reason to doubt his NHL upside.

But I do think we should be targeting reward in the first round this year, which is why Gauthier underwhelms me. If we go with a forward the focus should be on offensive upside.

I'm skeptical it will happen two years in a row but the best case scenario is that teams get afraid of European forwards like they were last year so Zykov falls to us, but that's basically a dream.

When has Kreider been great in the playoffs? He's yet to play a game this year and he barely did anything with NYR last year. He scored a couple garbage goals, but that hardly defines "great".

I find Gauthier has a lot more room to grow than Zykov, whom to me is a "safe" pick because his game and his body is already close to what he will be in 3-4 years. Gauthier still has some filling out to do and this being his rookie year in the QMJHL I think you'll see his game take off next year. He probably won't match Zykov as a goal scorer but he brings more in a lot of other areas, playmaker, plays center, two way game plus size(once filled out he'll be a lot bigger).

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
When has Kreider been great in the playoffs? He's yet to play a game this year and he barely did anything with NYR last year. He scored a couple garbage goals, but that hardly defines "great".

I find Gauthier has a lot more room to grow than Zykov, whom to me is a "safe" pick because his game and his body is already close to what he will be in 3-4 years. Gauthier still has some filling out to do and this being his rookie year in the QMJHL I think you'll see his game take off next year. He probably won't match Zykov as a goal scorer but he brings more in a lot of other areas, playmaker, plays center, two way game plus size(once filled out he'll be a lot bigger).

He'll be gone wayyyyyyy before that. In fact I think he'll be gone before our 1st unless we trade up.

From the little bit I watched Kreider during the playoffs he did contribute positively to his team. He scored goals and produced offence. This little spurt of activity during a critical time increased his perceived ability and value through the roof. He's still a B prospect in my eyes and likely won't play much past the 3rd line.

If he fills out his 6'5 frame he'll be huge. This is his first year experiencing the endurance stretch at the QMJHL level. His conditioning will improve come next year and then you'll see a big boost to his skating and involvement in the play. One thing you notice with Gauthier is that he always plays on the safe side of the puck, he rarely fully commits to offence. He constantly hangs back on the play and covers defensively. You can take that as a positive or as a negative but I think it makes his style of game more NHL ready than many prospects. A little bit of tinkering with coaching, conditioning and committing and he'll improve offensively.

Mantha is on the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of play. He plays the high-risk offensive game that may have trouble sticking in the NHL but if and when it does you've got a top-line player. He plays an alright defensive and physical game but it's not where he excels. I think they have very similar athletic and physical potential with perhaps Mantha having the skating edge and Gauthier having the size edge. Mantha has a better chance at playing on a top line but Gauthier has a better chance at playing in the NHL.

I can honestly say after watching the likes of Horvat, Hartman, Mccaron, DLR, Burakovsky, Compher, Petan, Zykov, Carrier, Dauphin etc. I would much rather have Gauthier or Mantha on the team. Once you've watched players enough you start to notice the weaknesses in their games and I think that's what's happening with Mantha and Gauthier. We scrutinize their play and after watching a couple of games of another player the comparison isn't there anymore. If we could pick up either one (or both :sarcasm:) I would be very happy at the draft.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
And I sit back hoping Burakovsky falls to us, and De la rose can be had with nashville's 2nd.

if we can sang poirier with our 3rd, and fucale with calgary's 2nd...go damn, what a draft.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And I sit back hoping Burakovsky falls to us, and De la rose can be had with nashville's 2nd.

if we can sang poirier with our 3rd, and fucale with calgary's 2nd...go damn, what a draft.

Poirier won't last till the 3rd round. I think he has a chance to go 25-30. More likely 31-45.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Poirier won't fall out of the 2nd round..

I'm hoping Rychel in the 1st, Burakowsky Nash 2nd, Poirier Cal 2nd.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I meant our 2nd, the 3rd 2nd in the draft, my mistake...but it seems poirier is a climber and might go much earlier, wow.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nope, he is 19, his 3rd and last year of eligibility. Maybe they'll take him late or just invite him as a FA.

When I say over-ager.. I meant that this isn't his first time being eligible for the draft.

I really don't like taking players like that. That's just me.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Any insight on Martin Reway from Gatineau? I've seen him play 4 or 5 times this year (plus a few times on TV at the WJC). To me, he's either looked terrific at times and then simply awful, repeating the same mistakes time after time. His ranking went up at the end of the year and he was a high import draft. He is very small however. From what I've been told, he's got a bit of an attitude and will probably return to Europe instead of the CHL next year. If he's still there in the 6th, might be worth a gamble?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Any insight on Martin Reway from Gatineau? I've seen him play 4 or 5 times this year (plus a few times on TV at the WJC). To me, he's either looked terrific at times and then simply awful, repeating the same mistakes time after time. His ranking went up at the end of the year and he was a high import draft. He is very small however. From what I've been told, he's got a bit of an attitude and will probably return to Europe instead of the CHL next year. If he's still there in the 6th, might be worth a gamble?

Might not be a bad late round gamble. Andrighetto also. Ross Johnston, though completely different style is intriguing. Project type player with toughness and hands.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=106154

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Andrighetto is a much better player than Reway is right now but he's also much older. I'd definitely would love Andrighetto with our 7th pick, maybe even 6th.

I'm almost certain a team with horrible scouts that could use pro-ready prospects will take Andrighetto in the 2nd/3rd/4th round. A team like Pittsburgh who have Crosby locked up and by proxy playoffs locked up for 10 years and can afford to continuously have awful drafts. Jordan Staal was the last NHLer they drafted by them that isn't a fringe guy. Although Despres and Bennett have a chance to be more than that.

Analyzer*

He can be signed to an AHL or ECHL contract if he doesn't get drafted, doesn't hurt to give him a look. They did the same with Freddy Roy (Patrick's son) last year, they brought him to the draft combine.

We invited him ? I thought Buffalo did and then signed him, or am I thinking of another Roy ?

I'm almost certain a team with horrible scouts that could use pro-ready prospects will take Andrighetto in the 2nd/3rd/4th round. A team like Pittsburgh who have Crosby locked up and by proxy playoffs locked up for 10 years and can afford to continuously have awful drafts. Jordan Staal was the last NHLer they drafted by them that isn't a fringe guy. Although Despres and Bennett have a chance to be more than that.

Joe Morrow (Although traded), Olli Maata, Scott Harrington and Derrick Pouliot look to be nhlers.

Oskar Sundqvist and Brian Dumolin (Although acquired) have a good chance to be NHLers.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Bennett is looking great just as Despres is. They got a young player in Sutter and a solid prospect in DuMoulin. Drafted Pouliot and have Maatta and Harrington who looks great. The GM is creative and flips these guys for solid forwards. Even this kid they picked up last year when they traded Michalek back to Phoenix I was reading up on him I think Ruopp or something like that seems like a possible steal. Anyways they can attract FA easily

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Absolutely he does, he's got the makings of a power forward. With large junior prospects though, they're often successful solely because of their size and strength, dominating the smaller opposition. This isn't the case with Gauthier. He's got an excellent wrist shot and really good playmaking skills that don't rely on him being big to be effective. His top-end speed isn't elite but he has very good agility. Skating can be improved, natural skill and frame can't.

If we want a power forward in this draft, there's going to be risk involved.

Gauthier- Arguably, limited upside ;)
Mantha- Doesn't play physically or use his body
DLR- Limited top-6 upside
Carrier- Work ethic/character/injury questions

Just about every other PWF-type has problems which predominantly come back to limited upside. We just have to determine who has the best chance and perhaps who has the best ceiling:floor ratio.
Apparently, De La Rose and Mantha also received a vote to be in the top 10 for TSNs ranking. What have we been missing? I'm still a big of fan of DLR but his upside seems limited by his skill and hockey sense.

The Hockey News Draft Preview has Gauthier 30th overall. Says he has no physical side to his game and so-so competitively. Compared him to a Hanzal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad