2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No one can be delusional as a Leaf fan!:laugh:

Habs have been needing a big center since forever...and one comes along out of QC with skill, smarts, vision, every skill required...they have been waiting as long for one of those as the Leafs have for a cup.

The real problem is that his name reminds everyone of the most unpopular Habs GM since...Grundman?

Actually we have two of them now, the search is over:laugh:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But to move in the top 20 to take him is dumb. There's much better than him in the top 20.(Albeit probably smaller and not french.)

I, also, wouldn't move up to get him simply because I think he'll be gone by the 15-18 slot. It would cost a pretty penny to move from 27-30 to 15-18.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Big center is the the hardest one ro get. Not that i'm a huge fan of Gauthier, but i'm a big fan of his attributes: big, defensivly reponsible, offensivly gifted and close to NHL lock. Pretty sure the Habs are looking at him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Big center is the the hardest one ro get. Not that i'm a huge fan of Gauthier, but i'm a big fan of his attributes: big, defensivly reponsible, offensivly gifted and close to NHL lock. Pretty sure the Habs are looking at him.
They would be dumb to not look at him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

He's worth following closely considering where the Habs will draft, but this draft could be semi-unpredictable after the top 10 or so, but I don't think chasing a "big center" is a priority anymore unless they are a clear upgrade on Eller or have a notable mean streak. Gauthier could still be BPA but it depends what they think his offensive upside is.

But I hope they don't obsess over size as more than just one factor.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's worth following closely considering where the Habs will draft, but this draft could be semi-unpredictable after the top 10 or so, but I don't think chasing a "big center" is a priority anymore unless they are a clear upgrade on Eller or have a notable mean streak. Gauthier could still be BPA but it depends what they think his offensive upside is.

More so, for soft-size.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I wouldn't touch Gauthier...at least not in first round. He's not as offensive as Couturier. Look how he is struggling to score in NHL. First round forwards Gauthier's height...6'5"+ have a history of under achieiving. Their game don't translate well to NHL game ie. Anthropov, Boyle, Joe Colbourne be few examples. A defenseman or Paul Gaustad type, giant height don't seem to affect as much.

Since the Kostitsyn draft what they do in U18 has little bearing. It will throw you off...because most of the talent is in junior playoffs. They are playing against mostly never-will-bes.

This. Totally agree. Boys who's having mens bodies, don't translate well in the big show.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well, we need four centers, not only one...

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Montreal have the luxe to take the BPA because we already have a cornerstone at every position. We have a #1 center (Galchenyuk), a #1 Defenseman (Subban) and a #1 goalie (Price), all under 26. Timmins doesn't have to find something in particular, except players that will reach the NHL and will fit under the team work ethic.

For me, our deepest NHL position is Center (Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanek, Desharnais). We need wingers and defensemen. The last strech of the season was the proof that we have a need for big stay-at-home d-man. Samuel Morin could be a good choice at 1st or early 2nd. Up front, we need a true enforcer, McCarron and Hill being good choice to fill that void. But we can go for smaller players like Domi and Petan (personnal favorite) because in 2-3 years, Gionta, Desharnais, Bouillon will be gone so we will not be a small team.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Montreal have the luxe to take the BPA because we already have a cornerstone at every position. We have a #1 center (Galchenyuk), a #1 Defenseman (Subban) and a #1 goalie (Price), all under 26. Timmins doesn't have to find something in particular, except players that will reach the NHL and will fit under the team work ethic.

For me, our deepest NHL position is Center (Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanek, Desharnais). We need wingers and defensemen. The last strech of the season was the proof that we have a need for big stay-at-home d-man. Samuel Morin could be a good choice at 1st or early 2nd. Up front, we need a true enforcer, McCarron and Hill being good choice to fill that void. But we can go for smaller players like Domi and Petan (personnal favorite) because in 2-3 years, Gionta, Desharnais, Bouillon will be gone so we will not be a small team.

well some might argue that you need an elite power forward to win the cup. We have Patches, but I think many here are hoping for something bigger & meaner!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He showed he can put up offense with the best of his age group at the U18, had his best games in the semi and finals.

And it's about the tenth time you say this... Gauthier as limited upside. He's a floater. Yes he can be good at times, but for the moment he's a floater, I'm not moving up in the draft for that kind of player.

If he had first line potential he'd go top 10, sadly he won't and he doesn't.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And it's about the tenth time you say this... Gauthier as limited upside. He's a floater. Yes he can be good at times, but for the moment he's a floater, I'm not moving up in the draft for that kind of player.

If he had first line potential he'd go top 10, sadly he won't and he doesn't.

My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.

He appears to be floating because he glides everywhere, then you realize he's adjusting his position to stay on the right side of the puck with minimal movement. His size and reach also allows him to not skate as hard as someone smaller needs to.

When he starts to get in on the forecheck more then watch out!

I took him in the mock so feel like I have to defend him:)

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario

For those who have seen him play many times, they know that Gauthier, for a 17 year old, is, as you say, very responsible defensively and is not a floater. It seems some have an anti-Quebec bias for this draft... the first in a long time when quality Q players abound.

Gauthier will likely go between 15-20. Mantha should go between 10-20. Morin? Button has him around #10 but I'm thinking late first.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
There were 8 players from the Q taken in the first round of the mock.

-Drouin
-Mackinnon
-Zykov
-Fucale
-Erne
-Mantha
-Gauthier
-Morin

Modern day record?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For those who have seen him play many times, they know that Gauthier, for a 17 year old, is, as you say, very responsible defensively and is not a floater. It seems some have an anti-Quebec bias for this draft... the first in a long time when quality Q players abound.

Gauthier will likely go between 15-20. Mantha should go between 10-20. Morin? Button has him around #10 but I'm thinking late first.

I think NHL teams will draft Gauthier(15-22) and Morin(21-30) higher and Mantha(22-30) lower than most fans think. Mantha is a solid prospect, but a bit one dimensional plus he is late birthday as he was only a few days from being 2012 eligible.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This. Totally agree. Boys who's having mens bodies, don't translate well in the big show.

I don't know if Id say that just because a guy is a big body at junior he wont translate well to the NHL. I think the issue is that you have to be careful that a big kid who is putting up points in junior isn't just doing so because he is a big kid. Great example is Shane Doan and Terry Ryan. Both of these guys were big, played physical and put up points in their draft year. Doan was taken 7th and Ryan 8th by us. Doan has had a great career as an NHL power forward and Ryan was a bust. Ryan couldn't skate, which didn't stop him from piling up points by using his size and strength in junior, but his lack of skating ability kept him from an NHL career. Doan had the skills, including skating ability, as well as size and grit .

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

That's not a floater. I'm referring to someone that just goes on the ice and glides and never touches the puck. That's a floater, and it was Gauthier more often than not.

He appears to be floating because he glides everywhere, then you realize he's adjusting his position to stay on the right side of the puck with minimal movement. His size and reach also allows him to not skate as hard as someone smaller needs to.

When he starts to get in on the forecheck more then watch out!

I took him in the mock so feel like I have to defend him:)
He appears to be floating because he can go 10 shifts in a row without touching the puck or keeping possession.

I've seen him play many times, thats why I don't particularly like him. Same with Mantha. It's not about my negative bias against player from QC, its about you positive bias for big players from QC. In this draft, Gauthier is a dime a dozen player, so is Mantha. There's no need to get crazy over him.

This feels like the Grigorenko fad all over again.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know if Id say that just because a guy is a big body at junior he wont translate well to the NHL. I think the issue is that you have to be careful that a big kid who is putting up points in junior isn't just doing so because he is a big kid. Great example is Shane Doan and Terry Ryan. Both of these guys were big, played physical and put up points in their draft year. Doan was taken 7th and Ryan 8th by us. Doan has had a great career as an NHL power forward and Ryan was a bust. Ryan couldn't skate, which didn't stop him from piling up points by using his size and strength in junior, but his lack of skating ability kept him from an NHL career. Doan had the skills, including skating ability, as well as size and grit .

The one kid I would be concerned about in terms of what you said about Ryan...Zykov. He is big and strong and drives the net and can finish...but with average speed and no longer being bigger(210-215lbs) than his opponent will his game translate to the NHL?

Gauthier relies on smarts, vision and hockey sense along with above average size...however his body is still a lot more raw at 6'5" 210lbs than Zykov at 6' 210-215lbs. Plus Gauthier has a nice skating stide which could translate to above average(Eller like) speed for a big man.

SgtPepper

Mar 28, 2013
We have a lot of players who are able to distribute the puck, but few able to score ala Ryder (aka pure goal scorer 30+). In the upcoming years, our finishers should be Gally and Patches, I would like more in the pipes.

Who, in your opinion, are the best pure scorers in this draft, and who could be avalaible in late 1st round and early 2nd ?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad