Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Good stuff ODC :handclap:

You couldn't be more right, there is no way we pick him. Yakimov on the other hand is a big body down the middle. They were not afraid to pull the trigger on Anisimov. Though Yak is no Arty, at least not at the same age. Arty was a 1st round talent, Yakimov is built like a first rounder but what about the rest?

If we did have a first this year, this is who we'd be taking, knowing who'd be making the pick: www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=82240&sort=midtermRank&year=2013

:)

yup. hes the perfect gordie draft pick. raw but huge boom potential. i concur.

and you know what, i wouldnt have a problem with this kid. hes a monster. talk about the prototypical power forward. still needs to keep developing his hands and shot. very good passer for a kid his size.

i remember him when he was with honeybaked. hard to miss that kinda length.

heres another kid that gordie would drool over. he may be an even better version of dylan Mcilrath LOL!!

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/6679

this kid is again quite raw but a perfect gordie kid who projects quite nicely to an nhl shutdown defender.

ignore the +/- as you know vancouver is horrendous this year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
yup. hes the perfect gordie draft pick. raw but huge boom potential. i concur.

and you know what, i wouldnt have a problem with this kid. hes a monster. talk about the prototypical power forward. still needs to keep developing his hands and shot. very good passer for a kid his size.

i remember him when he was with honeybaked. hard to miss that kinda length.

heres another kid that gordie would drool over. he may be an even better version of dylan Mcilrath LOL!!

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/6679

this kid is again quite raw but a perfect gordie kid who projects quite nicely to an nhl shutdown defender.

ignore the +/- as you know vancouver is horrendous this year.

I like skill quite a bit, but I do have to say I like the way Boston has built their team with the truculence they have all over that line-up. Would be good if the Rangers can continue the trend of adding a player who can play and throw down in each draft.

Disclaimer - I am not calling for a McNaught pick (who I actually liked at the time), but more a big, mean, raw kid.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jeremy Wick hits as hard as any kid that size I've seen, but doesn't have the offense for more than a 4th line role in the NHL. He could, however step in right away to the NYR lineup and provide speed on the wing, although he does need to work on hitting just the other team, not his own, the refs, or the opposing goalie, all of which have been known to happen.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Jeremy Wick hits as hard as any kid that size I've seen, but doesn't have the offense for more than a 4th line role in the NHL. He could, however step in right away to the NYR lineup and provide speed on the wing, although he does need to work on hitting just the other team, not his own, the refs, or the opposing goalie, all of which have been known to happen.

Not a big deal. I normally feel the same way about the refs as he does apparently. If they aren't wearing your color, go for it! :laugh:

Where is the draft this year? I wanted to go last year but I couldn't get myself to go.

Also for all of the griping people do (not really anyone in this thread) about the Rangers taking too many "grinders" or not skilled players, they certainly have tried in the past few years it seems.

2010:
McIlrath - Big, tough, skilled defensively
Thomas - Skilled
Yogan - Big and skilled
Wilson - tough guy
Fasth - Skilled
McNaught - tough guy

2011:
Miller - Big and skilled
Fogarty - Big and skilled
St Croix - Skilled
McColagn - Skilled
Noreau - Big and tough
Ceresnak - Bleh

2012:
Skjei - Big and Skilled
Nieves - Big and Skilled
Andersson - Skilled
Spelling - Skilled

I would say they have been leaning towards skilled players for a while now.

Last edited:

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
That's rough. His brother plays there. Any good?

John is pretty good, but to be honest no one's really looked spectacular this year. It's a trainwreck of a season. Seven losses in a row.

Actually, Brian Ferlin (BOS) has shown pro potential (I think), but even that's in spurts.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Top 15 CCHA/WCHA Free Agents

1. Dan DeKeyser, Junior, Defense, Western Michigan

DeKeyser was one of the top NHL free agents targets last summer, fielding offers from nearly every NHL team, but chose to return to Western Michigan for his junior season, and the extra year of development hasn't hurt his stock at all. DeKeyser doesn't bring a lot in the way of offensive upside, so his 2 goals and 10 assists through 27 games this season doesn't look impressive, but DeKeyser is a solid 6'3" 198 lbs. and an excellent skater that plays very solid shutdown defense. DeKeyser should have his choice of NHL teams again this summer, though the Detroit Red Wings seem to be the front-runner for his services.

2. Andrej Sustr, Junior, Defense, Nebraska-Omaha

Sustr is a player that stands out immediately when playing simply because he is 6'8". His enormous size has made him a bit of a late bloomer, but he's begun to show the skating ability necessary to play in the NHL. He's not a punishing, physical defender, but does possess pretty soft hands for a player of his size, and makes a nice first pass out of the zone. He's scored 20 points through 30 games this year, including eight points on the power play.

3. Nate Schmidt, Junior, Defense, Minnesota

Schmidt leads all NCAA defensemen in scoring with eight goals and 20 assists so far on the season. His best asset is his rocket shot from the point on the power play, and he's been an effective distributor of the puck, helping the Gophers to one of the nation's best power plays. But what gets lost with all those points is how much Schmidt has improved on the defensive end in the past year. If he can play passable defense and take advantage of his canon shot, he has the potential to be an effective NHL player.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog...-15-nhl-free-agent-prospects-in-the-ccha-wcha

Kellen Lain is also on the list. He was a teammates with Kyle Jean in college.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Top 15 CCHA/WCHA Free Agents

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog...-15-nhl-free-agent-prospects-in-the-ccha-wcha

Kellen Lain is also on the list. He was a teammates with Kyle Jean in college.

I would obviously love any of those guys.

Besides Straka and Bell who are some CHL free agents that may get contracts? I know the Rangers invited Dane Fox and he is supposed to be a pain in the ass to play against. Stats aren't overly impressive but they don't always tell the whole story.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sustr! Sustr! Sustr! :yo::nod::yo::nod:

I know this isn't the thread for this question but when is the trade deadline?

Yeah, a extremely tall european D that don't hit must play in NY once in his career. Malik, Popovic, Kjell Samuelsson and co; everyone before him has done it! ;)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Grant Sonier ranked his top 5 goalies in the draft

2) Marcus Hogberg, Linkoping (SWE)
Size has become a more and more attractive trait for the position (think Pekka Rinne) and at 6-4 Hogberg looks like another in a long list of elite Swedish netminders. He's seen only limited action this year, which is a bit of a concern, but the overall package offers something special.

In 13 games he's posted a 2.20 GAA and .916 save percentage. He moves very well for a big man and plays to his strengths -- good positioning and playing angles. It is very hard not to like the size.

"How do you not like the upside on this big kid?" said one Western Conference scout who just returned from Europe. "Every time I see him play I think he is an NHL goaltender."

Central Scouting ranks him No. 3 among European goalies.

5) Eamon McAdam, Waterloo (USHL)
McAdam shares the load with teammate Calvin Petersen -- whom Central Scouting ranked higher -- but I like McAdam. In 22 games this year he has a record of 14-5-1 with 3.29 GAA and .899 save percentage. Those are not numbers anyone is going to get excited about but this big kid has a lot of game. I watched him play some excellent hockey earlier in the season at the World Junior A Challenge, where he helped Team USA win gold. He needs time to work on controlling his body position, but I see lots of second effort and an excellent stick for playing the puck.

Central Scouting pegs him at No. 7 in North America.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog...8/2013-nhl-draft-top-5-draft-eligible-goalies

McAdam will be a freshman at Penn State in the fall.

The Rangers liked their US kids and Swedes. The Swede sounds like an intriguing player.

Tristan Jarry is #3. Philippe Desrosiers is #4. Fucale and Desrosiers play in the Q. Jarry is the WHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog...8/2013-nhl-draft-top-5-draft-eligible-goalies

The Rangers liked their US kids and Swedes. The Swede sounds like an intriguing player.

Tristan Jarry is #3. Philippe Desrosiers is #4. Fucale and Desrosiers play in the Q. Jarry is the WHL.

I hope they take McAdam for a selfish reason of I hope to see a few Penn State games next year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Like Hogberg could be a 3rd/4th availability. I'm not so thrilled with McAdam, I don't see him doing well in the NCAA, but who knows. Goalie of the draft is Eric Comrie IMO. Before his season ending hip injury he was carrying a huge weight load in Tri-City. In 37 GP has a 20-14-1 record with a 2.62 GAA, a .915 SV%, & 2 shutouts on a decent 12-13 Americans team. I feel that he will drop because of that injury, but is projected to go mid to late 2nd round. I'd like to snag him or Jarry who is on absolute fire right now.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
2013 is a pretty decent draft for tenders. Top ranked 13 or so on CSB midterm looks good. Most likely Fucale, Jarry, and possibly Hogberg go in the first 40 picks, maybe all in 1st round. Saros and Sionas look good and could be surprise picks.

I like Comrie, McAdam, and Cal Petersen as well.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't been following as closely this year as I do most seasons, but from what I've seen, BN and ODC are mostly spot on in their assessments. Couldn't agree more on guys like Slepyshev, Djuse and Arvidsson.

A guy I really like out of Russia, though I doubt he'll even get drafted, is Ruzal Galayev. He was a first round pick in the KHL draft. He's an all-around blueliner that moves the puck well and plays a strong positional game.

Yevgeni Zakurin is a tiny winger with a lot of skill.

Alex Mokshantsev is a strong puckhandling forward that likes to carry the puck and make plays. I like his balance.

On the Swedish side, I'm a fan of winger Markus Soberg. But I have a lot of trust in Frolunda's development system in general.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
SLU just knocked off the #1 team in the country on two more goals by Greg Carey.

If we let Toronto grab him, we'll regret it.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Projecting contracts next year

Existing NYR Contracts signed past 2013 season (31)

New ELCs (3)
St. Croix, M. (ELC S-signed already) $665,000 RFA 2016
Noreau, Samuel (ELC) $665,000 ?? RFA 2016
McColgan, Shane (ELC) $665,000 ?? RFA 2016

New 2nd contracts (3)
McDonagh, Ryan (ELC) $4,300,000 ?? RFA 2013
Stepan, Derek (ELC) $2,500,000 ?? RFA 2013
Hagelin, Carl (ELC) $2,000,000 ?? RFA 2013

Likely Qualified (5)
Niemi, Jyri (ELC) $660,000 RFA 2013
Parlett, Blake (ELC) $537,500 RFA 2013
Ferriero, Benn $735,000 RFA 2013
Palmieri, Nick $635,250 RFA 2013
Mashinter, Brandon $650,000 RFA 2013

?? Uncertain (4)
Delisle, Steven (ELC) $577,500 RFA 2013
Sauer, Michael (LTIR) $1,250,000 RFA 2013
Halpern, Jeff ?? UFA 2013
Gilroy, Matt ?? UFA 2013

Likely let go (6)
Pyett, Logan XX RFA 2013
Eminger, Steve XX UFA 2013
Collins, Sean XX UFA 2013
Segal, Brandon XX UFA 2013
Vernace, Mike XX UFA 2013
Čerešňák, Peter NOT SIGNED? ?

That would leave 8 spots open to reach the 50 contract limit next year
Plus 4 Question marks
Figure 2-3 veteran signings for CT & the Rangers combined
Leaves 5-6 other pickups that will be interesting to see (includes the ??s the too)
Lots of interesting possibilities here IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad