Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
and LONG gone by the time the Rangers pick... may as well bring up Jones and Mackinnon while you're at it.

Take it easy dude, last I checked this was a general 2013 Draft/Free Agent thread.

If you insist, I wonder if guys like Kerby Rychel and Ryan Hartman will make it to the Rangers' 2nd round pick.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
There are a couple of undrafted FA guys here on PEI playing with the PEI Rocket in the Q League , Josh Currie and Ben Duffy . Currie has been leading the league in scoring all season and Duffy was 2nd but has slipped a bit of late .

Also a local team , Summerside Capitals from the Tier 2 Canadian junior league are playing host to the Royal Bank Cup this Spring in Summerside PEI and they have a very strong team with some high quality players . Here is a link to the RBC website and then click on Alumni .

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/rbccup

I was surprised by the huge number that have made the NHL from this league . Minnesota also has a team in that league . It might be a good spot for the Rangers to find a diamond in the rough . Players like Willie Mitchell , Joe Murphy , James Patrick , Randy Moller , Sutters , Scott Upshall and a boatload of others have played in this tournament along with Gomez .:laugh:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Eric Hartzell

Goalie for #2-ranked Quinnipiac.

He's a bit older (will be 24 this May), but his numbers are stellar.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93953

The Rangers (among others) know about him:

Scouts and high-ranking personnel are at every game. Just before New Year’s, close to 40 NHL representatives were in Hamden for a weekend series with Nebraska-Omaha. Among the heavy hitters was Mark Messier, special assistant to New York Rangers president Glen Sather, who sat a few feet away from Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren

http://www.ctpostchronicle.com/articles/2013/02/01/sports/doc50f826d79816f227746279.txt?viewmode=3

Funny, might be the first report I have seen of Messier doing anything related to the Rangers other than the Garden of Dreams. Seems like there is just nothing in the news that ever really links him in his role to the Rangers, or what he does for them.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Connor Hurley, F, MinnHS Edina - Skilled Center with speed, stickhandling, smarts and plays in rough places. Reminds me of TJ Oshie at that age. Heading to Notre Dame after HS.

Yes please. Best player to come out of MN since Bjugstad, IMO. I honestly doubt he would be available at our second, I could see some team "reaching for him" in the mid-1st.

Pat Mullane, please.

Again, yes please. Worth a shot for sure.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Whats the probability of the Rangers trading for a 1st? Slim to none?

woudlnt be opposed to it, but who is there to trade? unless sather does something like next years first, a second or third and a mid level prospect like thomas, but i dont really see the imminent nead for a first rounder imo, i think itd be more likely sather trys to get another second to make up for the lack of immediate quality in a first rounder with quantity in the later rounds.

would really like to pick up a goalie in the 3rd, couldn't hurt to plan ahead.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Petr Straka - UFA
Andrej Sustr - UFA
Joel Vermin - UFA Switzerland

Really like and have heard good things from insiders about Jacob de la Rose but doubt we will pick high enough
Myles Bell - draft eligible - for one of our 3rd rounders maybe?

The Columbus 3rd rounder is moot btw !!!

Are a few initial interesting names

Would love to get William Nylander in 2014 draft - but he will go Top 3 I think.
Presently he is injured and playing on the same team as his father on the Södertälje Sportklubb in Swedish allsvenskan league

Definately interested in Bell at the draft. Very intriguing prospect. Wonder what the Rangers think about him?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If you insist, I wonder if guys like Kerby Rychel and Ryan Hartman will make it to the Rangers' 2nd round pick.

I'd say no since both stocks are rising as the season goes on. Still 5 months away, but i'd say they both go first round.

Yes please. Best player to come out of MN since Bjugstad, IMO. I honestly doubt he would be available at our second, I could see some team "reaching for him" in the mid-1st.

Yeah I really like what I see from that kid and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I can see him going in the late teens to late 20's and make the first round.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Eh, sorry if I came across backhanded... just sayin'

No worries, it's all good. I just hope most of the top 10 picks go out West so the Rangers won't have to see them 4-6 times a season. Pretty much every pick in the top 8 or so is looking to be an almost surefire future top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.

SupersonicMonkey*

Just a small list of players, with upside, that I hope the Rangers can get their hands on:

Will Butcher USHL (USNTDP)
Lots of skill. High upside as an offensive defenseman.

Pat Mullane NCAA (Boston College)
One of BC's top players now after paying his dues.

Derek Army NCAA (Providence College)
Not big, but plays big. Has high skill level. Great motor. High character. Leader on an underdog Providence team, that had higher hopes this year.

Myles Bell WHL (Kelowna Rockets)
Overager. But versatile. Lots of offensive talent. Could be a defenseman, where I'd prefer him, to be honest.

Rangers currently have three guaranteed 3rd round picks. A fourth 3rd rounder if we fail to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals (let's hope we make it to the Stanley Cup Finals).

Most of these guys are UDFAs anyway.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Fitzy, is Greg Carey gonna get an NHL deal? Do you think he has an NHL future?

Looks like he's on a real tear this year.

When Greg Carey arrived as a freshman, he had just come off breaking the single season OJHL (junior level below OHL) goal scoring record as a 19 year old.

However he was slow, overweight, cherry picking, and not a very smart hockey player. He would drift around the neutral zone, looked lost when the team tried to put him on the point for the power play, ect. He started on the 4th line.

But his shot alone, and his uncanny ability to get in good positions to score got him a ton of goals his rookie year, and Joe Marsh (somewhat reluctantly, considering the incomplete nature of his game) moved him to the top line.

After his rookie year I started hearing rumors about him potentially getting an NHL contract if he had a strong Sophomore year, however his production decreased. A lot of that had to do with his improvement as a two way player, he started playing defense, winning pucks along the boards and doing more of the dirty work. He skated harder, looked fitter on the ice, ect.

This year he is scoring at a rate more consistent with his rookie year, and is playing a more complete game. Whether he is NHL ready is question mark, but his shot will be one of the top ten in the league if he does make it. The trick will be getting him in a position to use it, right now teams tend to focus on him, and he and Flanagan generate much if not most of their offense on the power play (Part of that is the system that SLU employ, though.)

So with Greg, he is strong and has a shot, the question will be is his skating and hockey sense at an NHL level? If you gave him Flanagan's brain, or gave Flanagan Carey's build, they'd have both been first rounders.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Petr Straka is an AMAZING puckhandler. I still think he's worth taking a chance on, though I know it didn't work out the last time around with him. He's just so talented. A lot of people were writing Mikkel Boedker off, too, but he's finally starting to put it together as of last year's playoffs and the first couple of weeks of this season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Petr Straka is an AMAZING puckhandler. I still think he's worth taking a chance on, though I know it didn't work out the last time around with him. He's just so talented. A lot of people were writing Mikkel Boedker off, too, but he's finally starting to put it together as of last year's playoffs and the first couple of weeks of this season.

I would definitely take a flier on him. I just wonder if he will look for a team that is more skill oriented like Detroit.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would definitely take a flier on him. I just wonder if he will look for a team that is more skill oriented like Detroit.

I would too. I'm all for building a team identity through youth, but there is such a thing as pushing that identity too far in one direction. Need to have skill guys as well as character kids. Sometimes you need some caviar to go with your blue collar. Straka is a guy I'd roll the dice on. Same with Bell.

I don't see Detroit as a hot destination for unsigned kids. You see a lot of older "rookies" coming from over the pond, but they very rarely give kids a shot at a young age. Not all that appealing for a 20 year old trying to fast-track his path to the pros.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would too. I'm all for building a team identity through youth, but there is such a thing as pushing that identity too far in one direction. Need to have skill guys as well as character kids. Sometimes you need some caviar to go with your blue collar. Straka is a guy I'd roll the dice on. Same with Bell.

I don't see Detroit as a hot destination for unsigned kids. You see a lot of older "rookies" coming from over the pond, but they very rarely give kids a shot at a young age. Not all that appealing for a 20 year old trying to fast-track his path to the pros.

Oh I agree. I hope you didn't take what I said as I wasn't interested in skilled players, just that he may see how skilled players sometimes get overlooked in NYC. MZA, Parenteau, etc.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Right now we have 47 players signed to NYR contracts.

Miller will count against the 50 number next year
As will MSC
Most likely Noreau and McColgan will also get contracts
A big ?? is Ceresnak IMO
College kids (Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty) will most likely stay in school another year, at least
Do not see us signing the Euros in the org either (Fast & Lindberg are already signed and will be here for camp)

That makes it 51(52?) players contracted.

But there will be a lot of players that are also probably goners
A bit early to speculate - but maybe something like:

UFAs (likely gone)
Eminger, Halpern?, Gilroy ??, Collins, Segal, Vernace ?

RFAs (will likely resign)
McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Ferriero, Talbot, Mashinter, Parlett,

RFAs (likely gone)
Sauer :( , Delisle, Niemi, Pyett

Meaning somewhere between 6-10 roster spots left to fill...after signing our prospects that already are in the org
Will probably not be signing any new draft picks either, meaning a couple or more chances to take some flyers IMO

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
A view from Brian Costello from the Hockey News. A lot can happen between now and June. Or perhaps scouts trying to downgrade some players hoping a player their team wants falls to them?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49838-2013-NHL-draft-lacks-depth-of-talent.html

I don't agree, they downplay players and drafts every year.

Last years draft is looking pretty good, lots of players picked from round 1 to 7 getting talked about this season. Yeah it's too early to really say, but is it worse than projecting a whole draft class 5 years too soon?

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

The Rangers definitely need young high end skill guys; since drafting Alexei Kovalev in the first round in 1991, they have selected Pavel Brendl (bust, for them); Christian Dube (their first pick in 1995) didn't pan out; Marc Savard also in 1995 (most of his NHL production was with other teams)Stefan Cherneski (1997, got hurt, never played in NHL), and Alexei Cherepanov (2007; tragically passed away during a game in Russia).

It's hard to draft the high end skill players drafting where they have picked, the ones they have selected they've either been unlucky, were traded or the player didn't perform how they hoped. It's hard to draft a Malkin, a Crosby, etc. in the 5th round in the NHL Entry Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark