Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Apparently they had Vasilevski really high. Mentioned that they were still surprised he was on the board at 15 and tried to move up before Tampa grabbed him at 19.

He was the guy I wanted last year. Would be nice to have a blue-chip goalie prospect in the org instead of Skjei, who is pretty redundant.

As far as this year goes, we need an OFD. I think we need one more than a forward. We have great RW organizational depth (Nash, Callahan, Fast, Zuccarello, Miller, Thomas, Dorsett in no particular order). We have fairly mediocre LW depth (Kreider, Hagelin, and Miller/Fast can play LW). We have good C depth (Stepan, Brassard, Lindberg, Boyle, Nieves, and the off-chance Richards rebounds).

We do have good LD depth (McDonagh, Staal, DZ, Moore, Skjei), and decent RD depth (Girardi, Stralman, McIlrath, Noreau), but the problem is our d-men are redundant. As Clarke said, no OFD in our system.

We need to go BPA, but if I had to rank needs, I'd go:

1. OFD (RD preferably)
2. LW
3. legitimate goalie prospect

Vasilevski was my choice for our pick last year, knew he was gonna go higher than where we were at. And I agree on the Skjei pick.

Clark sounded surprised we did not bring along an offensive Dman. I kinda feel they put all their eggs in their basket with Del Z.

As for the 2013 draft, 3rd round should have some good offensive Dmen prospects, I'm posting my draft preview sometime today.

SupersonicMonkey*

Like the idea drafting Morrissey. Don't see EDM biting on the trade though. As for the CGY one, perhaps Feaster trades us one of his 1st rounders for a 3rd rounder :laugh:.

Yeah i'm pretty high on Morrissey. He's my favorite player in the first round (after the obvious top group).

I like his attitude, i like his skill set. He would be a great addition to the Rangers organization.

If we can't get him, i would go the poor-man's route, trade up to the second round and take Brett Pesce. And with a later pick take Will Butcher.

Punxrocknyc19*

Kreider
Hagelin
Miller can play all three forward positions
Zuccarello can play both wings
Pyatt
Boyle

There are enough guys who can play the left wing.

We have zero legitimate offensive defensemen in the organization. Del Zotto lacks the footspeed and brains. Been saying it forever. Glad to see Clark agree.

Personally, i wouldnt try to get that player in the third round. Id try to get him in the late first or early second.

Move Del Zotto to free up some cap space for our RFAs, get a young forward and a pick in return. That could address your concerns about the wing depth.

Del Zotto + Thomas/St. Croix + #65
Paajarvi + Petry + #37

Move #37 + Boyle to move up to the #16-#22 range. Joshua Morrissey.

Maybe Calgary bites. #22.

See if Lindberg can take that #4 Center role.

Richards should have been bought out so we could have more cap flexability to increase our number of options.

their is no first line LW on this team. maybe Kreider in a few years will be that, but right now he is a 2ed or 3rd liner..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Steve Santini. US National Development Program. American boy. BC bound in the fall. Mahopac,NY. Grew up a NYR fan.

Clark likes him

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-6&id=261119&cmpid=embed-share-video

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/3627/the-santini-hockey-family-of-new-york#.Uc9ZZBbvy8o

Santini, a 6-foot-1, 208-pounder from Mahopac, N.Y., has always been a defensive stalwart. He thrives on his ability to shut down the opponents’ top line, including at the World U18 Championship, where Santini and his teammates held opponents to just 22.7 shots per game.

“I play a responsible game and try to limit my mistakes,†he said. “I always work hard and do whatever it takes to help my team win. I may not be putting up points or scoring goals, but I always play against other team’s top lines. You have to work hard and compete against them. I have to be tough and stick up for myself and my teammates
.â€

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/show/253307?referrer_id=665878

McKenzie has Santini rated #42

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9424

Grant Sonier of ESPN doesn't have Santini in his top 50 or on the list of players who missed the top 50 cut

He has Brett Pesce #47. Tarrytown,NY. Pesce is a late 94. Another NYR fan.

Pesce was used in a limited role as a true rookie in college hockey. The advantage of watching players the year before their draft eligibility is you see them within their own age group and he was a star. I truly feel with his size and skating there is much potential for him to develop into a solid prospect. He has offensive upside, even though on any given night at UNH you might not spot it. He is a situational pick where history plays a major factor.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...ackinnon-tops-final-rankings-top-50-prospects

McKenzie has Pesce at #64. THN has Pesce at #52.

Santini and Pesce are both right-handed shots

Trade up with #65 and #75 to the middle of the 2nd round to land one of the D. Clark talked about needing to add more depth on D in the organization.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
I've seen Santini play and I'm pretty sure somebody on this board is related to him. He's a really solid prospect. He's been committed to BC since he was 14 I think.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I know Santini personally. Great guy.

That being said, have no interest in him on our team. Is pretty redundant. Much like Skjei. Good skater, very sound defensive d-man, with little to no offense. Great player, not a good fit for us with our current d-men and prospects.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I live a town over from Mahopac. Saw Santini frequently at high school hockey games. Always looked miles ahead of most of the players on the ice. Haven't seen him in a while due to graduating so I can't really say how he looks these days

SupersonicMonkey*

I've been mentioning Pesce for a while now. I'd love it if they traded up to the second round and took Pesce.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I've seen Santini play and I'm pretty sure somebody on this board is related to him. He's a really solid prospect. He's been committed to BC since he was 14 I think.
Yep he'll be going to BC in the fall.
Nothing good happens when the Rangers draft Ranger fans.
Umm...... Callahan?
I know Santini personally. Great guy.

That being said, have no interest in him on our team. Is pretty redundant. Much like Skjei. Good skater, very sound defensive d-man, with little to no offense. Great player, not a good fit for us with our current d-men and prospects.

I live a town over from Mahopac. Saw Santini frequently at high school hockey games. Always looked miles ahead of most of the players on the ice. Haven't seen him in a while due to graduating so I can't really say how he looks these days
Matt4776 & JohnC...
I've played against Steve and let me tell you this. He is a strong mother******!!!! He is really hard to go one-on-one with let alone being a really good defensive d-man. Really hard. With that said, Matt you basically put it the best. Even though he is a good guy to be around, I wouldn't want him on the team knowing that we have Skjei. But if we didn't have Skjei, I'd be more than happy with Steve with NYR.

Also with all this Steve talk, I'd like to be the one and put out a big Congratulations to Steve and his family. I sure god hope he makes it in the first round and has a great future with whoever picks him up. He deserves it.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Being that a lot of you are better at keeping up with up and coming prospects and kids than I could hope to be, I'm gonna be lazy and ask you to keep and eye on one Joe Wegwerth for me. Gonna be a senior in high school, played for my high school team, always one of the better players I had the pleasure of watching. Committed to Notre Dame I believe.

Also, JB, mind saying where you played against Santini? High school team?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
2013 Draft is here !!!

<tumbleweed>

No first rounder. Always sucks not to have one unless you've just won the Cup. I didn't care who we picked at the '94 draft, took months to come down from that and didn't think of those draft picks until 1995 draft - where we had no first ! (JS Giguere #13 overall).

Of course this first round will be legendary, thats a gimme right? Ten years after 2003 we're back where we started, no first :D

I figured I'd just mention the players I like at 65, 75, 80, 110, 170.

3rd/4th/5th/6th Round Candidates and beyond:

Zach Sanford LW
Viktor Arvidsson LW
Domikik Kubalik LW
Niklas Hansson D
Connor Rankin LW
Cal Petersen G
Nick Moutrey LW
Pavel Laplante C
Nick Baptiste LW
Marc Olivier Roy C
Ryan Kujawinski C
Teemu Kivihalme D
Anthony Florentino D
Anton Cedarholm D
Anton Slepyshev LW
Jackson Houck RW
Avery Peterson C
JC Lipon C
Zach Hall C
Willie Raskob D
Quin Pompi D
Henri Ikonen LW
Martin Reway LW
Peter Trainor LW
Tyrell Goulbourne LW
Tyler Ganly D
Greg Betzgold LW
Mac Weegar D
Jason Salvaggio C
Evan Allen C
David Pope LW
Brian Pinho C
Dane Birks D
Alex Kile LW
Eddie Ellis LW

timor

Oct 8, 2011
Partly because of my nationality I'd love to see the Rangers pick the Finnish goalie Juuse Saros, who's ranked # 1 among European goalies. He might be a second rounder if it wasn't for his rather small size of 5'10" which will drop him to the third. Highly praised up and coming Finnish goalie who's name has been brought up here also a couple of times. He's been doing great in his Finnish junior team HPK taking them from a middle of the pack team to being third in the league in 2011-2012 and then being the champions this spring. He was also awarded as the best goalie of the U18 WC tournament this spring when the Finnish national team reached the bronze medal. Next season I think we can see him getting his shot in the Finnish Elite League.

Here's a short video from his combine:
Combine 2013: Juuse Saros

And an analyzis with his stats:
Juuse Saros: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #70

Someone has also uploaded full games from the U18 WC to youtube, so you can search for Juuse Saros and take a look of his playing style there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad