Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the words out on this big boy but anthony mantha from Val d’Or in the Q is just a manchild and a flat out scary player. he could be on his way to the top 30.

huge, fast with a filthy shot. hes 6'3 but has an absolutely beautiful NHL stride. he hits full speed quickly and can unleash a deadly wrist shot. scores in bunches. a true sniper with a really wicked lazer shot.

hes not without his detractors. some say unmotivated and others inconsistent. i say keep criticizing him enough so he drops into our lap.

a kid i really really love.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Right now we have 47 players signed to NYR contracts.

Miller will count against the 50 number next year
As will MSC
Most likely Noreau and McColgan will also get contracts
A big ?? is Ceresnak IMO
College kids (Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty) will most likely stay in school another year, at least
Do not see us signing the Euros in the org either (Fast & Lindberg are already signed and will be here for camp)

That makes it 51(52?) players contracted.

But there will be a lot of players that are also probably goners
A bit early to speculate - but maybe something like:

UFAs (likely gone)
Eminger, Halpern?, Gilroy ??, Collins, Segal, Vernace ?

RFAs (will likely resign)
McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Ferriero, Talbot, Mashinter, Parlett,

RFAs (likely gone)
Sauer :( , Delisle, Niemi, Pyett

Meaning somewhere between 6-10 roster spots left to fill...after signing our prospects that already are in the org
Will probably not be signing any new draft picks either, meaning a couple or more chances to take some flyers IMO

So the summer of the season will start off with 31 contracts. Eminger, McD, Step, Hags, Ferry, Talbot, MASH, and Gilroy will resign. Halpern might. They better get rid of Collins, Segal, Parlett, Vernace, Delilse, and Pyett. Sauer (hopefully!!!) will be resigned as well and I think that Niemi will get another shot, too. So assuming that happens (and Halpern walks), that gives us 41 contracts. They'll probably sign Noreau and McColgan on ELC and let Ceresnak go. The NCAA players will stick with their schools. So that now leaves us with 43 contracts. Seven available to use.

We have 1 2nd, 3 3rds, 1 4th, 1 6th. With these we have to get a goalie!! Probably with one of the 3rds or maybe even the 4th. Goalies I'd like to get are Grosenick (NCAA), Jarry (WHL), Patterson (OHL), Laurikainen (WHL), Bartosak (WHL), and Hartzell (NCAA). Comrie (WHL) may fall back because of a season ending injury, but would be a great pick up. With the 2nd I have a huge feeling that NYR will grab 6'7"/200lbs defenseman Sam Morin. That would be a nice pick, but others around the Rangers 2nd could be Wilhelm Westlund (6'0"/184lbs-D), Jacob de la Rose (6'2"/189lbs-LW), or Ian McCoshen (6'2"/207lbs-D). They should definitely use a pick on Myles Bell.

Undrafted FA's are everywhere. With one or two of the seven contracts we have, we could use it on players like Bell, Straka, and/or Sustr. Others I have noticed are Charlie Sarault (OHL), Ben Duffy (the Q), Josh Currie (the Q), Sven Andrighetto (the Q), JS Dea (the Q), JC Lipon (WHL), Curtis Valk (WHL), Justin Feser (WHL), Alex Gogolev (WHL), Elgin Pearce (WHL), Alessio Bertaggia (WHL), Adam Lowry (WHL), and Zach Franko (WHL). Also loving Lethbridge Hurricanes forward Jaimen Yakubowski. Don't really know any Euros other than Joel Vermin, Albert Yarullin, and Miro Aaltonen. Joel apparently getting a ton of interest by NYR. Yarullin looked very good during the WJC and so was Aaltonen until he got knocked out of the tourney.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
If he's left in the 3rd round I'd like the Rangers to look into drafting Marko Dano (currently with Slovan Bratislava). Plays really solid in the KHL at age 18, shows some skill and is very gritty and tough despite not being big. Good along the boards. Good strength despite looking really thin and small. Good skater as well, can be kind of a In Your Face type of player if he's on. Think a more skilled version of Sean Avery minus the whole drama.

The risk with him is, you can't be sure if he's coming to NA, but if he's available late in the 3rd round, I'd be willing to gamble one of our picks.

I don't see it happening though bc the NYR organization drafted NA- & SWE-heavy recently (and successfully so).

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
the words out on this big boy but anthony mantha from Val d’Or in the Q is just a manchild and a flat out scary player. he could be on his way to the top 30.

huge, fast with a filthy shot. hes 6'3 but has an absolutely beautiful NHL stride. he hits full speed quickly and can unleash a deadly wrist shot. scores in bunches. a true sniper with a really wicked lazer shot.

hes not without his detractors. some say unmotivated and others inconsistent. i say keep criticizing him enough so he drops into our lap.

a kid i really really love.

Plenty of people know him and like him. I could see some teams stay away but he's got legit skills and pro size, I don't see him too far outside the first round if he slips.

Did you read this new article just posted this week?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=4kCd-izEuXpfQnel6au_xg&bvm=bv.42080656,d.cWE

If he's left in the 3rd round I'd like the Rangers to look into drafting Marko Dano (currently with Slovan Bratislava). Plays really solid in the KHL at age 18, shows some skill and is very gritty and tough despite not being big. Good along the boards. Good strength despite looking really thin and small. Good skater as well, can be kind of a In Your Face type of player if he's on. Think a more skilled version of Sean Avery minus the whole drama.

The risk with him is, you can't be sure if he's coming to NA, but if he's available late in the 3rd round, I'd be willing to gamble one of our picks.

I don't see it happening though bc the NYR organization drafted NA- & SWE-heavy recently (and successfully so).

Good call, Dano is the kind of pick I can see us taking with one of three 3rd rounders.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He was getting props on the Hockey Prospects show on XM Sirius this past weekend.

hes had a good run recently.

his game has holes. some detractors say hes invisible when hes not scoring. hes also an older kid relatively speaking. hes an offensive player first. his 2 way play isnt developed.

ive seen enough of him to know hes got a pro body, high end skating and a filthy shot. hes gonna be a load to handle down low with his size but his skating is whats really special. hes got serious wheels for a kid that tall.

i hope like heck hes there at the end of round 1 or early 2 cause hes a kid you make a play for. warts and all.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He was getting props on the Hockey Prospects show on XM Sirius this past weekend.

He's really a phenomenal skater for someone his size. Incredibly agile and light on his feet. Really looks like a man amongst boys in the Q. Good head on his shoulders which is always a positive with a kid that talented.

Brett Ritchie showed similar flashes in his draft year, but it took him longer to put it all together. Mantha has the same kind of skillset.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The knock on Mantha on the show was his compete level. When I hear that kind of criticism, I have my doubts as to such a player being a target of Clark and Gorton.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah I'd be really surprised to see Mantha slip out of the first round.
Agreed

I think the Rangers would pass on him. Good player, but has all those "if" factors like being small and not coming to NA. I'd rather use our 3rds for something else.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Could the Rangers look at Schmidt? Built-up chemistry already with Skjei, seems like a leader and has good offensive stats. ANyone have a scouting report on him?

Nate Schmidt 6'1 200 D St Cloud(HS) - Scoring Dman, has good hockey sense, great acceleration on the rush and has good hands. Highly sought after HS player will attend U of Minnesota.

That was from my 2009 draft writeup.

He was one of my faves in later rounds. I watched whole games on video, he always stood out and he skated very well. He rushes the puck like a forward, but has really come on with good defensive play the last few seasons. Throw in the fact he's a Captain of a top College program, plays bigger than his size, and has been a clutch player.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Nate Schmidt 6'1 200 D St Cloud(HS) - Scoring Dman, has good hockey sense, great acceleration on the rush and has good hands. Highly sought after HS player will attend U of Minnesota.

That was from my 2009 draft writeup.

He was one of my faves in later rounds. I watched whole games on video, he always stood out and he skated very well. He rushes the puck like a forward, but has really come on with good defensive play the last few seasons. Throw in the fact he's a Captain of a top College program, plays bigger than his size, and has been a clutch player.

I could see us taking a flyer on Schmidt especially hearing that he is making a lot of good chemistry with Skjei.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Carey with a goal and two assists tonight to put him at 19-21-40 in 27 games.

Kershaw

I wish the Rangers drafted someone like Spencer Martin so I can personally keep tabs on him. We have no OHL prospects that I can follow lol. :(

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I wish the Rangers drafted someone like Spencer Martin so I can personally keep tabs on him. We have no OHL prospects that I can follow lol. :(

He's a top goalie prospect right now. I doubt he will be taken with our 2nd & doubt he will be around when the 3rd round comes. Love to have him though.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Oh okay, seems pretty blunt. Reason why?

A bit small for NHL
Also heard there is a head problem there causing inconsistency
I asked someone in Sveedin that knows about him

He also said that if you want a similar sized goalie that´s developing good you should look at a late bloomer in Sebastian Idoff instead
22 yo though. But goalies develop late in Sweden (look at Fasth now in Anaheim)
Off the wall stuff though
For a 7th or so... A real sleeper pick.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
A bit small for NHL
Also heard there is a head problem there causing inconsistency
I asked someone in Sveedin that knows about him

He also said that if you want a similar sized goalie that´s developing good you should look at a late bloomer in Sebastian Idoff instead
22 yo though. But goalies develop late in Sweden (look at Fasth now in Anaheim)
Off the wall stuff though
For a 7th or so... A real sleeper pick.

hmm, we do have a bit of history with 7th rnd Swedish goalies......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad