2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think they will sign him that long personally, I think 5 will continue to be the limit of length Toronto hands out. Burke did it, Nonis did it recently with Lupul. Seems to me that it will continue that way, but we will have to wait and see.

If DN does not lock up his key players using the 8 year max and scale down the cap hit, then he should join BB on another team.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Wish the Aulie/Ashton deal never happened. Aulie is the defenseman we are lacking now and I bet he would be thriving in the Carlyle system. I think Ashton will be passed quickly on the depth chart when Biggs turns pro.

...You mean Aulie, who's averaging 12:50 of ice time per game, including 00:00 PP TOI/G and only 0:49 SH TOI/G?

He's being used less than Brian Lee, on a team that's fairly thin on the blueline, and who's main weakness is defensive play... and he's averaging 12:50 TOI/G and has had a cup of coffee on the PK... and you wish we had him?

Ashton isn't in the NHL, but he looks like he can be a pretty solid two-way 3rd liner. It's been three years since Aulie has shown any ability to play in the NHL at a decent level.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
...You mean Aulie, who's averaging 12:50 of ice time per game, including 00:00 PP TOI/G and only 0:49 SH TOI/G?

He's being used less than Brian Lee, on a team that's fairly thin on the blueline, and who's main weakness is defensive play... and he's averaging 12:50 TOI/G and has had a cup of coffee on the PK... and you wish we had him?

Ashton isn't in the NHL, but he looks like he can be a pretty solid two-way 3rd liner. It's been three years since Aulie has shown any ability to play in the NHL at a decent level.

Not to mention he is a LHS and plays LD... We are stacked at that position and wouldn't of had room for him anyways...

The trade makes sense!

Ashton has been a good grinder on the Marlies and even chips in offensively. He is a prototypical BIG 3rd line winger that will help ANY playoff team in the playoffs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Wish the Aulie/Ashton deal never happened. Aulie is the defenseman we are lacking now and I bet he would be thriving in the Carlyle system. I think Ashton will be passed quickly on the depth chart when Biggs turns pro.

Aulie has 1g 2a and is 6th in ice time for the bolts. Hes 7th in average ice time. He has a worse stats line then Holzer

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Just wondering speculatively-with SJ doing as poor as they are this year, what realistically would it take to get Joe Thorton out? Probably too much I guess...a demand for Toronto's first plus plus would be the order of the day?

Just thinking with Kadri coming up well, be a great 1A/1B situation with good vet leadership for Kadri. Again though, too much, probably Reilly/Gardiner/1st combination....

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Just wondering speculatively-with SJ doing as poor as they are this year, what realistically would it take to get Joe Thorton out? Probably too much I guess...a demand for Toronto's first plus plus would be the order of the day?

Just thinking with Kadri coming up well, be a great 1A/1B situation with good vet leadership for Kadri. Again though, too much, probably Reilly/Gardiner/1st combination....

Too much.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Aulie has 1g 2a and is 6th in ice time for the bolts. Hes 7th in average ice time. He has a worse stats line then Holzer

Stop stat watching. If anything, go ask the Bolts what they think of him. Last time I checked, they loved him on their 3rd pairing.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto

He said he thought Aulie could thrive in RC's defensive minded system which i agree with. Not a run and gun system...

I don't think Ashton will turn into much of anything.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Of course he's only getting 13 minutes of ice time, he's still young and developing. Putting him on the top line in Tampa would be like throwing him to the wolves. In time I think he'll be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON

:handclap:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

What does him offensive production have to do with anything? He's a physical stay-at-home defenseman, something the Leafs are lacking right now.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Of course he's only getting 13 minutes of ice time, he's still young and developing. Putting him on the top line in Tampa would be like throwing him to the wolves. In time I think he'll be a solid 2nd pairing defenseman.

Meh, it''s his 4th year of professional hockey, 3rd in the NHL. Same draft year as McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Subban, Smith, Gunnarson, Cole, Blum, Weber (Montreal), etc.

Yannick Weber is the only one playing a similar role to Aulie at the moment, and I wouldn't be rushing to trade Ashton for him.

Now that's not to say I think Ashton has a particularly high ceiling. I think he should just become a solid two-way 3rd liner with size who can add some secondary scoring, which is what it is. I just don't see the point in getting all concerned about what Aulie is doing, because he hasn't shown the ability to be and isn't projected to be anything special at the NHL level.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
What does him offensive production have to do with anything? He's a physical stay-at-home defenseman, something the Leafs are lacking right now.

Physical stay at home defencemen play on the PK. That's literally where their skills are the most valuable. Aulie does not play on Tampa's PK on a consistent basis at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any interest from the fans in Brian Boyle? Seems to covet the "big body" top 9 center we have been rumored to be looking for.

Obviously not a top 6 guy, which would be ideal but I think he could fit the mold of what Carlyle wants in his prototypical third/fourth line center. He has had a bad year so far and many times in Torts dog house but he had a great year last year so perhaps a change of scenery could be in order.

Maybe a prospect like Carrick or Crescenzi and a mid-round draft pick for him?

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Any interest from the fans in Brian Boyle? Seems to covet the "big body" top 9 center we have been rumored to be looking for.

Obviously not a top 6 guy, which would be ideal but I think he could fit the mold of what Carlyle wants in his prototypical third/fourth line center. He has had a bad year so far and many times in Torts dog house but he had a great year last year so perhaps a change of scenery could be in order.

Not really, we need a big body guy to take over Bozak or Grabovski's role and I doubt Boyle is that guy.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not really, we need a big body guy to take over Bozak or Grabovski's role and I doubt Boyle is that guy.

Not entirely BB, Mclem can fill Grabo s spot. A big 4th line C that brings a bit more speed and physical play then Steckle did , would be ok.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

As I said, obviously finding someone that can be an upgrade over Bozak or even Grabovski with size would be the ideal situation... but not many teams are likely to just give them away, let alone trade them for a fair package. A lot of teams will be looking at an overpayment as they are not common.

So instead of looking at depleting our roster depth and prospects depth, why not go after someone that would perhaps fit the role better as a "shut down" center, one that's big and can grind well.

His value is low, thus the value may be worth it.

Makes a lot more sense than the usual third line winger proposals.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Would love him but I think it'd cost a better prospect than either of those two- but not one of our top guys. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him with McClement who has played wing this year, so they could rotate taking draws. I love Komarov and don't like seeing him on the 4th unit.

I'd like to see us deal MacA for a '13 2nd and move Komarov into his spot

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
As I said, obviously finding someone that can be an upgrade over Bozak or even Grabovski with size would be the ideal situation... but not many teams are likely to just give them away, let alone trade them for a fair package. A lot of teams will be looking at an overpayment as they are not common.

So instead of looking at depleting our roster depth and prospects depth, why not go after someone that would perhaps fit the role better as a "shut down" center, one that's big and can grind well.

His value is low, thus the value may be worth it.

Makes a lot more sense than the usual third line winger proposals.

Not sold that the JVR/Kessel line needs a big C.

What it needs IMO is a player that has the skill and hockey IQ to compliment that line.

Frankly, i don't think Boz has either quality.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I don't think Boyle is better than any of the 4 centers currently employed by the Leafs but he is bigger.

If cheap I wouldn't mind moving Grabovski to the wing and picking him up as a 3rd/4th line C with McClement filling the other spot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would love him but I think it'd cost a better prospect than either of those two- but not one of our top guys. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him with McClement who has played wing this year, so they could rotate taking draws. I love Komarov and don't like seeing him on the 4th unit.

I'd like to see us deal MacA for a '13 2nd and move Komarov into his spot

EDIT: Looks like I completely miss-read what you wrote. My bad. MacArthur for a 2nd, not with a 2nd for Boyle. My bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad