2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
[/B]

isn't this why the Leafs signed Connolly?

Clarkson brings so much more to a team then just stats and if this team has any hope of competing in the playoffs then they'll need players like Clarkson

I don't see Clarkson going anywhere. He's a big reason the Devils are in the playoff race at all, after losing Parise for nothing.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
[/B]

isn't this why the Leafs signed Connolly?

Clarkson brings so much more to a team then just stats and if this team has any hope of competing in the playoffs then they'll need players like Clarkson

Connolly also didn't hurt this team. We had nowhere else to spend the money that summer after Richards signed in NY. He hasn't hurt this team.

At the time of Komisarek/Armstrong signing people also said they brought so much more like leadership, fighting, etc.

The 1st year of having Clarkson might be a good contract but the years after have a very very high chance of being terrible as he'll probably end up just being a 30 point 3rd line winger. Not someone you pay top end dollar for.

Toronto is also deepest at wing. We need to start dedicating more cap dollars to centers, dmen and potentially goaltending.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I think New Jersey will overpay for Clarkson if they have to. I give it a 99% chance he's a Devil next year.

Also can't understand why people want to break the bank for Ryan Clowe. UFA next year, 30 years old and having an absolutely horrid year. No way we should be trading assets just because he's tough and has grit.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Eklund says, we have entered the Bowmeester Chase. The leafs are also in on Derek Roy. Says the leafs are also interested in Boyes

Pretty sure the intention of the Islanders is to re-sign Boyes.

This is Eklund tho, so it makes sense.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who's out there brother? I would love one to but #1 c's are hard to find.

As a UFA?, lol well no one is, playing any position.:)

Names that could be?

Eh Rebeiro

Weisse

Roy i guess, off the top of my head.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Probably, but defensive ability in a center is always appreciated.

Bozak is no defensive phenom but he's responsible.

He's also decent on the offensive side of things but definitely not on the same level as Kessel.

It'd be interesting to see Grabo up there but he's been a bit of a black hole offensively lately.

Well lets put it this way.

I'd be fine if we brough in a C that could be the reverse of bozaks attributes.

One that has more O upside and less D upside.

I feel "decent" is far to generous when talking about his O skills.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
1st + Frattin + Grabovski + Blacker/Percy for Backstrom

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
Lupul (A) - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Bozak - MacArthur
McLaren - McClement - Orr
-Hamilton/Colborne

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf (C)
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Franson
-Kostka/Holzer

Replace Gunnarsson with Rielly next year
Replace MacArthur with a bigger tougher 3rd liner in the off-season

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
-Hamilton/Colborne

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf (C)
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Franson
-Kostka/Holzer

Hrmmm, i think i'd rather try Stastny who should take far less to get.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Why would Washington trade their #1 center when everyone knows how hard they are to acquire?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Anything new developing Chuck?

All is shockingly quiet despite the recent meetings. Lots of chatter, discussions and speculation, but it is just that.

Sounds as Iginla is potentially ready for a move, but really only wants to entertain a deal to Boston or Pittsburgh.

As we know, the Leafs are actively looking to upgrade their Top 6 Center position. They want someone with size, but are looking at other options to upgrade the overall skillset for that 1B type center. Stastny and Roy are both realistic targets under that final criteria if they cannot find someone with skill and size.

To me, spells the end of Grabovski and potentially Bozak in that slot in terms of those guys futures as a Top 6 for us. One may stick as a #3 Center, and due to contract that may be Grabo.

JM Liles has impressed and seemingly worked his way into the line up, but Nonis allegedly still wants to upgrade his Top 4 defensive core with a right handed shot. With Liles recent play there are still the interested teams circling around to see what the price tag is, but Carlyle likes his depth and Liles recent play.

Do you move Liles and pair Gunnarsson with Gardiner, or do you go with a different look and move Gunnarsson and continue with the smooth skating Gardiner-Liles pairing and rely on the skating the puck out of trouble?

Randy certainly has his options and needs to evaluate his defensive core over this next week to decide what direction he wants to go in.

Certainly an interesting time to be following this team and to see what they do for the recent push.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
All is shockingly quiet despite the recent meetings. Lots of chatter, discussions and speculation, but it is just that.

Sounds as Iginla is potentially ready for a move, but really only wants to entertain a deal to Boston or Pittsburgh.

As we know, the Leafs are actively looking to upgrade their Top 6 Center position. They want someone with size, but are looking at other options to upgrade the overall skillset for that 1B type center. Stastny and Roy are both realistic targets under that final criteria if they cannot find someone with skill and size.

To me, spells the end of Grabovski and potentially Bozak in that slot in terms of those guys futures as a Top 6 for us. One may stick as a #3 Center, and due to contract that may be Grabo.

JM Liles has impressed and seemingly worked his way into the line up, but Nonis allegedly still wants to upgrade his Top 4 defensive core with a right handed shot. With Liles recent play there are still the interested teams circling around to see what the price tag is, but Carlyle likes his depth and Liles recent play.

Do you move Liles and pair Gunnarsson with Gardiner, or do you go with a different look and move Gunnarsson and continue with the smooth skating Gardiner-Liles pairing and rely on the skating the puck out of trouble?

Randy certainly has his options and needs to evaluate his defensive core over this next week to decide what direction he wants to go in.

Certainly an interesting time to be following this team and to see what they do for the recent push.

Thanks buddy, certainly makes enough sense

Do you know if there is any interest at all around the league for Grabovski, when you factor in his contract?

And would Nonis move him so soon after extending him? Or would he play it off as a Burke move that doesn't fit his (Nonis) plan in the future?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Because they've been brutal for 2+ years now. They need a change (other than the coach) and I highly doubt Ovechkin is ever getting traded.
So you think they'll move their 25 year old #1 center who's a career ppg?

Trading Backstrom for that package makes Washington a much worse team. You won't get him for spare parts.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
-Hamilton/Colborne

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf (C)
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Franson
-Kostka/Holzer

Throw in next years 1st too.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Backstrom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stastny

Not even on the same level. Let's not settle for mediocrity as we always do, we need a top flight big time #1C for Kessel.

Duhh i'm not an idiot i see the spread between the 2.

If i even thought that there was a remote chance that Wash would ever consider moving Backstrom,well.

As far as i see it, making trade proposals for Back is about as silly as making them for Getz,E Staal and players of that ilk, they ain't being moved or shopped, plain and simple.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Thanks buddy, certainly makes enough sense

Do you know if there is any interest at all around the league for Grabovski, when you factor in his contract?

And would Nonis move him so soon after extending him? Or would he play it off as a Burke move that doesn't fit his (Nonis) plan in the future?

He certainly has the bolded luxury.

But we may find Grabovski's contract may be difficult to move with the new CBA.

He's certainly not a liability and can still be a spark plug and create offense when he's confident and playing simple, so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.

But its just whether or not his contract makes sense long term for where Carlyle and Nonis want to bring this team.

I wouldn't take issue with him being used in a Top 9 Scenario where the offense is spread and he's relied upon to shut down 2nd and 3rd lines.

I'd prefer Bozak in that slot, and I am sure a few within the organization may feel the same but beggers cant be choosers!

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
From the beating I took suggesting Kessel for Burns SJ fans seemed to be under the impression that team doesn't think they can win now and are looking to retool

Wonder if Thornton or Marleau would be available....and if it wouldn't cost to much future to acquire one of them

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Neither Gunnarson or Gardiner have ever played the right side for us so I don't see those two being paired up together.

Carlyle was very reluctant to play Phaneuf and even Liles on their off-side (the Right Side) but both have seemed to do well so I think he's going to ride those two for the rest of the season which leaves us with a very good bottom pairing of Fraser-Franson.

The Kostka-Holzer experiment looks to be over. I'm guessing Kostka isn't here next year but Holzer is and is better for the exposure he got this year.

Liles could still move but I don't see it as a deal for futures.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because they've been brutal for 2+ years now. They need a change (other than the coach) and I highly doubt Ovechkin is ever getting traded.

UMMM what?

They knocked off the reigning Stanley cup champs(Bost) and took the reg season east(NYR) champs to 7 games.

How is that sucking????

This season for them is only, i repeat ONLY 29 games in and they are having a tough time of it, so what?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

He's certainly not a liability and can still be a spark plug and create offense when he's confident and playing simple, so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.

But its just whether or not his contract makes sense long term for where Carlyle and Nonis want to bring this team.

I wouldn't take issue with him being used in a Top 9 Scenario where the offense is spread and he's relied upon to shut down 2nd and 3rd lines.

I'd prefer Bozak in that slot, and I am sure a few within the organization may feel the same but beggers cant be choosers!

I agree. I still like him and what he can bring to the team. Last season, I 100% wanted him signed and to keep him.

Then we signed McClemant and nothing changed for me, but now I see that he is a really solid player and although he isn't as offensive, he is still solid.

Then Kadri has played extremely well.

Now I'm not opposed to moving Grabo and am open to the possibility. If Kadri is able to maintain his production and if he is able to continue playing against opposing top lines, he will become a legitimate top line center. And then I look at it and Kadri, Bozak, McClemant isn't all that bad down the middle.

If that happens I am sure soon after we will want a great #2 due to lack of offense from McClemant moving Bozak and him each down a line, but then we would be getting greedy :laugh:

Although Grabo is still important to the team, I think as soon as next season he will no longer be needed due to prospect development (especially with Colborne seemingly to finally be knocking on the door). That money may be best served as another top defender....before that defender as well becomes not needed due to prospect development.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
UMMM what?

They knocked off the reigning Stanley cup champs(Bost) and took the reg season east(NYR) champs to 7 games.

How is that sucking????

This season for them is only, i repeat ONLY 29 games in and they are having a tough time of it, so what?

They started out pretty poorly last season.

Then they fired their coach and brought in Dale Hunter who turned the team around and got them into the playoffs where Holtby went into mega beast mode and carried the team past the first round.

But then Hunter missed his London Knights and returned back to junior so Washington hired another coach.

Under this new coach they haven't played well again.

What this tells me is that Washington can play pretty well if they have an excellent coach but still needed a superb performance from their goalie to get anywhere in the playoffs. Logically it makes sense to find a new coach. But that seems unlikely since it would be the 4th coach in 2 season.

I doubt Washington does anything major this season. I doubt they do anything major for most of next season. If they still aren't playing to what one would expect from a team with the caliber of players they have, at the trade deadline they may do something since I still don't see them replacing the coach at that point in time likely meaning a shake up of their line up.

Their GM McPhee may be gone before then however (I don't think Washington fans like him much at all) and if that happens, who knows what he will do with the team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I'm torn.

Are we giving up on Grabo to soon?

Is the leash so short because we are pssed that he forced a 5.5m contract out of BB?

What does Boz want in a contract? What if his demands are as painful as what Grabo was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad