2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
So looking through some top 4 right handed defense men, I thought of an interesting trade scenario that no one had really talked about yet. Lebrun reported a while a go that Dan Boyle may be available. Yes he is older, but I think he would be an absolute stud beside phaneuf and provide a veteran presence. I'm not sure what the cost would be, but the fit is there, and haven't really heard anyone talk about it yet.

I'd love Boyle and still think he has a few more really good years in him.

If we somehow managed to get him without touching our top assets (Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Kadri, Lupul, Rielly, Gardiner, 1st this year) he could take us to that next level.

Look at how big of a difference a healthy Markov has made in Montreal and that is the type of impact we could expect from Boyle.

I wouldn't have any problem giving that much cap space to Boyle. It's just how many assets we'd have to trade that could be the problem.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

If we somehow managed to get him without touching our top assets (Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Kadri, Lupul, Rielly, Gardiner, 1st this year) he could take us to that next level.

Look at how big of a difference a healthy Markov has made in Montreal and that is the type of impact we could expect from Boyle.

I wouldn't have any problem giving that much cap space to Boyle. It's just how many assets we'd have to trade that could be the problem.

San Jose really wants to make a culture change, but they still want to compete.

If we dont see a shake up in the next couple of weeks, then we will in the summer.

This core has had quite a few years to put everything together and has failed to do so, now it seems they are regressing from previous years and it could need to be altered.

With that said, I am not sure they'd be willing to move Boyle for all futures but maybe something based around Gunnarsson+____ for Boyle may entice them enough to get younger, change the culture and still be able to compete.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
I have a feeling Bozak will be dealt.

I wouldn't pay him more than 2.75/ per and that's being generous.

Edit: I would love to add Boyle for a bargain but I'm sure others will be on him as well.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If San Jose wants a culture change they need to move Thornton. They wasted his prime with poor playoff performances

Sometimes you don't have to move your biggest pieces to open other players eyes.

I'd pay the price for Thornton, not Boyle. Boyle is starting to remind me of Kaberle, when we traded him. We'll see if he gets back to form. For Gunnarson and maybe a 3rd, I suppose. But we don't really need him, do we, with Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner in the line-up.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
San Jose really wants to make a culture change, but they still want to compete.

If we dont see a shake up in the next couple of weeks, then we will in the summer.

This core has had quite a few years to put everything together and has failed to do so, now it seems they are regressing from previous years and it could need to be altered.

With that said, I am not sure they'd be willing to move Boyle for all futures but maybe something based around Gunnarsson+____ for Boyle may entice them enough to get younger, change the culture and still be able to compete.

What kind of + would they consider?? If they're high on Gunnarsson, who is an RFA and needs a raise, maybe including a scoring winger like MacA would help them both in the long run and short run .. Balances out the cap hit for this year on the Leafs

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I'd pay the price for Thornton, not Boyle. Boyle is starting to remind me of Kaberle, when we traded him. We'll see if he gets back to form. For Gunnarson and maybe a 3rd, I suppose. But we don't really need him, do we, with Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner in the line-up.

Boyle is nothing like Kaberle. Have you even watched him this year? I just watched him yesterday....he still has the goods. Great outlet passer. Great offensive instincts. Still great positional defender. I'd love this guy on my team (Oilers). I watch the Leafs a lot....he would be the Leafs best dman. If he could be had for Gunnar + that would be an awesome move by Nonis

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

Yeah thats kind of how I felt about it. All about the cost. But if its similar to what Chuck proposed (Gunnar +) I would be all over it.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What kind of + would they consider?? If they're high on Gunnarsson, who is an RFA and needs a raise, maybe including a scoring winger like MacA would help them both in the long run and short run .. Balances out the cap hit for this year on the Leafs
I'd do that for sure. Gunnar will likely see a good 3m/yr I'd think and personally I wouldn't want him at that cap hit (but I know that's in the minority in that regard).

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I'd do that for sure. Gunnar will likely see a good 3m/yr I'd think and personally I wouldn't want him at that cap hit (but I know that's in the minority in that regard).

I cannot see San Jose really wanting both.

They want some cap flexability, along with some future pieces to re-tool with.

If they can do that and still compete then that would be the deal they would certainly entertain.

He's not going to come cheap because he's still playing well and has term, so if they don't get what they want then he wont be moved.

If I were to assume, they'd want one of our better prospects like Colborne, a pick and a solid young defender like Gunnarsson.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
we're going to need a few speedy Ds with good hands to beat teams like ottawa montreal new jersey
boyle as a short term would be good (until reilly makes it)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
He must have been watching the game last night and thought there may be a spot for him.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

College free agent Andrej Sustr has signed a two year entry level deal with Tampa Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad