Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I'm glad people are noticing Macarthur was the playmaker of the KGM line, I know I pointed out Mac was the only 60+ point player on the line and he was the guy that had 41 assists that year to the Center who had 29. Mac is missed by Kule, since no one gets him the puck on that line. He's never in position to score
A year or two ago I'd be hesitant to agree with you on that one, but I'm starting to think you're right.

I'm not that hot on Grabo personally and Kulemin's offensive game has just evaporated the last two seasons. Maybe we could try to get his game going on a different line.

I don't know, I like Grabo but he's been pretty ineffective, and though I realize it's largely a product of how he's being utilized under Carlyle, it's still rough to see a 5.5 million dollar player not contribute as much as we'd hoped. I feel like that contract will do us no favors when it comes around to signing Bozie and Kessel soon.

Anyways, MacArthur and Kadri have a serious amount of chemistry so perhaps you're onto something. It just sucks to see Kulemin's offensive game all but disappear. I'm a huge supporter of Kulemin and I really like the defensive aspect of his game, but there's untapped offensive goodness somewhere in there that we've lost track of.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Is he worth 6.6M?

If Grabo goes the other way or we can trade Grabovski for picks/prospect then I would say yes. His salary doesn't mean anything to me since he only has 1 more year left vs 4 years of Grabo.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I wouldn't mind stastny as our #1C. He is defensively responsible and a natural playmaker. Would be great alongside JVR-kessel.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Nothing, I'm tired and I'm sure everyone else is of that one guy every few pages that is a Phaneuf hater. Like, seriously? Imagine the d without him, he plays in all situations and eats at the very least 25 mins per game while proving big hits, solid d, and offense.

Well I'm sick of all the homers that think he's king ****. Is that okay?mor should I just agreed with what you say?

My friends that aren't even Leafs fans think he's garbage.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
A year or two ago I'd be hesitant to agree with you on that one, but I'm starting to think you're right.

I'm not that hot on Grabo personally and Kulemin's offensive game has just evaporated the last two seasons. Maybe we could try to get his game going on a different line.

I don't know, I like Grabo but he's been pretty ineffective, and though I realize it's largely a product of how he's being utilized under Carlyle, it's still rough to see a 5.5 million dollar player not contribute as much as we'd hoped. I feel like that contract will do us no favors when it comes around to signing Bozie and Kessel soon.

Anyways, MacArthur and Kadri have a serious amount of chemistry so perhaps you're onto something. It just sucks to see Kulemin's offensive game all but disappear. I'm a huge supporter of Kulemin and I really like the defensive aspect of his game, but there's untapped offensive goodness somewhere in there that we've lost track of.

Yea I am starting to think a shakeup is in order for Grabo.

Just looking at Nashvilles lineup and their highest scorer being Colin Wilson. I wonder if they would be interested in Grabo to inject some more offense into their lineup.

I know they arent a team with a lot of payroll options so salary would have to come back.

So what about a deal around:

Grabo + 3rd for Legwand + 1st

Legwand is on the wrong side of 30, getting paid 4.5 million, would be a downgrade on Grabo, but he could continue providing what Grabo is currently doing and only on the books for another year. We also get a 1st back for taking the downgrade on Grabo. I dunno if they would be interested in trading Legwand, but hey its worth a proposal.

Leafs For Life*

I'd want Wilson in a deal with Nashville. Maybe a Watson+1st deal if we couldn't

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Someone mentioned Grabo for Wiess as an option, seems interesting depending on if he resigns.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Bozak at $4.5-5M :laugh:

Give me a break McLean!

I could see him get a Matt Stajen type deal on the open market (3.5 over 4 years) MAX!

Vancouver could really use a guy like him! Kesler banged up and Manny out...

TOR: Jensen + 1st (conditional they win 2 playoff rounds)/2nd
VAN: Bozak

THEN

TOR: Berglund
STL: Kulemin + Liles

Lupul - Berglund - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Mac - Grabo - Komarov

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Bozak is a guy we need to hang onto, he is getting way too many minutes for his skill level. He is better suited in the 2nd spot or even better as a third line centre. He hits, takes faceoffs and he can be used all over the lineup.

Time for the Leafs to explore trading Grabovski. Good player but as our young players evolve and mature I think he will be odd man out.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would anyone object to this line up?

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Weiss - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer
Rielly - Franson
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

Bring a couple of gritty local boys home who can bring experience and leadership. Sucks to pay your 3rd line centre 5.5 million but it is what it is. I think we need to get over the Grabo contract and be thankful at least he can play solid defensively. Get rid of Liles and Komisarek this summer to free cap space.

Even if we don't sign Weiss and Clarkson, the Leafs would still be in good shape and have loads of cap space to add a big piece or pieces via trade.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Would anyone object to this line up?

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Weiss - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer
Rielly - Franson
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

Bring a couple of gritty local boys home who can bring experience and leadership. Sucks to pay your 3rd line centre 5.5 million but it is what it is. I think we need to get over the Grabo contract and be thankful at least he can play solid defensively. Get rid of Liles and Komisarek this summer to free cap space.

Even if we don't sign Weiss and Clarkson, the Leafs would still be in good shape and have loads of cap space to add a big piece or pieces via trade.

no thanks to WEiss or Clarkson.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Replacing GABO with a centre with size skill and sandpaper is the right move

Colin Wilson was that guy..and still is...

Gabo + for Wilson would hurt but its a trade we benefit from

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
no thanks to WEiss or Clarkson.

I can see not wanting Weiss, but why not Clarkson? 30 goals tough guys don't grow on trees. We will need a guy like this, because when the Leafs are healthy they're a lot less gritty/tough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Let's just imagine if Grabo is gone for a first rd pick, though that may be unlikely this year with the 5.5 tag.

Based on this year, will this team sink? I don't think so, he has not been a factor for us in the Win column.

Maybe Colborne can fill the bill, Colborne who is still battling wrist problems, is a very dependable defensive player. He's a +7 on the Marlies which is better than Kadri's +5.

The way the Marlies look up here when promoted, would anyone be surprised if he outplays the expectations on him. This is a kid with almost 3 years of AHL under his belt, he is ready and we risk the possibility of stalling his progress.

Grabo and Kule are not happening anymore, Grabo isn't even getting chances to score without Mac 5 on 5, when they were at their best under Wilson, they provided good shutdown ability with secondary scoring.

This shutdown label was just an excuse made by some to absolve them of any blame, in their day under Wilson they played against top 6 lines, so nothing has changed, what needs changing is a new #3C that may give life to Kule.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't see Clarkson being successful on our team. He seems like the kind of guy that works well in NJ system. Like the player but he's going to get overpaid.

Yeah the contract for both players scare me. With Clarkson there is a high chance of him only being productive for a few years, kind of like Clowe. Then we're stuck with another 4 - 5 million 3rd liner.

I'm just a big Clarkson fan and think he'd also play well under Carlyle. If we could get him on a shorter term contract, maybe 3 or 4 years, I'd be happy to have him on the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No he isn't but he's a better player than Bozak on the top line. A true playmaker who would thrive with actual top six wingers.

I'd rather wait for something better if I am going to commit that much money on a player, be patient because if another player becomes available and we prematurely went after Statsny, our hands are tied already.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Move Grabo to Nashville for a 1st + Austin Watson

Call up Colborne to see what he can do, I still have hope for the guy. If not, we can trade for a guy like Weiss depending on how much they are looking for

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
Lupul - Colbone - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr

I really like that 3rd line. Something about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad