Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
In terms of their personal cap hits or how we'd fit them on the team?

Bottom line. If if youre able to add guys of that calibre, do so, and trade/move other guys to make room. Grabo is overpaid, Komi will be bought out this summer, Lupul could be moved, etc. and our top 6 would still be far far better, with Perry, Getzlaf, Kessel, Kadri, JVR, MacArthur, etc. and id prefer to have a guy like Perry on the team overpaiid by 1-1.5M compared to a guy like Grabo who is overpaid by the same amount.

In saying that, I highly doubt Getzlaf leaves Anaheim, and if Perry leaves, we're just one of several teams that have a decent shot.

how we would fit them on the team with other contracts we have moving forward

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
that's setting your bar pretty low

Current NHL centers with higher points per game than Kadri:

1. Crosby
2. Stamkos
3. Malkin
4. Ribeiro
5. Getzlaf
6. Staal
7. Tavares
8. Thornton
9. Datsyuk

Probably could qualify as a first line center already, no?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Bozak will get $3-$3.5. Comparables to him would be Wellwood and Stajan I'd think.
I also think that Kadri will get a short-term bridge contract. Probably $3.5 for 2 years, and then will get a bigger contract. Sort of like the contract that Duchene got as a comparable

I honestly can't see Bozak getting 4-4.5 million. 3, maybe 3.5 million is fair for a guy who is a #2 or #3 centre. Hope some loyality kicks in with this negotiation. For starters, he is getting a really good opportunity on our team due to him playing on Kessel's line. Probably doesnt get that on most teams. Also...he is making 1.5 on this contract, but his original deal had a cap hit of 3.75 million per year. Not sure what his actual salary was, but he was obviously given a big ass bonus to sign here. Basically, we have already paid quite a bit up front for his services.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I sure hope Bozak isn't seriously after those numbers, otherwise he can go wherever he wants. We can't pay him that. Plus if Kadri is going to keep on developing well then he's just a better faceoff % away from taking Bozak's spot.

The question of what the team does with Bozak should be interesting. They will have to decide what his role would be going forward and put a number on that.

To me Bozak is a player that should be in the 2.5 to 3 million range.

I could see paying him 3.5 per year on a short term deal if we loss out on all the better options in terms of who we could trade for at the draft or sign in free agency.

Anything more then that and really hope Nonis lets him walk. Which opens up another opportunity for someone else like a Colborne, one year cap dump player from another team, Horcoff after he gets bought out, etc.

I don't view Bozak much different than Dominic Moore of a few years ago. A 3rd line speedster who was just given a prime opportunity to play 1st line minutes on a bad team.

As the team develops he's losing his importance to the team. Take Kessel away from Bozak and he isn't nearly the same player.

Gving him term and significant dollars would be a big mistake.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Current NHL centers with higher points per game than Kadri:

1. Crosby
2. Stamkos
3. Malkin
4. Ribeiro
5. Getzlaf
6. Staal
7. Tavares
8. Thornton
9. Datsyuk

Probably could qualify as a first line center already, no?

I think that's indisputable. The real issue is if you remove Kadri from the 3rd line replaced with Bozak, it really weakens the threat the 3rd line has:

Komarov - Bozak - Macarthur

Bozak isn't Kadri, and that 3rd line wouldn't provide nearly as much depth as Kadri on the 3rd right now.

That said, it's bound to happen... just a matter of time.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I think that's indisputable. The real issue is if you remove Kadri from the 3rd line replaced with Bozak, it really weakens the threat the 3rd line has:

Bozak isn't Kadri, and that 3rd line wouldn't provide nearly as much depth as Kadri on the 3rd right now.

I agree with the weakening of the 3rd line. Teams now must key in on at least two lines, put Kadri with Kessel and JVR and all of a sudden teams will be really concentrating on that line alone. It may even result in less points for all on that line as teams would have specific strategy for shutting down the one line.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Whatever line Kessel or Kadri will set mostly offensive zone opportunities/starts.

Grabo-Kuli have been the basis for our checking line.

Switching Bozak with Kadri could mean that Bozak could potentially help Grabo's line the most because Bozak could take some of the defensive line matching roles away from Grabo. Freeing Grabo up to focus more on offense.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I agree with the weakening of the 3rd line. Teams now must key in on at least two lines, put Kadri with Kessel and JVR and all of a sudden teams will be really concentrating on that line alone. It may even result in less points for all on that line as teams would have specific strategy for shutting down the one line.

Exactly. So that's why Bozak is our "1st line centre" by design. It's not a bad thing.

But, I really don't see enough in him to warrant a long term deal over seeking an upgrade. Stastny would be an upgrade and I believe Colorado will eventually sell him. I just can't see us going into the postseason with Bozak as our #1C... I think Nonis adds a piece.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
It's been 20 games..

...of his first season.

You can't really discredit what he's done so far. If he is given closer to 20 mins with 1st line wingers, there's no reason he can't continue putting up a 1st line scoring pace.

I think Nonis has a big task ahead of restructuring this team. We still need a more offensively gifted center for Kessel's line, as well as getting Kadri a complete line with at least 2nd line talent. Mac seems great, but one of Lupul, Frattin, Kessel, or JVR need to get in on that and move forward.

I also think we need to move Grabovski. What I'd like to see moving forward in the top 9:

Lupul/JVR - ??? - Kessel
MacA - Kadri - JVR/Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Frattin/Kulemin

Bozaks face off prowess and lack of scoring punch could make him an excellent defensive center, if the he and the coach want to pursue that. Package possibly Frattin and Gardiner/Reilly for a true 1C with 2way ability.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
weiss still makes a good UFA fallback plan for us in the summer
he'd love to play here
we could let bozak walk and replace him with weiss

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Exactly. So that's why Bozak is our "1st line centre" by design. It's not a bad thing.

Yes it is. Bozak is getting outscored even strength by Grabovski and even "3rd line centre" McClement. He is literally dragging down the top line at even strength for 15 minutes every game. Meanwhile everyone dumps on Kessel as if he should be putting up more points with an anchor for a centre, or saying we should ditch Grabo because he's not scoring enough in a checking role with a rotating cast of wingers who can't score.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yes it is. Bozak is getting outscored even strength by Grabovski and even "3rd line centre" McClement. He is literally dragging down the top line at even strength for 15 minutes every game. Meanwhile everyone dumps on Kessel as if he should be putting up more points with an anchor for a centre, or saying we should ditch Grabo because he's not scoring enough in a checking role with a rotating cast of wingers who can't score.

The merits of keeping Bozak as a #1C until we can replace him with an upgrade while retaining the balance of our existing lines outweigh those of swapping Bozak and Kadri.

What we're doing now is working for us. It's working for Kadri, it's working for our defense, our GA/G, our collective SVP and GAA, our special teams, and we are getting results. Bozak as the #1C is the best way to balance our 3 scoring lines ATM.

Last edited:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
The merits of keeping Bozak as a #1C until we can replace him with an upgrade while retaining the balance of our existing lines outweigh those of swapping Bozak and Kessel.

What we're doing now is working for us. It's working for Kadri, it's working for our defense, our GA/G, our collective SVP and GAA, our special teams, and we are getting results. Bozak as the #1C is the best way to balance our 3 scoring lines ATM.

but its not long term
its transitional
kadri will eventually be a #1 or #2
bozak will be a #2 or #3
grabo = #2 or #3

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The Leafs are constantly getting outshot every game. It's not sustainable past 30 or 40 games and certainly not into the postseason, if you want to look that far.

How can you say Bozak as #1c is the best alternative? Carlyle hasn't even tried Grabovski or Kadri there. Grabo-Kadri-McClement would be a perfectly reasonable set of centers until a dominant #1 guy is found. There is really no reason for Bozak to keep getting quality minutes and doing nothing with them, other than maybe iwnning faceoffs. If that's so important then just have him take draws and then come back to the bench.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Offer Bozak a marginal raise on a short term deal. If he doesn't accept, let him walk.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Weiss is out for season if I read that correctly.

Thank god we aren't going to make a trade for him.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
...of his first season.

You can't really discredit what he's done so far. If he is given closer to 20 mins with 1st line wingers, there's no reason he can't continue putting up a 1st line scoring pace.

I think Nonis has a big task ahead of restructuring this team. We still need a more offensively gifted center for Kessel's line, as well as getting Kadri a complete line with at least 2nd line talent. Mac seems great, but one of Lupul, Frattin, Kessel, or JVR need to get in on that and move forward.

I also think we need to move Grabovski. What I'd like to see moving forward in the top 9:

Lupul/JVR - ??? - Kessel
MacA - Kadri - JVR/Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Frattin/Kulemin

Bozaks face off prowess and lack of scoring punch could make him an excellent defensive center, if the he and the coach want to pursue that. Package possibly Frattin and Gardiner/Reilly for a true 1C with 2way ability.

Completely agree. I actually think we should put Lupul back with Kessel when he is healthy, and create a new 2nd line with Kadri/JVR/Frattin. CMac could move to a 3rd line with Bozak and Komarov. I would deal both Grabo and Kulemin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad