Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I think Columbus maybe has a bit of an internal cap.

But

Grabovski ($5.5 Million)
Liles ($3.875 Million)
Maybe Retain some salary?

for

Dubinskey ($4.2 Million)
Prospect/Pick/Player? Idk what would fit here.

Leafs would likely have to take back some salary as well.

Not sure about that, it frees up a lot of cap space. And makes our lineup bigger.

Lupul/JVR-Bozak-Kessel
JVR/Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Dubinsky-Kulemin
McClaren-McClement-Orr/Brown

Trade Mac for a pick or something at the deadline. Looks like a solid lineup. That 3rd line would be a terror on the forecheck.

Detroit gave up a 1st for Quincey...clearly they are screwed in the head.

Liles for 1st would be gettable from Detroit.

And cap space will be a big deal when looking at the salary cap next year. Honestly if Liles & Grabo got shipped out for even semi decent returns, and Komisarek was the compliance buyout, that leaves the Leafs with a lot of room to make a splash this off season, while upgrading Kadri, Fransons, Komarov's, etc's contracts.

Dubinskey would be put back into his perfect role of 3rd line C, and Kadri would graduate up to the second line.

Exactly. And if by some miracle we get Getzlaf after re-signing Bozak, move Bozak to the 3rd Line C, Dubi to wing then Komarov to the 4th line. That's one *****in lineup.

I would think Columbus adds to Dubi for Grabovski...I wouldn't hate a deal like Dubi + 2nd for him, but even then, we're not saving a whole lot on the cap, the biggest difference is contract length where Grabo has 2 more years on his deal than Dubinsky..

Most recent discussion from lasts thread.

Last edited:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
St.Louis and Toronto make interesting trading partners.

St.Louis wants to add a piece that bolsters their depth up front, and add some offence while doing so, yet they don't want to add a long term contract due to the players that will be expecting an increased salary this off-season.

Clarke Macarthur fits that mould well (if Toronto eats some salary), and Armstrong will more than likely be willing to deal a nice piece to get such flexability.

McCrea isn't untouchable in that organization, and could be a nice starting point of discussion between the two sides.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
St.Louis and Toronto make interesting trading partners.

St.Louis wants to add a piece that bolsters their depth up front, and add some offence while doing so, yet they don't want to add a long term contract due to the players that will be expecting an increased salary this off-season.

Clarke Macarthur fits that mould well (if Toronto eats some salary), and Armstrong will more than likely be willing to deal a nice piece to get such flexability.

McCrea isn't untouchable in that organization, and could be a nice starting point of discussion between the two sides.

So are you saying MacArthur for McCrea at the deadline? Or close to it? :P

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
So are you saying MacArthur for McCrea at the deadline? Or close to it? :P

Haha noooo, Im not saying that!

Just saying that St.Louis will have some chips to play if they are going to be looking for someone like a Clarke Macarthur.

I personally think they could get more than Mcrea, who projects to be what could be a decent 3rd line Center if he can get his consistancy and offensive game together, but Clarke's offensive output and skillset alone could get the Leafs more IMO.

But St.Louis could be a realistic home for Clarke if Nonis plans on selling him at the deadline. That was my ONLY point! :P

At this point tho, I dont think Nonis does move Macarthur.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Mac - Grabovksi - Kulemin
Komorov - McClement - Orr
Bench: Mclaren / Brown

Provide a lot of depth and defensive responsibility to the line up along with some offensive touch from the "3rd" line.

As we have seen, Carlyle wont hesitate to sit anyone, and if someone falters in the line up, we will see Mclaren or Brown instered into the 4th line with a promotion of McClement or Leo up into the Top 9, which has worked out well so far.

The Leafs do NOT have to move Clarke Macarthur or anyone for that matter.

But I do think Nonis will move someone that has lost favour to recycle his assets.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
St.Louis also lost MacDonald and Steen to injury in practice today (not sure how long), so they may be looking to make a move now.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Haha noooo, Im not saying that!

Just saying that St.Louis will have some chips to play if they are going to be looking for someone like a Clarke Macarthur.

I personally think they could get more than Mcrea, who projects to be what could be a decent 3rd line Center if he can get his consistancy and offensive game together, but Clarke's offensive output and skillset alone could get the Leafs more IMO.

But St.Louis could be a realistic home for Clarke if Nonis plans on selling him at the deadline. That was my ONLY point! :P

At this point tho, I dont think Nonis does move Macarthur.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Mac - Grabovksi - Kulemin
Komorov - McClement - Orr
Bench: Mclaren / Brown

Provide a lot of depth and defensive responsibility to the line up along with some offensive touch from the "3rd" line.

As we have seen, Carlyle wont hesitate to sit anyone, and if someone falters in the line up, we will see Mclaren or Brown instered into the 4th line with a promotion of McClement or Leo up into the Top 9, which has worked out well so far.

The Leafs do NOT have to move Clarke Macarthur or anyone for that matter.

But I do think Nonis will move someone that has lost favour to recycle his assets.

CMac does provide a lot of depth but if the Leafs can get an asset like a 2nd rounder for him then Nonis needs to do that.

CMac isn't the player that will make or break this season for us.

Having that 2nd rounder will either allow Nonis to continue to stockpile futures for the team or an extra asset to package with other assets to fill a need down the road.

The last thing the Leafs need is a winger like CMac who plays best in a transition type of game, doesn't make much of a physical impact, isn't great defensively and is clearly stuck behind Kessel, Lupul and JVR for prime minutes. Kulemin, Frattin, Komarov add much needed cycle/physical/strong on the puck elements and I'd play them ahead of CMac. McClement can also be added to the list of players I prefer over CMac.

CMac is just like Hagman/Stajan were for us. Good players on bad teams but don't have much of a role on a good team.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
CMac does provide a lot of depth but if the Leafs can get an asset like a 2nd rounder for him then Nonis needs to do that.

CMac isn't the player that will make or break this season for us.

Having that 2nd rounder will either allow Nonis to continue to stockpile futures for the team or an extra asset to package with other assets to fill a need down the road.

The last thing the Leafs need is a winger like CMac who plays best in a transition type of game, doesn't make much of a physical impact, isn't great defensively and is clearly stuck behind Kessel, Lupul and JVR for prime minutes. Kulemin, Frattin, Komarov add much needed cycle/physical/strong on the puck elements and I'd play them ahead of CMac. McClement can also be added to the list of players I prefer over CMac.

CMac is just like Hagman/Stajan were for us. Good players on bad teams but don't have much of a role on a good team.

I agree, I think Clarke should be moved to recycle assets as I dont believe he's a need for this team in the future.

The only question is, how soon is too soon?

I think pulling the trigger today is a bit too soon to move Clarke, with Frattin still not quite ready and Lupul still a few weeks away.

But there really isn't a future for him in this Leafs squad and in saying that, he should be moved once Lupul and Frattin are healthy to get at least another asset in this organization.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Have you heard anything about Steckel or Connolly, Chuck? I know we have 4 centres as it is, and Steckel sometimes fills in, but I know there are a lot of teams looking for centres, specially Steckel who is good at the dot.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Have you heard anything about Steckel or Connolly, Chuck? I know we have 4 centres as it is, and Steckel sometimes fills in, but I know there are a lot of teams looking for centres, specially Steckel who is good at the dot.

I'm curious on the Komisarek situation, if you have any tidbits on him as well, Chuck. :P

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I agree, I think Clarke should be moved to recycle assets as I dont believe he's a need for this team in the future.

I think pulling the trigger today is a bit too soon to move Clarke, with Frattin still not quite ready and Lupul still a few weeks away.

But there really isn't a future for him in this Leafs squad and in saying that, he should be moved once Lupul and Frattin are healthy to get at least another asset in this organization.

You're right it is still to early as the Leafs have their own injury situation and the trade market hasn't really heated up yet as a lot of teams are still trying to figure out what they are or aren't.

Last edited:

G51 K81*

I am skeptical by nature. I was just wondering how your rumours are so detailed? Unless you are working within the Leaf's management group or related to Dave Nonis, I have no clue how you would get this information.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

I haven't heard much in terms of Steckel, but I have heard that a pair of teams had offered Toronto a pick of some sort for Tim.

The belief is that the longer Nonis holds onto Connolly, the more rounds that pick will increase.

At this point, if the Leafs absorbed some salary, I am sure they could get a mid-round pick from St.Louis with the injury bug biting them. Or from any other team looking to acquire some veteran depth/skill as insurance.

But teams are STILL trying to identify whether or not they are pretenders or contenders for a playoff spot, and the gaps between the 11th seeds and the 8th seeds in each conference arn't enough to decide if teams are going to call it a season or not.

I still think we are about a week+ before teams really start putting their best proposals forward.

I'm curious on the Komisarek situation, if you have any tidbits on him as well, Chuck. :P

I personally have no idea about Komisarek.

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to take him on at this point.

Unless the Leafs absorbed a significant amount of his salary, I cannot see him being moved.

The Leafs dont need the cap space, and he can come in and play in a Carlyle system as a 6th defender in case of injury, so I dont see them hitting the panic button with Komi.

I honestly think he's here until the off-seasn where he will be bought out.

I am skeptical by nature. I was just wondering how your rumours are so detailed? Unless you are working within the Leaf's management group or related to Dave Nonis, I have no clue how you would get this information.

I have ALWAYS stressed what I post is rumors, hearsay and to take everything with a grain of salt! Nothing I say am I endorsing as "fact".

Sometimes Im lucky enough to get things right!

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Doesn't matter. He has been providing the Leaf Board with small tidbits of information for a few years, and is typically quite reliable.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I haven't heard much in terms of Steckel, but I have heard that a pair of teams had offered Toronto a pick of some sort for Tim.

The belief is that the longer Nonis holds onto Connolly, the more rounds that pick will increase.

At this point, if the Leafs absorbed some salary, I am sure they could get a mid-round pick from St.Louis with the injury bug biting them. Or from any other team looking to acquire some veteran depth/skill as insurance.

But teams are STILL trying to identify whether or not they are pretenders or contenders for a playoff spot, and the gaps between the 11th seeds and the 8th seeds in each conference arn't enough to decide if teams are going to call it a season or not.

I still think we are about a week+ before teams really start putting their best proposals forward.

I personally have no idea about Komisarek.

I honestly think he's here until the off-seasn where he will be bought out.

Makes sense. But I don't think those races are really going to get any clearer until really close the end of the season. I think too many teams try to just make the OT/SO just so they can get that single point, and thus making the standings that much closer.

Hopefully the Leafs continue to rise in the standings and we see the depth really come into play. As long as Frattin comes back and continues to perform, and our defense that is playing now continues to play well, there could definitely be some moves to be made with youngsters taking over. :yo:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Doesn't matter. He has been providing the Leaf Board with small tidbits of information for a few years, and is typically quite reliable.

He's spot on more then once.

All I know is that he's around the boys quite a bit. He knows what their relationships are like and what the dressing room is like. That's enough for me.

G51 K81*

Eklunds been right before as well. His rumours seem almost so detailed its like he talks to Nonis every day about this stuff. Doesn't have to reveal his source. Just want to know is he Dave Nonis? Is he another GM? Does he get it from a friend? Is he working at the MLSE?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Makes sense. But I don't think those races are really going to get any clearer until really close the end of the season. I think too many teams try to just make the OT/SO just so they can get that single point, and thus making the standings that much closer.

Hopefully the Leafs continue to rise in the standings and we see the depth really come into play. As long as Frattin comes back and continues to perform, and our defense that is playing now continues to play well, there could definitely be some moves to be made with youngsters taking over. :yo:

Agreed.

As every team and analyst has said from the beginning, this will be a SPRINT.

Teams could sneak into the playoffs after having one hot week, one goalie get hot, one line get hot.

There is no clear line in the sand this season, which means teams will hold their cards to their chest and their assets in their pockets probably right until the deadline.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Agreed.

As every team and analyst has said from the beginning, this will be a SPRINT.

Teams could sneak into the playoffs after having one hot week, one goalie get hot, one line get hot.

There is no clear line in the sand this season, which means teams will hold their cards to their chest and their assets in their pockets probably right until the deadline.

Hey CW, couple questions for ya.

1. Any indication from management with what they will do with the boatload of guys that they have maturing from the juniours/echl to the AHL?

A quick glance tells you several guys have a legit reason to play for the marlies. Ross, Devane, Crescenzi, Carrick, Biggs, Leivo, Percy, McWilliam, Broll.

2. Heard anything out of ANA? Indications of whether or not Getzlaf / Perry are more inclined to resign? If they dont are they likely to sign together?

Do you still believe the Leafs have as good a shot as any at signing both if they became available?

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
In regards to the ROR situation, I'm wondering if the Leafs are waiting until the deadline to see how valuable their 1st round pick would be. If we are still in the top 10 teams in the league as of April, maybe it would be worth throwing an offer-sheet his way. We lose our 1st, but we could easily recoup a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd by trading guys like Liles, MacArthur and Grabovski.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Hey CW, couple questions for ya.

2. Heard anything out of ANA? Indications of whether or not Getzlaf / Perry are more inclined to resign? If they dont are they likely to sign together?

Do you still believe the Leafs have as good a shot as any at signing both if they became available?

I dont have any answers regarding question 1, as of right now your guess is as good as mine.

But question 2, Anaheim managment will be working hard with Perry to sign an extension this coming week and will be using this seasons success as a crutch.

But Im not sold on Perry wanting to be there 100%. He's got strong ties out this way and I am sure he wouldn't mind hearing a pitch from Nonis.

He's aware of what comes with playing in Toronto, and certainly wouldnt shy away from it.

With that said, I'd say they have as good as a shot as anyone.

But in terms of Getzlaf, I am not sure. I dont think his fate will be determined by whether or not Perry leaves, but by the contract he is offered.

If Perry doesn't plan on signing a contract, we may see him moved at the deadline regardless of what position they are in.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I dont have any answers regarding question 1, as of right now your guess is as good as mine.

But question 2, Anaheim managment will be working hard with Perry to sign an extension this coming week and will be using this seasons success as a crutch.

But Im not sold on Perry wanting to be there 100%. He's got strong ties out this way and I am sure he wouldn't mind hearing a pitch from Nonis.

He's aware of what comes with playing in Toronto, and certainly wouldnt shy away from it.

With that said, I'd say they have as good as a shot as anyone.

But in terms of Getzlaf, I am not sure. I dont think his fate will be determined by whether or not Perry leaves.

If Perry doesn't plan on signing a contract, we may see him moved at the deadline regardless of what position they are in.

I've heard many reports about Getzlaf staying in Anaheim and I would be shocked if he bolts in free agency. Corey Perry is the one that seems most likely to take off though.

It is early in the season and they would be smart to get him signed as quick as possible, but I think that he waits around and if they do have success, that means he's going to get paid that much more. So for the Ducks, its almost a double edged sword. On one hand, they do well and sell it to him that he's the reason and he needs to stick around, or they tell him that he did so well that he's going to collect a lot more on the open market with a financially strapped team.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
In regards to the ROR situation, I'm wondering if the Leafs are waiting until the deadline to see how valuable their 1st round pick would be. If we are still in the top 10 teams in the league as of April, maybe it would be worth throwing an offer-sheet his way. We lose our 1st, but we could easily recoup a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd by trading guys like Liles, MacArthur and Grabovski.

That's an interesting stance.

If they are going to finish around the 8th spot, they could very well sell off their own 1st round pick and try and get another one around the deadline or even in the off-season. But you have to keep in mind that its a lottery for every team that finishes out of the playoffs, so if the Leafs finish out of the playoffs and get a top 3 pick by chance, then you will hear the storm of crap that Nonis will take.

I could also see the Leafs taking in a player that is worthy of an amnesty buyout, if they don't end up using both of theirs. Very similar to the Cody Franson and Lombardi deal, the Leafs were offered to eat contract that Nashville couldn't pay and were willing to give up a solid prospect in Franson for next to nothing. It could happen that a team like Columbus would trade RJ Umburger and his brutal contract and in return would give the Leafs a 1st or 2nd round pick, depening on what they got back. (just an example)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

If they are going to finish around the 8th spot, they could very well sell off their own 1st round pick and try and get another one around the deadline or even in the off-season. But you have to keep in mind that its a lottery for every team that finishes out of the playoffs, so if the Leafs finish out of the playoffs and get a top 3 pick by chance, then you will hear the storm of crap that Nonis will take.

I could also see the Leafs taking in a player that is worthy of an amnesty buyout, if they don't end up using both of theirs. Very similar to the Cody Franson and Lombardi deal, the Leafs were offered to eat contract that Nashville couldn't pay and were willing to give up a solid prospect in Franson for next to nothing. It could happen that a team like Columbus would trade RJ Umburger and his brutal contract and in return would give the Leafs a 1st or 2nd round pick, depening on what they got back. (just an example)

The chances of a team just narrowly missing the playoffs and ending up with 1st overall are astronomical.

That said, we're the Leafs and something like that would happen to us if we traded the pick.

Heres the %s from last year

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

25.0% - Columbus Blue Jackets - 65 points
18.8% - Edmonton Oilers - 74 points
14.2% - Montreal Canadiens - 78 points
10.7% - New York Islanders - 79 points
8.1% - Toronto Maple Leafs - 80 points
6.2% - Anaheim Ducks - 80 points
4.7% - Minnesota Wild - 81 points
3.6% - Carolina Hurricanes - 82 points
2.7% - Winnipeg Jets - 84 points
2.1% - Tampa Bay Lightning - 84 points
1.5% - Washington Capitals (from Colorado) - 88 points
1.1% - Buffalo Sabres - 89 points
0.8% - Dallas Stars - 89 points
0.5% - Calgary Flames - 90 points

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

I think with Nonis he's going right to the deadline if anything related to trading/giving up a first round pick, and even then it's hard because he has take a long look at how "secure" a playoff spot is-so unless Toronto is something ridiculous like 15 points between them and 9th place (edited I originally suggested 10 points, but even THAT is pushing it), I see him erring on the side of caution and keeping the pick-which as you say can always be packaged in offseason. But media are going to be vary wary of giving that pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad