Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VII- Could Liles be Garnering Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Panthers haven't been able to get **** for their high profile players. JBo walked, Vokoun walked, and they got ****ed in the Luongo trade. Now that they were gonna finally deal a pending UFA, he gets hurt for the rest of the year.

Feel bad for the fans.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
weiss still makes a good UFA fallback plan for us in the summer
he'd love to play here
we could let bozak walk and replace him with weiss

Not really. Weiss is gonna be looking for 4-5 M/YR, where as Bozak will command 2.5 at the absolute max.

Weiss is not a fall back plan for Bozie.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'd much rather keep Bozak than sign Weiss. Am I the only one that doesn't understand the attention he gets? I mean I guess he puts up decent numbers considering where he plays, but still. I don't think he's our answer.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Trade all of CMac, Liles, Steckel and Connolly before the deadline for extra picks/prospects.

Insert the youngsters into the lineup/give them extra opportunities/ice time.

Have lots of picks/prospects to make deals at the draft or simply load up on lots of extra picks.

Buyout or trade Komisarek in the off-season (I don't see any market for him now) and Nonis should be retaining salary in a deal for next season without 1st seeing how the draft/July 1st plays out.

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
I'd much rather keep Bozak than sign Weiss. Am I the only one that doesn't understand the attention he gets? I mean I guess he puts up decent numbers considering where he plays, but still. I don't think he's our answer.

I was never a fan of Weiss until recently. There was an article which showed that he faces incredibly tough competition and almost outscores all of them when he is on the ice. Really interesting stuff. He is a very strong two-way player surprisingly.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Bozak should be our future #3C, Kadri is looking better and better and as of now should be at least our future #2C... that leaves Grabovski out. He is getting paid too much to be our 3rd line checking center.

Package Grabovski + MacArthur + Liles, or even replace MacArthur with Frattin and land a #1C. Or Corey Perry.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Weiss is apparantly DONE for the year, I'm wondering if we should dangle Grabo in front of them, what could we get back in a trade for him to Florida?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Weiss is apparantly DONE for the year, I'm wondering if we should dangle Grabo in front of them, what could we get back in a trade for him to Florida?
Pretty sure he is a UFA, so if he's gone for the year as well no way we trade Grabo for him, especially if he isn't going back there anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They're in last place, why would they trade for anyone let alone a high paid Center?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
good for the Panthers
they were never as good as they were last year and now looks like they will add Jones, Mackinnon or Drouin to Hub and Markstrom
will be a great core to build around

sucks they didn't get anything for him but they'll still have the high end pieces that weren't coming from that trade anyway

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd like Vinny if he came reasonable and we could ship some salary/or them keep some.

He dominated Bozak on the draw last game. I think he could find his game up here - get the passion that he once had, and have the drive to win another.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Pretty sure he is a UFA, so if he's gone for the year as well no way we trade Grabo for him, especially if he isn't going back there anyway.

I don't think he meant trade Grabo for Weiss, he was just speculating what Florida would give up for him.

They may be looking for a guy like Grabovski since it looks like Weiss is going to test free agency. Losing Weiss for nothing leaves a big hole in their roster, which Grabovski could replace considering he's signed longterm.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

Re-read my post, I never said to trade Grabo for Weiss, I said that they DONT have a #2C which would make us excellent trading partnets. The question I asked was what could we get from them for Grabo.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I see the potential for there to be a deal with the Avs around Stastny for Grabovski. Both of them are players who are being overpaid and seem to be a better fit on the opposite team. In Colorado, the Avs already have Duchene and O'Reilly as their top two centers. Acquiring Grabovski will allow them to have a third option with speed and skill. Stastny is a good player in his own right, but his skating isn't near as good as Grabovski's skating and it has always been a knock on him. It is being speculated that O'Reilly will be traded by the Avs as soon as the offer sheet-imposed restriction is lifted roughly a year from now, and it will give the Avs a good one-two punch with speed in Duchene and Grabovski.

Stastny would come to the Leafs and he is exactly what we need: a skilled, playmaking center. Sure, he is grossly overpaid for this season and another, but we would finally have a first line-capable pivot. While he may not be a bona fide #1, he would be our #1 by default and would absolutely thrive with the wingers we have in our system. Having Stastny would also push Bozak as out #3 center, which is where I see him long-term.

So, with this being said, I propose:

To Colorado:
C Mikhail Grabovski
3rd 2014

To Toronto:
C Paul Stastny

With Grabovski out the door and Stastny coming into the fold, our forward group would look like this (when healthy):

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Bozak - MacArthur
Orr/McLaren - McClement - Komarov

To clarify, I added the 3rd to Toronto's side of the deal because both teams are getting rid of bad contracts, and Grabovski's has the longer term. Stastny would be up for a resigning at the end of next season, while Grabovski's contract doesn't end until after the 2016/2017 season. The Avs would end up paying out an extra $15.4M (starting at the beginning of next season), but would have a speedy second line center for three extra years to replace O'Reilly should he be dealt.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The way Chicago is playing this year, I doubt they would have any interest in Grabovoski. The market is thinning, maybe we can ask for a bag of pucks for #84.

I will settle for a 2nd rd pick, but maybe Nonis has some magic in him and finds a better deal.

If Joe Colborne's wrist continues to improve, it will be hard to keep him down on the farm.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Colorado would be trading Stats moreso for salary and because Duchene is due for a raise (along with Landeskog) .. And ROR would be their second line centre

No way would they trade for Grabo's 4 remaining years at $5.5 mill to have them as their third line centre ... They'd be looking more at Bozak to be honest, although they might as well see if he'll hit FA in the summer than give up Stats for him

Morlesio14*

I see the potential for there to be a deal with the Avs around Stastny for Grabovski. Both of them are players who are being overpaid and seem to be a better fit on the opposite team. In Colorado, the Avs already have Duchene and O'Reilly as their top two centers. Acquiring Grabovski will allow them to have a third option with speed and skill. Stastny is a good player in his own right, but his skating isn't near as good as Grabovski's skating and it has always been a knock on him. It is being speculated that O'Reilly will be traded by the Avs as soon as the offer sheet-imposed restriction is lifted roughly a year from now, and it will give the Avs a good one-two punch with speed in Duchene and Grabovski.

Stastny would come to the Leafs and he is exactly what we need: a skilled, playmaking center. Sure, he is grossly overpaid for this season and another, but we would finally have a first line-capable pivot. While he may not be a bona fide #1, he would be our #1 by default and would absolutely thrive with the wingers we have in our system. Having Stastny would also push Bozak as out #3 center, which is where I see him long-term.

So, with this being said, I propose:

To Colorado:
C Mikhail Grabovski
3rd 2014

To Toronto:
C Paul Stastny

With Grabovski out the door and Stastny coming into the fold, our forward group would look like this (when healthy):

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Bozak - MacArthur
Orr/McLaren - McClement - Komarov

To clarify, I added the 3rd to Toronto's side of the deal because both teams are getting rid of bad contracts, and Grabovski's has the longer term. Stastny would be up for a resigning at the end of next season, while Grabovski's contract doesn't end until after the 2016/2017 season. The Avs would end up paying out an extra $15.4M (starting at the beginning of next season), but would have a speedy second line center for three extra years to replace O'Reilly should he be dealt.

I would love that trade but this is what a avalanche fan would say

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
For all the HF Board Traders this might be an interesting watch tonight.

COUNTDOWN TO TRADECENTRE AIRS LIVE TONIGHT ON TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417379

NHL on TSN gets fans ready for one of the most anticipated dates on the league's calendar - Trade Deadline Day - with Countdown to TradeCentre, tonight at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt. Airing a month before the NHL Trade Deadline, the 30-minute special sets the table for TSN's industry-leading, multi-platform coverage of this decisive day on TradeCentre, live on Wednesday, April 3 from 8am et/5am pt to 6pm et/3pm pt.

Countdown to TradeCentre is also available live on TSN Mobile TV and will be available on-demand online at TSN.ca.

Host James Duthie is joined in the TSN studio by the Insider Trading panel featuring Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun. The Hockey Insiders provide the first word on who will be buyers, who will be sellers, and who will be trade bait – with a special emphasis on each of Canada's seven teams.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Colorado would be trading Stats moreso for salary and because Duchene is due for a raise (along with Landeskog) .. And ROR would be their second line centre

No way would they trade for Grabo's 4 remaining years at $5.5 mill to have them as their third line centre ... They'd be looking more at Bozak to be honest, although they might as well see if he'll hit FA in the summer than give up Stats for him

Presisely, thy'll want to turn one salary into 2 or 3.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
I'd like Vinny if he came reasonable and we could ship some salary/or them keep some.

He dominated Bozak on the draw last game. I think he could find his game up here - get the passion that he once had, and have the drive to win another.
Vinny is still a damn good hockey player. He has 18 points in 22 games this season. However, he has a $7.7M cap hit until he is 39 years old. That is just not something I am completely comfortable with, even if they take Grabo in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad