Speculation: 2013 Free Agency

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well. Who wants to give Perry over 8 million for the next 8 years. Because that's the new price.

Good thing there was a lockout to keep costs under control.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Does the Getzlaf contract mean Filppula's price tag just went up due to his center ability, and the fact that he outproduced the 8 million dollar man last season? I am aware that Getzlaf had an off year, and now Filppula is in the midst of a rough season, but if 8.25 million is the cost of a top center, wouldn't that make a guy like Filppula 5-6?

If someone wants to pay Flip 5-6M, I say God bless them as it would take the option away from Kenny and he'd have to let Flip walk. I don't see anyone throwing that much at him, though- apart from his career year last season, his previous career high in points was 40. He's a 35-45 point complementary player who is good defensively but apparently not good enough to take away enough of the PK burden from D and Z. And Babs doesn't seem trust him to play C, so I don't see other teams banking on that either.

I hope he goes to another team anyway after this season as it would open up a top 6 spot for a UFA/trade acquisition, or possibly Tatar or Nyquist. Instead of giving him a big contract, I'd rather they use a young guy in his place and instead devote the $$ they would have spent on Flip on a better player.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There are teams with cap space and massive center need...

I hate to say it, but he'd be stupid not to go to free agency. He'll get paid by somebody desperate.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If someone wants to pay Flip 5-6M, I say God bless them as it would take the option away from Kenny and he'd have to let Flip walk. I don't see anyone throwing that much at him, though- apart from his career year last season, his previous career high in points was 40. He's a 35-45 point complementary player who is good defensively but apparently not good enough to take away enough of the PK burden from D and Z. And Babs doesn't seem trust him to play C, so I don't see other teams banking on that either.

Agreed. If he gets $6M from someone, let's let their fans ***** about what they get. I want no part of Flip at that price.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Well. Who wants to give Perry over 8 million for the next 8 years. Because that's the new price.

The owners preach cost controls but are caught in a prisoner's dilemma where they can't help but hand out mega-deals and ultimately screw one another.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If you can move the 3 of the 4 guys I mentioned earlier you can do something like this.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.250m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.100m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.900m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Trade: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,321,667; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,138,333

1. You keep Pavs and Z together which Babs obviously wanted to do this year.
2. You only add Perry and DeKeyser, not likely but also not bat **** crazy.
3. You have "thickness" on all lines other than the top line.
4. 3 of your 4 right wingers are right handed shots.
5. You are only adding Nyquist from GR. All the other guys are proving themselves.
6. You are pairing an offensive d-man with a defensive d-man

So it's not impossible to add Perry. The big question is how much is Holland in love with keeping Mule, Sammy, Quincey and potentially Bert on the payroll. I am pretty sure you can move Q so long as you don't ask for much, like say a 6th round draft pick.

CloneHakanPlease*

If you can move the 3 of the 4 guys I mentioned earlier you can do something like this.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.250m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.100m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.900m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)

OTHER

Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Trade: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,321,667; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,138,333

1. You keep Pavs and Z together which Babs obviously wanted to do this year.
2. You only add Perry and DeKeyser, not likely but also not bat **** crazy.
3. You have "thickness" on all lines other than the top line.
4. 3 of your 4 right wingers are right handed shots.
5. You are only adding Nyquist from GR. All the other guys are proving themselves.
6. You are pairing an offensive d-man with a defensive d-man

So it's not impossible to add Perry. The big question is how much is Holland in love with keeping Mule, Sammy, Quincey and potentially Bert on the payroll. I am pretty sure you can move Q so long as you don't ask for much, like say a 6th round draft pick.

While that would easily fit us under the cap, it isn't really doable without dumping a lot of players in trades. Even if we use both our amnesty buyouts we'd probably keep Franzen over giving Filppula a big deal

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Corey Perry ($8.000m)

Unless Anaheim offers Perry less than Getzlaf's deal, we'll have to go north of $8M to get him. They can give him the extra year so Detroit would likely have to compensate with a higher AAV.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
While that would easily fit us under the cap, it isn't really doable without dumping a lot of players in trades. Even if we use both our amnesty buyouts we'd probably keep Franzen over giving Filppula a big deal

1. One player gets traded: Kyle Quincey. It can be done so long as we don't expect much if anything in return.

2. It's questionable whether Mule is worth that contract now, do you really think he's going to provide any value 5 years from now?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Haven't read the recent posts, but Anaheim is Pejorative Slured, stupid, ****ING IDIOTIC, for signing Getzlaf to that contract.

I can't even imagine what they're thinking giving him 1/7th of their cap. Morons.

He isn't THAT good.

AND, if Perry wants that, he can **** right off too. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Haven't read the recent posts, but Anaheim is Pejorative Slured, stupid, ****ING IDIOTIC, for signing Getzlaf to that contract.

I can't even imagine what they're thinking giving him 1/7th of their cap. Morons.

He isn't THAT good.

AND, if Perry wants that, he can **** right off too. Jesus Christ.

Woah. Calm down, my friend.

But I do agree with everything, though he is a good center. He's a Parise-level player, and if you take the cap circumventing years off Parise's deal, Getz was cheaper to Anaheim.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Woah. Calm down, my friend.

But I do agree with everything, though he is a good center. He's a Parise-level player, and if you take the cap circumventing years off Parise's deal, Getz was cheaper to Anaheim.

It doesn't look great, but you have to keep Getzlaf, that's how you build winners (up the middle). Not surprised that Perry will probably leave, in most cases great wingers end up needing either a great goalie, great defensemen or great center to actually win anything. I wonder if Perry will find a way to stay, but Anaheim has a ton ot re-sign.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Seems to me like Getzlaf's already peaked, which is pretty unusual given his age. He's been on the downswing for about four years now.

Granted, he is doing better this year. If he's able to hit his 07-09 numbers again, this could still be worth it.

RedWingsNow*

Just like the the PA said, the salary cap doesn't hurt the elite players. They're going to get paid.

It's the middle of the road veterans of the world who are going get frozen out -- especially in this upcoming offseason.

If Babcock can avoid the temptation, I expect Danny Cleary will sign for $800,000 to $1,200,000 on the market this year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Lockout did exactly what owners wanted.

Instead of cap. circum. this deal of bringing the cap hit to 6.5 to 7 mil Geta has cap hit of 8.25; that difference is out of the players money pool, not owners. Now Anaheim/owners can't use that little under 2 mil for anything. Before lockout they would have paid around the same for first 8 years anyway and have more cap space for some player(s); more money for players. Salary was the same, cap hit wasn't.

Owners got what they wanted and as The Fading Captain noted it's the vets and lower level players that are going to take the pay cut as elite players take their money.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm going to put in my (limited) opinion-

ryan getzlaf- supposed superstar that I've seen nothing special from
corey perry- elite and an interesting idea, though he seems moody like Getzlaf
mike ribeiro- older skilled support that I don't think the Wings need
nathan horton- NO. we will take Kreci though! :)
matthew lombardi- Calgary?? sorry don't know enough
michael ryder- YESSS the guy is an gamer. I would love him on the team.
stephen weiss- another older, excellent hockey player, better than Sammy!
raffi torres- YESS Like Ryder a serious baller, would help any team he goes to
clarke mcarthur- I hear his name enough on HNIC he must be good
ryane clowe- never. He's too old, has never once impressed me with anything he does, and is such a bad fit here. And besides how would he and Kronwall ever get along!:laugh:

lubomir visnovsky- from the 2:00 I've seen of him this year he looked amazing!
ron hainsey
robyn regehr
jordan leopold
douglas murray- no way. Lumbering, dumpy, too awkward. I've said it before he needs to lose at least 50 lbs.

So, I would take RYDER, TORRES, Mcarthur, Weiss?? and Visnovsky.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is 30 really old for an NHL player? I mean most (good) players stay good up until 36-39 years of age... Just because they broke into the league at 18 and have played for 12 years doesn't make them old imo.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Is 30 really old for an NHL player? I mean most (good) players stay good up until 36-39 years of age... Just because they broke into the league at 18 and have played for 12 years doesn't make them old imo.

I think this is the first time in my life that I agree with you about anything.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm going to put in my (limited) opinion-

ryan getzlaf- supposed superstar that I've seen nothing special from
corey perry- elite and an interesting idea, though he seems moody like Getzlaf
mike ribeiro- older skilled support that I don't think the Wings need
nathan horton- NO. we will take Kreci though! :)
matthew lombardi- Calgary?? sorry don't know enough
michael ryder- YESSS the guy is an gamer. I would love him on the team.
stephen weiss- another older, excellent hockey player, better than Sammy!
raffi torres- YESS Like Ryder a serious baller, would help any team he goes to
clarke mcarthur- I hear his name enough on HNIC he must be good
ryane clowe- never. He's too old, has never once impressed me with anything he does, and is such a bad fit here. And besides how would he and Kronwall ever get along!:laugh:

lubomir visnovsky- from the 2:00 I've seen of him this year he looked amazing!
ron hainsey
robyn regehr
jordan leopold
douglas murray- no way. Lumbering, dumpy, too awkward. I've said it before he needs to lose at least 50 lbs.

So, I would take RYDER, TORRES, Mcarthur, Weiss?? and Visnovsky.

Why 'NO' for Horton? Only issue I see is injuries, meaning concussion and then he could be put on IR.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think this is the first time in my life that I agree with you about anything.

Ha, I'll chime in with agreement as well.

The primary issue is we're on a site that puts prospects on a pedestal and the phrase "wrong side of 30" is part of the vernacular.

I also blame NHL video games, which has players degrade sharply around 35 and every team in the league scrambles to trade them, no matter how spectacular. :sarcasm:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why 'NO' for Horton? Only issue I see is injuries, meaning concussion and then he could be put on IR.

True if he did end up here I would welcome him with open arms. Again it's just that Kreci is so much more skilled IMO, but that isn't the discussion here.

My initial, gut reaction to the list was pretty subjective and uneducated upon review. I thought Weiss and Ribero were like 36, Clowe 34. They look older to me but they aren't. Ribero is the oldest at 33. Clowe 30 and Weiss 29. Still would put Clowe at the bottom of my list but this makes Weiss in my mind even more desirable. From what I've seen Weiss is an superb, hard working player. He could be better for us than Ryder.

Why is there less interest in Ryder here? He was a factor in the Boston cup run and was on fire for Dallas last season. I think Montreal was very happy to get him in trade. I have seen him get invisible also but usually seems to light it up.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
trade for jaybo using filppula, quincey, prospect plus whatever else it takes

sign clarkson

resign howie, brunner, smith and nyquist

let white, miller and cleary walk

bertuzzi on LTIR

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / David Clarkson ($3.850m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
OTHER
LTIR: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
Remove: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,781,212; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,678,788

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad