Canada
trade for jaybo using filppula, quincey, prospect plus whatever else it takes

sign clarkson

resign howie, brunner, smith and nyquist

let white, miller and cleary walk

bertuzzi on LTIR

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / David Clarkson ($3.850m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
LTIR: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
Remove: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,781,212; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,678,788

I like this a lot. Andersson as your 23rd man. My guess the prospect being used would have to be a decent one. Jurco or Sheahan.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Woah. Calm down, my friend.

But I do agree with everything, though he is a good center. He's a Parise-level player, and if you take the cap circumventing years off Parise's deal, Getz was cheaper to Anaheim.

Sorry for my vehemence last night... was 2.75m sheets to the wind, and that just caught me by complete surprise.

I just think it's absostinkinglutely ridiculous to commit a full 1/7th of your upcoming cap space to a single player; hell, even $7.5m would have been borderline in my opinion.

I know I'll get roasted for this statement -- and frankly, I don't care -- but I wouldn't give ANY player more than a $7.5m cap hit until the growth rate is all but guaranteed.

AND a NMC? ****, Getzlaf certainly got the last laf... er, laugh; trolled Anaheim all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I dont like that 3rd line. Would like to see us move Flip for a bigger and more physical center if Nyquist and Tatar are the wings and we are going to be in the east. Thats a really small line and I dont like Flip at center.

You don't really need a more physical center when you can outgun every 3rd line in the league. Flip is more than capable as a 3rd line center; it's when he starts trying to go up against true 2nd-liners that it becomes a problem.

That 3rd line would absolutely tear it up.

Red Menace

Get rid of Flip and keep Quincey.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (gasp) oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Flip is valuable to this team. If he wants too much money, there's not much to be done, but if he can be signed to a reasonable rate, then it needs to happen.

Also, Quincey is redundant and overpaid.

There's a 0% chance we get/or go after Corey Perry. Look at the re-signings we have to do. There won't be much $$$ laying around after that, maybe a few mil.

If Holland doesn't overpay for re-signings, there is slightly more than 0% chance the Wings could land Perry.

And Semin.

And still be under the cap.

Then again, with Anaheim basically showing everyone their middle finger, then planting it firmly up their own backside, who knows what'll happen now.

EDIT -- Just saw the Abdelkader signing. Pretty much forget everything I just said. Jesus, Mary, and Al Bundy. That pretty much stamps Filppula's ticket right out of town.

Meh, since I really enjoy CapGeek and playing GM:

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($7.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.450m)
Alexander Semin ($6.750m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.250m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($2.850m) / Ladislav Smid ($3.750m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Kent Huskins ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Trade: Jonas Gustavsson
Trade: Kyle Quincey
Trade: Johan Franzen
Trade or Let Walk: Valtteri Filppula
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,970,000; BONUSES: $355,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $685,000

Fun, yet frustrating at the same time.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I really doubt Brunner is gonna be resigned at only 2.5 mil. I believe he will be locked up to a 2-4 yr at around 3 mil per at the very least. He wouldn't suprise me if he gets locked up at around franzens cap hit (4 mil) but hopefully it isn't a long one.

If he isn't locked up and we let fil go I would say forward wise we should add Clarkson.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I really doubt Brunner is gonna be resigned at only 2.5 mil. I believe he will be locked up to a 2-4 yr at around 3 mil per at the very least. He wouldn't suprise me if he gets locked up at around franzens cap hit (4 mil) but hopefully it isn't a long one.

If he isn't locked up and we let fil go I would say forward wise we should add Clarkson.
3M for a streaky one-dimensional offense-only no-forecheck-no-physicality player...

give me a break

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
3M for a streaky one-dimensional offense-only no-forecheck-no-physicality player...

give me a break

Hahaha. I think you're still a little bitter because you thought he was going to flop like Brunnstrom, and because he's going to be better than Leino.

Well let's see Franzen is all those things you listed and makes 4 million/year.

Mike Cammalleri is all those things you listed and makes 6 million/year.

Ray Whitney and Hudler are all those things and make 4 and 4.5 million per year.

So yeah if you are producing points or goals you can still make some money regardless, and people do.

I don't think we're going to have a problem, I think we'll get him for 3m or less, and I think it's a good value.

CloneHakanPlease*

give me a break

I kinda compare him to a faster Michael Ryder who is improving defensively. Like it or not, even if his start was just a hotstreak, he looks like at the very least a 25 goal guy. 3 Million is below what a comparable player would want in the open market. Also, with the way he has been improving his two-way game, I think he will at least be serviceable defensibly. Not a pker or even good level obviously, but no worse than a guy like Hudler.

For all his faults, I can't be mad at a 3 year 9 mil deal if it happens. If he did all the stuff you wanted him to do he'd be in the 4.5+ range.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's a better Michael Ryder. Totally worth $3 million all day long. And if the Wings suddenly get better top 6 players, he'd look mighty deadly playing PP and 3rd line minutes, the way Ryder did when he helped push Boston to a Cup with timely goals from the 3rd line.

What I'm saying is, Brunner's a good player that fills a team need, keep him.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I hope they can get him signed up early and at a good rate. I agree that he is a much better player than anticipated - his defense is a bit worrisome so I don't see him on the 3rd line as much as the 2nd if we can sign an actual top line winger.

Agreed - keep.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If anything Brunner is the opposite of streaky. He gets a point almost every game and has only 1 multi point game this season.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Brunner game log, courtesy of Yahoo:
afe066808904c82fd29d988a0235f271.png

Definition of consistent so far. Any more consistent and he'd literally be a PPG forward, which I'm not sure if he is yet. Not without Zetterberg anyways.

Edit: oh man didn't read up far enough. Mindfly is the only poster calling him 'streaky'. Apologies for the off-topic, let's move on.

CloneHakanPlease*

He's a better Michael Ryder. Totally worth $3 million all day long. And if the Wings suddenly get better top 6 players, he'd look mighty deadly playing PP and 3rd line minutes, the way Ryder did when he helped push Boston to a Cup with timely goals from the 3rd line.

What I'm saying is, Brunner's a good player that fills a team need, keep him.

Pretty bold or at the very least premature statement imo. One has multiple 30 goal seasons and the other has 25 games in the NHL total.

I dont want to sell Brunner short as I think he can be a great player but so far he hasnt generated that much offense on his own. He can capitalize which is good, but Ville Leino looked like an all star too at the start and then later on a good line.

I think hes a great complimentary player but would be nervous at paying him more than 4 if were unsure we'll have a good enough core to fully utilize him. He's like Filppula in a way where he looks great on a line if hes not having to carry it. I hope he's retained but I just pray Holland isnt expecting 30 a year from him, and fails to bring in more help when he could still turn out to be just a hot start.

If he gets more than 4 mil I wouldn't be comfortable if its for more than 3 years still. Call me conservative, id rather lose out on a few bargain years than give a him a 5 year

Last edited by a moderator:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Pretty bold or at the very least premature statement imo. One has multiple 30 goal seasons and the other has 25 games in the NHL total.

I dont want to sell Brunner short as I think he can be a great player but so far he hasnt generated that much offense on his own. He can capitalize which is good, but Ville Leino looked like an all star too at the start and then later on a good line.

I think hes a great complimentary player but would be nervous at paying him more than 4 if were unsure we'll have a good enough core to fully utilize him. He's like Filppula in a way where he looks great on a line if hes not having to carry it. I hope he's retained but I just pray Holland isnt expecting 30 a year from him, and fails to bring in more help when he could still turn out to be just a hot start.

If he gets more than 4 mil I wouldn't be comfortable if its for more than 3 years still. Call me conservative, id rather lose out on a few bargain years than give a him a 5 year

Whoa

ScreenShot2013-03-11at82804PM_zpsfcf4d48d.png

:sarcasm:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

give me a break

He seems to be coachable in that the past 5 or so games he has been one of our two best forwards in backchecking (datsyuk has him beat but I would say no one else on the team atm).

He also has been trying to forecheck. Key word trying he won't be up for a selke anytime soon or anything. I don't think he is the greatest player in the league or anything but in all honesty right now can you really say is their a better player in the league as far as effect vs cost atm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->