Speculation: 2013 Free Agency

Edge of Sanity*

This might be the worst FA pool I have ever seen in my life. There is literally nothing worth having besides the two Anaheim guys.

******* look at that crop of defensemen... :(

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
From guys I think may/will test the market I would take a shot at

Perry
Smid
Semin
Horton
Clowe
Scuderi
Ryder
Murray
Raymond
Latendresse

Would love Getzlaf but I think he's a lock to re-sign. Smid too, I'm afraid.

DatsyukianDeke*

This might be the worst FA pool I have ever seen in my life. There is literally nothing worth having besides the two Anaheim guys.

******* look at that crop of defensemen... :(

Yeah because those other guys are clearly not as good as Cleary or Abby or Miller or Bert. :shakehead

We are not going to get elite players every FA, might as well get over that now. This isn't pre-lockout anymore.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah because those other guys are clearly not as good as Cleary or Abby or Miller or Bert. :shakehead

We are not going to get elite players every FA, might as well get over that now. This isn't pre-lockout anymore.

Yeah, almost every organization is signing their key pieces to life-time contracts, so the pool is getting thinner and thinner every year.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I'm with DatsyukianDeke on this one, the odds of grabbing elite talent in free agency is not going to be good. But a couple good signings of guys like Semin, Horton, Murray or Latendresse and having Gus and Tatar in the bigs full time can make them contenders. Defensively all they need is a stop gap for a couple years until Sproul and Ouellet make the club. That is assuming Holland doesn't wait until they are 35 to call them up.

If history shows anything Cleary gets a multi-year contract with a NTC, so look forward to that :laugh:

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
anybody know who the front runners are to get bough out on teams that the wings could get????

No one good, don't get your hopes up. Guys like Gaborik aren't going to get bought out like some crazy main board posters are speculating.

Some guys you can probably expect:
Mike Komisarek
Tomas Kaberle
Rick DiPietro
Ville Leino
Shawn Horcoff

and maybe if we're lucky:
Henrik Tallinder
J-M Liles

Don't want any part of these guys, and I don't expect many better players. One guy to keep an eye on could be David Booth in Vancouver. Was awesome when healthy in with Florida, struggling with injuries, can't seem to find his way with the Nucks. At 4.5 million for the next few years it's possible they try and clear him. I'd be REALLY surprised though, he might have some value in a trade.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

For me, it's not a question of if they're as good as those guys, but if signing them is worth the roster squeeze forcing a kid to GR for another year.

Let Cleary and Miller walk, shoot for the big names out there, but I'm not sure there's a point in signing someone modestly better than Sammy or Bert. Just plug a kid in there and ride out the final years of those other deals, to prepare to swing again the following summer. Even if we don't have a kid who's ready, I think there will always be a middle tier guy to sign for a reasonable, short salary.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Gotta remember, you don't build a contender through UFA. There's obvious needs on this team, but we're not filling all of 'em in one year. I love a good fantasy roster, but I've got to stay realistic. Reality is, even without looking at UFA, just re-signing our RFA, we're looking at a full roster. IMO a big statement will come when/if we use the amnesty buyouts. If we don't, then the bottleneck still exists and likely gets more clogged. Still working on a semi-realistic fantasy roster of my own.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
High end players never go to free agency these days

I wonder if that will change with Fehr at the head of the PA. In MLB, I think the union put a lot of pressure on guys to hit the open market and take the biggest deal they could (which wasn't hard with the Yankees around). We might start seeing more UFA hitting the open market and taking big deals, especially with the CBA locked in and no real worries about losing half their paycheck to rollbacks or anything else.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
After watching Philly and Ottawa today. The Wings are gonna need some more tough hombres in the East.

Perry
Clowe
Torres

Don't see the Wings signing a top pairing D-man. Would have to trade for one. And move out some other guys.

Oh and I'll still want the Wings to make a run at Semin on a 1yr deal for Pavel.

Perry, Clowe or Horton in the top 6 would be nice or add Frazer Mclaren to the bottom lines. Doing both while having Tootoo would be perfect. The wings would get bullied in that division if they dont address their toughness. It seems like Holland recognized that need a bit in signing Tootoo though so we'll see.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Would love Clarkson, but would settle for Clowe.

Would love Hainsley, but would settle for Murray.

Any of the above would surprise and delight.

btw: I believe both Cleary and Bert will retire at the end of the season.

BeerLeagueAllStar

Dec 27, 2009
Vermont
The 2013 RFA class has some star players too:

Anisimov
Kadri
Hodgson

OEL
McDonagh
Shattenkirk
Voynov

Also guys like Petro, Sam Gagner, Bogosian, who I like but will probably be out of our price range. I'd love Anisimov...6'3", fast, good hands, good shot, could play on Datsyuk's wing and then take over at center when Datsyuk eventually leaves. Probably not likely Columbus lets him leave since he was a big piece in the Nash deal, though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Anisimov
Kadri
Hodgson

OEL
McDonagh
Shattenkirk
Voynov

Also guys like Petro, Sam Gagner, Bogosian, who I like but will probably be out of our price range. I'd love Anisimov...6'3", fast, good hands, good shot, could play on Datsyuk's wing and then take over at center when Datsyuk eventually leaves. Probably not likely Columbus lets him leave since he was a big piece in the Nash deal, though.

I'm sure that OEL and McDonagh are out of the price range too. OEL will be perennial Norris Candidate, McDonagh #1D, maybe not enough offense for Norris.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Anisimov
Kadri
Hodgson

OEL
McDonagh
Shattenkirk
Voynov

Ken Holland and offer sheets : Does not compute!

BeerLeagueAllStar

Dec 27, 2009
Vermont
I'm sure that OEL and McDonagh are out of the price range too. OEL will be perennial Norris Candidate, McDonagh #1D, maybe not enough offense for Norris.

Good point. Realistically, I doubt Kenny goes after any RFA's, unless it's by trade...Just hoping he can sack up and get us some real players this offseason.

crashman

He did kick the tires on Weber. So maybe he changed his ways.

If that's true, I think that might have been a one time thing. Weber would have been best "quick fix" replacement for Lidstrom that this team could have hoped for. I don't think he'd offer-sheet anyone unless he was desperate and the perfect player was available, which I believe was the case.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If that's true, I think that might have been a one time thing. Weber would have been best "quick fix" replacement for Lidstrom that this team could have hoped for. I don't think he'd offer-sheet anyone unless he was desperate and the perfect player was available, which I believe was the case.

OEL and McDonagh are both perfect reasons to be honest, although I think both teams would move heaven and earth to match. In fact in the case of Phoenix especially if they got a new owner they could be angry enough to offer sheet Nyquist and Smith in response. We are about to have a ton of young talent, careful who you make enemies with on the RFA sheets with that coming up the pipeline.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
OEL signing might make Yandle available however. I have a soft spot for Yandle. He's young, he's reasonably paid, we'll be out of the West.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($7.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.750m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Brendan Smith ($2.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Kent Huskins ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

Traded: Johan Franzen
Traded: Kyle Quincey
Traded: Jonas Gustavsson
Traded: Justin Abdelkader

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,020,000; BONUSES: $355,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $435,000

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce