Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
What I think will go down for our offseason

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Marek Zidlicky ($3.750m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($3.750m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,551,212; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,408,788

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
No one mentioning Dekeyser? I graduated from WMU last year, but my last year there I lived in the same apartment complex as him right behind Lawson arena, and he had a custom-made Red Wings jersey with his name on the back hanging outside of his window.

I still think we are as close to a lock for him as there is.

He has a red jersey hung from his house this year that is red, but its his minor hockey jersey.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Where's this link that says Kenny didn't go after him? We can only assume that he either did or didn't send Semin an offer but either way we would be arguing about speculation, which doesn't make sense.

I'll try and dig up the link but KH said something along the lines of that he gave his agent one phone call but they never seriously pursued him, or something like that.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($3.750m)
------

Man, it SO frustrating to be a fan and have to see this lineup as being far more likely than one involving a top 6 scoring winger (preferably with size and/or grit) and a top 4 D to help on the blueline acquired via trades or UFA.

KH would definitely be selling Bert and Sammy as "almost new" acquisitions coming off of their injury plagued 2013 seasons (b/c we know older players become healthier as the years go by, not more injury-prone). And 4-5 years ago, Zidlicky could have helped the top 4, but now he's a stopgap at best.

Here's hoping we're wrong on this!! :crossfing

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Bertuzzi's career is in jeopardy, I'd try to sign Dustin Penner at summer. Huge body and absolutely perfect help for us with his big and strong body.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Well Getzlaf just got paid guys, 8.25M for the next 8 years. With that in mind is there any chance we would be able to fir Perry in under our cap next year? Bert gets moved to LTIR frees up 1.8M, buying out Sammy frees up another 3M. I'm sure we could do it but it will be a tight squeeze.

Also what does this mean for Brunner if he keeps on producing. We could be looking at 3-4.5M instead of the 2-3M like we originally hoped for.

And looking ahead to the 2014 offseason does this mean Malkn will be the first player over a 10M cap hit?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
There's a 0% chance we get/or go after Corey Perry. Look at the re-signings we have to do. There won't be much $$$ laying around after that, maybe a few mil.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well Getzlaf just got paid guys, 8.25M for the next 8 years. With that in mind is there any chance we would be able to fir Perry in under our cap next year? Bert gets moved to LTIR frees up 1.8M, buying out Sammy frees up another 3M. I'm sure we could do it but it will be a tight squeeze.

Also what does this mean for Brunner if he keeps on producing. We could be looking at 3-4.5M instead of the 2-3M like we originally hoped for.

And looking ahead to the 2014 offseason does this mean Malkn will be the first player over a 10M cap hit?

It all depends on how many bad contracts we can lop off the salary cap.

Bert $2m
Sammy $3m
Quincey $3.75m
Mule $4m

That's would be nearly $13m coming off the books. There are only so many amnesty buy outs so it'd be ideal if we could get someone to take that Quincey contract off our hands. Bert could be LTIR'd. Then you use the amnesty buy outs on Sammy and Mule.

Fil and Howie get new deals that will take a few million out of the available cap space. Andersson gets a new deal as an RFA this summer so he'll be above $1m. Brunner will get a new deal and he'll get at least Sammy money IMO.

We can potentially have a decent amount of cap space if the low value contracts above can be expunged and if Holland believes the youth infusion will keep us competitive. Andersson is cheaper than Bert, Brunner replaces Sammy at a similar cap hit, Lashoff and possibly DeKeyser replace Quincey while costing a fraction of Q's salary, Sheahan could potentially replace Cleary on a much cheaper contract, etc.

What it would probably require is for the DRW to replace Mule with a player like Perry. I'm not saying it's gonna happen - far from it - but I do think this is how it needs to be done in the unlikely scenario where Perry decides he wants to play for Detroit.

CloneHakanPlease*

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($3.750m)
------

Not hating since this is probably more realistic, but holy **** that roster may have just given me cancer.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If Holland wasn't running the team they may have had a shot at Perry. I'm already accepting defeat, makes it a lot easier than getting my hopes up e.g. Parise, Suter

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Holland wasn't running the team they may have had a shot at Perry. I'm already accepting defeat, makes it a lot easier than getting my hopes up e.g. Parise, Suter

I want Perry for sure, but do you want Perry at 7 years 9m + cap hit?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I want Perry for sure, but do you want Perry at 7 years 9m + cap hit?
If it means we get to see Datsyuk play for 3-5 more years, yes. This team would be bad without him.

Fab broke it down on what needs to happen and nobody here can honestly say Holland is willing to do that. So it doesn't matter.

crashman

You guys really want Corey Perry on this team? I understand wanting to get better, but Perry? :shakehead

The only player Datsyuk has ever fought? The jackass that told Datsyuk and Sammy that "they're gonna get it".

He's a tool that's going to demand top dollar.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What it would probably require is for the DRW to replace Mule with a player like Perry. I'm not saying it's gonna happen - far from it - but I do think this is how it needs to be done in the unlikely scenario where Perry decides he wants to play for Detroit.

I think this is lunacy. We have re-signings to do. But we also have $24M in cap space. Look at the teams with more cap space than us, all but one or two are budget teams. Detroit is in the driver's seat to go after a free agent compared to most of big guns.

It's all about priorities.

Aug 6, 2012
You guys really want Corey Perry on this team? I understand wanting to get better, but Perry? :shakehead

The only player Datsyuk has ever fought? The jackass that told Datsyuk and Sammy that "they're gonna get it".

He's a good tool who is perfect alongside Datsyuk.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Remember that guy named Chris Chelios? You know, that guy that said he hated Detroit and would never play for them? That guy the Wings fans despised?

Yea, he was pretty good in a winged wheel

CloneHakanPlease*

I think this is lunacy. We have re-signings to do. But we also have $24M in cap space. Look at the teams with more cap space than us, all but one or two are budget teams. Detroit is in the driver's seat to go after a free agent compared to most of big guns.

It's all about priorities.

Agreed. We also have some compliance buyouts. We can fit another big contract in, especially if we buyout one of Quincy/Sammy/don't go crazy on Flip's contract.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Getzlaf got ridiculously overpaid. That contract blows under the old CBA. Under the new one, its brutal.

young top line big skilled centres who are your captains and have wons cups get paid

every year people say the same thing and every year players get paid more and more

you either accept it and join in or stand pat and watch the parade pass you by as you settle for has beens or never will be's

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Getzlaf got ridiculously overpaid. That contract blows under the old CBA. Under the new one, its brutal.

Didn't you complain that we didn't give enough money for Parise and Suter last summer?

UFA franchise center, captain. Is going to get paid. This is the market these days,

First 8 years of Zetterberg, Parise, Suter and Kovy contracts offer more or around the same for the first 8 years. CBA prevented cap circumvention so we are left with these kind of deals. There will be many more to come.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Does the Getzlaf contract mean Filppula's price tag just went up due to his center ability, and the fact that he outproduced the 8 million dollar man last season? I am aware that Getzlaf had an off year, and now Filppula is in the midst of a rough season, but if 8.25 million is the cost of a top center, wouldn't that make a guy like Filppula 5-6?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Does the Getzlaf contract mean Filppula's price tag just went up due to his center ability, and the fact that he outproduced the 8 million dollar man last season? I am aware that Getzlaf had an off year, and now Filppula is in the midst of a rough season, but if 8.25 million is the cost of a top center, wouldn't that make a guy like Filppula 5-6?
Getzlaf has intagibles, Filppula doesn't. I don't think you can look at stats when comparing the two. Getz is an elite talent, Filppula is more of a complimentary player. You also have to keep in mind that Filppula's production drops dramatically when he plays center.

I think $3.5-$4 million for Filppula is a fair price for both sides

Edge of Sanity*

It all depends on how many bad contracts we can lop off the salary cap.

Bert $2m
Sammy $3m
Quincey $3.75m
Mule $4m

That's would be nearly $13m coming off the books. There are only so many amnesty buy outs so it'd be ideal if we could get someone to take that Quincey contract off our hands. Bert could be LTIR'd. Then you use the amnesty buy outs on Sammy and Mule.

Fil and Howie get new deals that will take a few million out of the available cap space. Andersson gets a new deal as an RFA this summer so he'll be above $1m. Brunner will get a new deal and he'll get at least Sammy money IMO.

We can potentially have a decent amount of cap space if the low value contracts above can be expunged and if Holland believes the youth infusion will keep us competitive. Andersson is cheaper than Bert, Brunner replaces Sammy at a similar cap hit, Lashoff and possibly DeKeyser replace Quincey while costing a fraction of Q's salary, Sheahan could potentially replace Cleary on a much cheaper contract, etc.

Why the **** are we buying out Franzen?

The hate this guy gets is absolutely ridiculous. You don't get 25-30 goal scorer, 55-60 point players for 4m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad