Speculation: 2013 Free Agency

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Parise is the only surprise...

Suter played in a ****** market, Semin.. I wouldn't call high end.

Semin is definitely high end. His insane hands, the speed, his skill level is through the roof. In fact, everything about Semin SCREAMS high end.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
OEL signing might make Yandle available however. I have a soft spot for Yandle. He's young, he's reasonably paid, we'll be out of the West.

Me too. I think he's another guy that could take significant pressure off Kronwall and help the PP. But he'd certainly come at a cost.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Semin is definitely high end. His insane hands, the speed, his skill level is through the roof. In fact, everything about Semin SCREAMS high end.

His work ethic and team attitude dont really scream high end to me

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($7.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.750m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Brendan Smith ($2.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Kent Huskins ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

Traded: Johan Franzen
Traded: Kyle Quincey
Traded: Jonas Gustavsson
Traded: Justin Abdelkader

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,020,000; BONUSES: $355,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $435,000

I dont like that 3rd line. Would like to see us move Flip for a bigger and more physical center if Nyquist and Tatar are the wings and we are going to be in the east. Thats a really small line and I dont like Flip at center.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Once Kenny makes all of his moves with his own talent, either re-signings or buyouts, I see the Wings have room to add 2-3 more players via free agency/trade. Patric Honrvquist, even if an RFA, is my number one target at forward. If you can't get him for this reason or that you can at least drive up the price and make Nashville sweat it out a little bit.

Defensively I don't have a top name in mind. However, Ryan Whitney, Robyn Regehr and Douglas Murray are all names to be considered. Ryan Whitney is still someone I'm interested, even with his poor play this year. Struggling on a contract year drops his value to other teams and should make him a more affordable investment.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
2.5M sounds too much for Brunner... 2M max, cap is going down remember
For a 26 year old who is on pace to score 20 plus goals and have 15 plus assists in a shortened season? Unless his production drops big time, Brunner is getting more than 2 million. 2.5 is probably a generous minimum considering what other 20 plus goal scorers around the league routinely sign for with other teams.

Colorado signed P.A. Parenteau for 4 mil/year. LA paid Dustin Penner and Jarrett Stoll both 3.25 mil/year. These are guys that are around or maybe even under Brunner's current production pace.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
No one mentioning Dekeyser? I graduated from WMU last year, but my last year there I lived in the same apartment complex as him right behind Lawson arena, and he had a custom-made Red Wings jersey with his name on the back hanging outside of his window.

I still think we are as close to a lock for him as there is.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
No one mentioning Dekeyser? I graduated from WMU last year, but my last year there I lived in the same apartment complex as him right behind Lawson arena, and he had a custom-made Red Wings jersey with his name on the back hanging outside of his window.

Would love to land Dekeyser. Him and Lashoff could compete for a spot.

CloneHakanPlease*

Once again, it's 2013 and people still believe this crap about Semin.

Get a clue.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416044

A guy with a better goals per game career than Rick Nash, one of the highest +/- in the league not just this year but over the course of the past 5 years, and who is a more than adequate PKer is not "high end".

Lifetip: Next time you try to spout off your clearly uninformed opinion to people you don't know, consider the very real possibility that the person you're trying to pass the BS on to knows a lot more about the subject than you. Semin is a hard worker, better defensively than most of the Wing's secondary "two-way" players, and has many former and currentteammates coming to his defense.

Get a clue. This myth is the hfboards equivalent of people still thinking the earth is flat.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Once again, it's 2013 and people still believe this crap about Semin.

Get a clue.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416044

A guy with a better Goals per game career than Rick Nash, one of the highest +/- in the league not just this year but over the course of the past 5 years, and who is a more than adequate PKer is not "high end".

Don't tell Kenny. Not pursuing him is one of the most frustrating things ever. Can you imagine how good he would be with Datsyuk? Probably have 10+ goal right now. And the Blackhawks just scored....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Get a clue. This myth is the hfboards equivalent of people still thinking the earth is flat.

I have always pointed the ideas on Semin are flat out wrong. But don't kid yourself this isn't an HF boards myth. This is a pretty well held belief among hockey beat writers and several front office types. I don't understand it, but lots of people believe it and several are not just hf people.

CloneHakanPlease*

I have always pointed the ideas on Semin are flat out wrong. But don't kid yourself this isn't an HF boards myth. This is a pretty well held belief among hockey beat writers and several front office types. I don't understand it, but lots of people believe it and several are not just hf people.

The people who take writers like Helen St. James and analysts like Mike Milbury seriously are the same people who probably takes politicians, the war on drugs, and Don Cherry seriously.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013

I knew this was coming.:handclap: It usually does from people who only hang out at these discussion boards, and don´t actually watch hockey games... Are you one of them? If not, what makes you believe hockey´s biggest urban legend?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
The people who take writers like Helen St. James and analysts like Mike Milbury seriously are the same people who probably takes politicians, the war on drugs, and Don Cherry seriously.

St. James, along with Ken Campbell are the biggest HACKS in the sport. How the hell she got a job writing for hockey is beyond me. I heard an interview with her 2 weeks ago on the radio and, good god, she really makes it sound like anyone in the world could do her job. Truly pathetic.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

How would you describe DeKeyser's game? Is he a defensive d-man or is there some offensive upside there? I am pretty sure he was paired up with a d-man who was drafted by the Bolts; they were a good pairing but did DeKeyser hold his own? Bronco Hockey Hotstove commented once this season that he thought DeKeyser looked a bit off, unfortunately the blog doesn't do much in the way of player evaluations so there isn't much to go off.

Both DeKeyser and his partner were minus on plus/minus but the team is obviously very good, being ranked highly and only allowing more goals than Miami in the CCHA. They actually gave up fewer goals than Notre Dame. So if you can give us a quick scouting report on DeKeyser that would be awesome.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Dude is 6-3 204lbs.

He is slightly bigger than Smith.

He adds another physical element to the blue line.

he is mobile and has a decent point shot.

I got this from a random blog, but i cant say how accurate it is. From Red Line Report. http://eyeonthesens.com/2013/01/25/senators-news-january-25th/

"He plays a simple, defence first, stay-at-home game. He's not flashy at the offensive end, but moves the puck well and gets it to the right spots by making good decisions. Efficiently gets the puck out of the zone with crisp outlets. He's physical and wins the battles down low, keeps the crease clear, and plays with a bit of a nasty edge. He's an outstanding penalty killer who blocks a ton of shots."

This is the exact type of player the Wings blue line badly needs.

The kid is 23 years old. He literally turned 23 today. Adding that kind of youth and (potential) skill to the blue line would be a dream come true.

Andy Murray is the Broncos head coach and this is what he said about him. http://thehockeywriters.com/danny-dekeyser-the-top-ncaa-free-agent-available/

“He’s a really smart player. He’s a great leader, has a great stick, plays with some physical bite and makes good decisions with the puck. My feeling is, from my experience in the league, that he’s certainly capable of being an NHLer. When that happens, I’m not sure, but he’s capable.”

He will clearly get the minutes he deserves since he is a missing element on the Detroit blue line. There should be no reason why the Wings cant grab this guy. They have everything he wants.

Last edited:

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
How would you describe DeKeyser's game? Is he a defensive d-man or is there some offensive upside there? I am pretty sure he was paired up with a d-man who was drafted by the Bolts; they were a good pairing but did DeKeyser hold his own? Bronco Hockey Hotstove commented once this season that he thought DeKeyser looked a bit off, unfortunately the blog doesn't do much in the way of player evaluations so there isn't much to go off.

Both DeKeyser and his partner were minus on plus/minus but the team is obviously very good, being ranked highly and only allowing more goals than Miami in the CCHA. They actually gave up fewer goals than Notre Dame. So if you can give us a quick scouting report on DeKeyser that would be awesome.

Per HF's article on college UFA's:

Dan DeKeyser, D
Junior, Western Michigan University

Dan DeKeyser was the most coveted available collegiate free agent last season and that hasn’t changed this season. Among the teams heavily pursuing him are the Calgary Flames, the Detroit Red Wings and the Tampa Bay Lightning. DeKeyser opted to return to Western Michigan this season in large part due to the impending (and eventual) NHL lockout. His return has greatly benefited not only his Broncos team but his overall development, as well. To date, DeKeyser has played in 33 games, posting 15 points (two goals, 13 assists). He logs nearly 30 minutes of ice time per game playing alongside senior Luke Witkowski (TBL) as part of one of the nation’s most dominant defensive pairings.

The Clay Township, MI native has blossomed into one of college hockey’s top rearguards. And while he is a defensive defenseman, DeKeyser is by no means the stay-at-home type. He is very mobile, plays intelligently in all three zones, and can be seen jumping into plays when opportunities present themselves. At 6’3†and 198 pounds, DeKeyser has a good frame and one attribute that has had scouts clamoring to get glimpses of him is how well he uses that frame. DeKeyser uses his size, strength and tenacity quite effectively in wearing down opposing players and taking away time and space. This is particularly evident in his excellent play along the boards. DeKeyser is an agile skater with terrific feet and great balance. He moves equally well going north-south and east-west. His skating and feet also allow him to make smooth transitions and make the right plays. One attribute that sets DeKeyser apart from many other collegiate defensemen is his ability to control the tempo of the game. He sees the ice really well and possesses great hockey sense. His decision-making has continually improved with quicker and smarter reads and reactions. DeKeyser possesses a powerful shot and can get shots to the net. He has great hands and moves the puck exceedingly well, too.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/86005/laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Don't tell Kenny. Not pursuing him is one of the most frustrating things ever. Can you imagine how good he would be with Datsyuk? Probably have 10+ goal right now. And the Blackhawks just scored....

Where's this link that says Kenny didn't go after him? We can only assume that he either did or didn't send Semin an offer but either way we would be arguing about speculation, which doesn't make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad