Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You mean you're not happy that back in '07 we got the safe 2 way center (Kytnar) instead of the big slow plug (Benn)?

Well, could you resist the urge to draft a player whose name sounds nothing like its spelt?

KLo - "What about this Kite-nerd kid I'm hearing about Stu? I hear his offensive upside is Horcoff level."

Stu - "It's actually pronounced Kitsnash, Kevin."

KLo - "You're ****tin me."

Stu - "No Kevin."

KLo - "I still don't believe it. I want to hear it from him. Lets draft him. Gary, we're ready. We want the Kite-nerd kid."

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Would be kind of cool if they both developed into everyday NHLers (much more of a stretch for John). I could see it having a small impact in that they obviously liked something about John's character if they used a 6th rder on an NCAA guy 2 years past his draft eligibility. Just hope Mike is still there at 37.

Eberle-Yakupov-M.McCarron-J.McCarron on the right side....who knows? John and Moroz as your 4th line wingers would cause some havoc for sure though.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What? From 5 years of drafts I looked at the only two were Dwight King and Troy Brouwer... 2 out of 400 is 0.5%. You cherry picked one example, I looked at a sample of 400. I don't like soft, skill guys either, I also happen to think they are bad picks, I didn't like Reider and Martindale from the time they were drafted - they were also amongst the least successful picks. Just because you like to fall into archetypes and constructions of what makes a draft pick successful doesn't mean I do. Just because I don't like bruisers doesn't mean I automatically like small, skilled guys.

Marcus Foligno is also a player that can skate like the wind and an energy guy first he creates havoc on the forecheck and is generally all over the ice before being a "power forward" like Hill or McCarron. Those guys don't play with a ton of energy and aren't extremely fast. I like players that fit the mold of Brad Marchand, Cal Clutterbuck, Darren Helm, Derek Dorsett, Tyler Kennedy and Ryan Callahan if I'm picking after round 2. Those are "statistically" the best bang for your buck type of pick. None of those guys are over 6 feet - they play with a ton of energy, have skill and compete levels off the charts. Those are the types of players I like to draft in the later rounds.

So Pitlick and Hamilton?

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
So Pitlick and Hamilton?
My thoughts exactly.

As a sidebar, how sick would it be to leave the draft with both Lazar/Morrissey and Monahan/Lindholm? I think those four players all address serious needs on this club and getting two of the four would be a huge coup for the organization.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Really hope MacT can trade up to 4 and grab Barkov. He would be a great addition to the pipeline, if he isn't on the team next year he would the year after and ready to step into 2C position IMO.

Would it be enough, the two 2nd's and 7 for 4? I think even though historically, this would be considered too much, I think you have to take a leap of faith on this guy and bring him to camp, see what happens.

My personal opinion is that Barkov seems like the surest thing in the top 5, the most ready to compete with men without a significant learning stage, and the one that wont have to be sheltered as much as the others. The other players in the top 5 have this huge ceiling and potential that we are all well aware of, while with Barkov you can simply see the impact he will have on both sides of the puck against men. If you move up to 4th you might not even get Barkov. If you can get Barkov guaranteed, I would not hesitate moving my 7th+2 2nds and maybe a prospect who isnt in our plans depth wise.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
My personal opinion is that Barkov seems like the surest thing in the top 5, the most ready to compete with men without a significant learning stage, and the one that wont have to be sheltered as much as the others. The other players in the top 5 have this huge ceiling and potential that we are all well aware of, while with Barkov you can simply see the impact he will have on both sides of the puck against men. If you move up to 4th you might not even get Barkov. If you can get Barkov guaranteed, I would not hesitate moving my 7th+2 2nds and maybe a prospect who isnt in our plans depth wise.

I agree with you here. Barkov was also facing men on the face off dot and winning at a solid clip 53% or something like that much improved from his year before. He has the nhl ready size, could still use a few more pounds of muscle. He has a great two way game and has produced offence at a high level. I don't think there is nothing to not like with him.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Lazar was on CHED. Interviewed with the Oilers today. Said it was his best of the five as he felt most relaxed knowing the brass. I wont be surprised if we choose him at 7.

I would be very surprised. MacT stated they are drafting a centre and gave names. Lazar absent. if they arent available at 7 they draft up or trade pick. MacT closed the book.

If we draft off the books again i am going to **** on the front entrance of the Oilers office.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Well, could you resist the urge to draft a player whose name sounds nothing like its spelt?

KLo - "What about this Kite-nerd kid I'm hearing about Stu? I hear his offensive upside is Horcoff level."

Stu - "It's actually pronounced Kitsnash, Kevin."

KLo - "You're ****tin me."

Stu - "No Kevin."

KLo - "I still don't believe it. I want to hear it from him. Lets draft him. Gary, we're ready. We want the Kite-nerd kid."

To be fair to Lowe in this case, it's pronounced "kit-nar", not "nash".

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
The questions about Domi are?
I'm just going by what I heard on the radio as I've only seen each play three times or so..Domi is flashy, a whole lot of dash but not much cash..it was also said that he isnt much of a team guy whereas Horvat is team first, hard nosed battler all the way...but who knows, maybe Horvat turns into Pouliot who was also considered a team first guy (maybe still is but is only short on talent) and Domi becomes the next Parise..
I take Horvat and Lazar before Domi though, small skilled players can be extremely deceiving..hope he proves me wrong, his dad was an awesome player with underrated offensive instincts and blazing speed.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I would be very surprised. MacT stated they are drafting a centre and gave names. Lazar absent. if they arent available at 7 they draft up or trade pick. MacT closed the book.

If we draft off the books again i am going to **** on the front entrance of the Oilers office.

I find it hard to believe MacT would be willing or stupid enough to show all his cards on a radio show in late may. I'm sure he is playing some smoke and mirrors. While I don't see them taking Lazar I could see them targeting Lindholm. If they do take Lazar at seven I think there will be a ****icane at the Oilers front office.

The Perfect Human*

I wouldn't mind the Oilers trading down to grab Lazar if both Lindholm/Monahan are off the board.

At that point it's drafting for "need" - and what I'm hoping is the price for moving down would be something sublime. Top-6 winger, etc.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think some people have this fantasy that if the Oilers trade down they are going to get some dream return like a Lucic type power forward to add size/grit to the top 6 + being able to pick up a Horvat/Lazar type prospect at their new spot (possibly somewhere in the 15-25 range). Best of both worlds so to speak.

Much more likely that a trade-down type scenario gets you a player along the lines of a Raffi Torres type AND theres a good chance the Horvat/Lazar types are gone as well at that later spot so they are then left with "3rd tier" type picks.

I think a trade down scenario just opens up the door to mediocrity and raises the chance that we all look back and say shoulda/coulda/woulda about keeping that pick at #7.

I agree with the sentiment to go big (trade up)... or just do the obvious and pick the BPA on the board at #7. Trading down is a chumps game. Leave that for the Lames and other teams too smart for their own good.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
In this draft there seems to be 7 top end prospects

Mackinnon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Nichushkin
Lindholm
Monahan

Oilers have a realistic shot at the bolded guys, not picking one of them will be a mistake.

This x 1000

"Worst" case we're "stuck" with Nichushkin the winger, but despite the position he plays he would proficiently address our need for size in the top 6.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
So Pitlick and Hamilton?

I said specifically after the 2nd round... those are both 2nd rounders. I also stated that an average pick after round 2 has a 10% chance of working out. So obviously, you aren't going to hit even close to every draft pick. But if I target characteristics that raise my probability to 20% and you choose your characteristics to lower your probability to 1%... I think I'm going to like my odds of finding more NHL players than you over the course of 20 picks. Drafting a coke machine in the later rounds of the draft is probably one of the best ways to waste a draft pick - which was my original point.

When the best drafters in the league wish they could have a 30% success rate (including 1/2 rounders), cherry-picking random (and that's what it is) successful and unsuccessful draft picks to prove your point is sort of weird to me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure if you are really meaning to say that a pair of 2nd round picks would be enough to get a top 5 overall pick, but that's the way it comes across. I think it's fair to say that this would fall far short of what would be required. If you are talking about #7 overall + a pair of 2nd round picks for #5 overall, then I tend to agree - it would probably be an overpay, but might be worthwhile in order to get your fabled 2C. But the comparison would then be a pair of 2nd round picks + a 2C-/3C (say Horvat or Lazar) vs. Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan.

It meant that we have the 7th overall in our back pocket already so all that we'd really be giving up is a pair of 2nds to give us the best possible chance of landing that #2 center or 1B center. I pay the price and walk away with my 2C in tow.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
The questions about Domi are?

No doubt Domi has skill, but he also takes bad penalties and misses assignments defensively. Reminds me a bit of a Prospal, lots of skill but frustrating when he's not on/using it.
As a London Knights season ticket holder, I like Horvat way more than Domi. Also, I hope Edmonton does not take Zadarov at 7, sticking with the Knights theme. Wouldn't be terribly disappointed with Horvat though.

I want Barkov, Monohan, Lindholm in that order and would be VERY happy with any of them.

It's interesting how close Lazar and Horvat seem to be. Totally an east vs. west thing going on there. I haven't seen Lazar play, but from what I have heard he sounds like he wouldn't be terrible pick either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad