Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I hope so. Even if we don't get the next Lucic, with our cap structure going forward, we're going to need guys with cheap contracts that can step into the bottom 6 and be physical. The draft is the best way to do that.

There is merit to that strategy, but what about guys like C. Hamilton? coke machine that wont play in the NHL and has not trade value. I would rather draft the BPA even if hes smaller, then if he is doing good we can trade him for estabilshed 4th liners

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There is merit to that strategy, but what about guys like C. Hamilton? coke machine that wont play in the NHL and has not trade value. I would rather draft the BPA even if hes smaller, then if he is doing good we can trade him for estabilshed 4th liners

Meh. It's not like there's never going to be guys that don't pan out (and Hamilton still could). And the problem with trading for bottom 6ers is that they're going to have higher cap hits

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

Yup. Get the BPA, with an emphasis on skill. You can always trade a skill player tracking well for a veteran 4th liner (and probably more).

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Does anyone else think that Monahan would be the perfect center for Hall? Or would someone else be a better fit? It would be nice to have a couple duos for each line and then rotate the other guys around.

Hall-Monahan
RNH-Eberle

I wonder if Carolina would move down 2 spots if we did something like:

To Canes:
7th overall
Sam Gagner

To Oilers:
5th Overall
Jamie McBain

I really like that deal. I do think that Yakupov would be a better fit for RNH than Eberle. Putting the best shooter with the best passer. Ebs and Hall have chemistry so we can keep them together.

(Lucic type)-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Monahan-Eberle

Hartnell could be a good fit there actually.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Hamilton was in no way considered a coke machine. He was a guy who had fallen a bit in the draft because of previous injury concerns. He was a big, skilled winger who played a solid 2 way game.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Hamilton was in no way considered a coke machine. He was a guy who had fallen a bit in the draft because of previous injury concerns. He was a big, skilled winger who played a solid 2 way game.

Yeah he really fell of the map after very promising junior career . I think you may have a point about his injuries, he seemed to regress very quickly.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm hoping that we don't go off the board with our 2nd round pick this year again. This draft is too deep to pass up on someone who could have easily been a 1st rounder. I'm hoping for any of;

- Shea Theodore (likely a reach)
- Mike McCarron (brother is in our organization already, but again maybe a reach)
- Justin Bailey
- J.T Compher
- Madison Bowey
- Samuel Morin
- John Hayden

Wouldn't be surprised if Bailey is the only one of these guys left at 37. I have Bowey, Morin, Compher and McCarron going between picks 20-30. If they're there at 37 and the Oilers pass they better get it right with the player they do pick.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Does anyone else think that Monahan would be the perfect center for Hall? Or would someone else be a better fit? It would be nice to have a couple duos for each line and then rotate the other guys around.

Hall-Monahan
RNH-Eberle

I wonder if Carolina would move down 2 spots if we did something like:

To Canes:
7th overall
Sam Gagner

To Oilers:
5th Overall
Jamie McBain

I watched a lot of 'Canes games this year and McBain is not a good d-man. I don't even like Gagner and I'm obsessed with puck-movers and I would absolutely not do this trade. Fans here would turn on this guy in one second. Soft as butter in his own zone, he makes a lot of soft plays in his own zone that fans just despise. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, he has some talent and tools, but this is not the type of d-man the city of Edmonton welcome with open arms. He's like a poor man's Tom Gilbert. He is serviceable on the third pair but he will get knocked around by the fans like Potter did if he ever came here. Gives the puck away and doesn't play with authority at all, smooth skater and passer if he's not under too much pressure but that's about it for now.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if Bailey is the only one of these guys left at 37. I have Bowey, Morin, Compher and McCarron going between picks 20-30. If they're there at 37 and the Oilers pass they better get it right with the player they do pick.

Yuck, don't like Bailey's hockey sense really. Everyone is big on McCarron because they're obssessed with size and finding the next Lucic but it's just as likely he turns into JFJ. Would like to see an emphasis on 1) hockey sense 2a) skills/puck possession ability 2b) notablly consistent compete level and motor.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yuck, don't like Bailey's hockey sense really. Everyone is big on McCarron because they're obssessed with size and finding the next Lucic but it's just as likely he turns into JFJ. Would like to see an emphasis on 1) hockey sense 2a) skills/puck possession ability 2b) notablly consistent compete level and motor.

Yeah I would be disappointed if the Oilers took Bailey at 37. McCarron's been trending up on scouts' lists because of how well he played at the U-18's, not just because he's big. There are other guys I'd rather slip to the Oilers 2nd pick more than McCarron but I'd be content with him there, especially if he's jumping to London next year.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I have never seen him play, but I can tell you that Redline doesn't have many positive things to say about McCarron.

They have him ranked 79th overall and here are a few of the things they have to say about him:

"looks like he should be a player, but won't be"

"he's consistently passive along the defensive wall, refusing to give up his body to clear the zone, and we've seen numberous instances where he's cost his team goals on turnovers caused by being too soft on the puck"

"He's fake tough"

"doesn't win many puck battles against strong, physical d-men"

"Need to see more intensity and desire in his play."

They also had him listed as a finalist for their "Tin Men" trophy for players who lack heart as well as the "Alexandre Daigle" trophy for most overrated players. Here's the blurb from the former:

"Can't decide whether he wants to be a scorer (which he's not), or a tough guy (which he's definitely not).

Oct 30, 2011
I have never seen him play, but I can tell you that Redline doesn't have many positive things to say about McCarron.

They have him ranked 79th overall and here are a few of the things they have to say about him:

"looks like he should be a player, but won't be"

"he's consistently passive along the defensive wall, refusing to give up his body to clear the zone, and we've seen numberous instances where he's cost his team goals on turnovers caused by being too soft on the puck"

"He's fake tough"

"doesn't win many puck battles against strong, physical d-men"

"Need to see more intensity and desire in his play."

They also had him listed as a finalist for their "Tin Men" trophy for players who lack heart as well as the "Alexandre Daigle" trophy for most overrated players. Here's the blurb from the former:

"Can't decide whether he wants to be a scorer (which he's not), or a tough guy (which he's definitely not).

Ouch!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
2nd round pick = Tristan Jarry, you all know that's going to be the pick.

I completely expect MacT to trade down to grab Lazar, then pick up Jarry with the Oilers 2nd rounder.

Next year the Oilers should consider saving some money and only scout the Oil Kings.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
At 56 I'd be happy with Jarry, but at 37 it's the Oil King bias kicking in again.

I think it's pretty subjective when trying to assess who is bpa between players and goalies, especially after the first round

I just mean if its obvious. Like if Bowey is somehow sitting there, but we've decided we have to take Jarry because he's an Oil King

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
I completely expect MacT to trade down to grab Lazar, then pick up Jarry with the Oilers 2nd rounder.

Next year the Oilers should consider saving some money and only scout the Oil Kings.

Pretty ridiculous statement when the Oil have drafted a whole whopping 2 Oil kings in the last 6 years.
Not sure when the Kings were reinvented, but checked back 6 years.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Whats wrong with selecting players that are being produced by one of the best junior teams? These guys are turning pro with a winning mentality. I know that we have a lot of prospects playing for them but most were added to the team after we drafted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad