Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Human*

Not sure if you are really meaning to say that a pair of 2nd round picks would be enough to get a top 5 overall pick, but that's the way it comes across. I think it's fair to say that this would fall far short of what would be required. If you are talking about #7 overall + a pair of 2nd round picks for #5 overall, then I tend to agree - it would probably be an overpay, but might be worthwhile in order to get your fabled 2C. But the comparison would then be a pair of 2nd round picks + a 2C-/3C (say Horvat or Lazar) vs. Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan.

If Barkov falls to 5 I'd happily offer up 7+ two 2nd's.

It all matters how much you value the asset. I don't know if i lose two 2nd's in a deep draft to upgrade from a Nichushkin/Nurse to a Lindholm/Monahan. I'd do it for Barkov, and I'd happily move one of the 2nd's for a shot at Lindholm/Monahan.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
I would love to get Barkov, and would pay 7th pick plus both 2nds if that was the cost. But lets be honest here, he projects as an elite 1C. So when we are saying we "need a 2C with size", we are definitely overshooting here.

If we could land Barkov, we are basically looking at two 1st lines with elite potential.

Hall - Barkov - Eberle
xxx - Nuge - Yakupov

Maybe Paajarvi = the xxx in a few years, but either way that is a pretty rediculous group of young players.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I wouldn't pay our 7th pick and 2 2nds for Barkov when/if we could settle for Monohan/Lindholm

Barkov isn't worth that much....IMO

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
I agree with the above posted lines. Just need one minor adjustment.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
PRV-Barkov/Monahan-Yakupov

I gotta question for all of you. Say Oilers draft either one of Barkov or Monahan, whom is better suited to play with Yak?

Hall-Barkov/Monahan-Ebs
PRV-Nuge-Yak

or the other way around

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
I agree with the above posted lines. Just need one minor adjustment.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
PRV-Barkov/Monahan-Yakupov

I gotta question for all of you. Say Oilers draft either one of Barkov or Monahan, whom is better suited to play with Yak?

Hall-Barkov/Monahan-Ebs
PRV-Nuge-Yak

or the other way around

I think Barkov, he creates rebounds and chances in front of the net better than Monahan. Yakupov likes those.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't pay our 7th pick and 2 2nds for Barkov when/if we could settle for Monohan/Lindholm

Barkov isn't worth that much....IMO

I would. I think Barkov is closer to the MacKinnon group than the Monahan one. He's big, strong, goes to the front of the net, and wins puck battles against men. Oh and he has 1C offensive potential as well. 2nd rounders are long term maybes. Sure it is a deep draft, but elite players are still the toughest to find. And they are usually found in the top 5 picks.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If it took our 7th plus 2 2nds to get Barkov. Pull the trigger all day. The last thing we need is more wait and see prospects. Barkov steps in next year and is the exact player we need.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
I say go for it if the opportunity is there. 2-2nds and the 7th for Barkov is worth it IMO

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Stu on Gregors show said Barkov probably needs another year. An actual expert and somebody that has actually watched him.

So penciling him into the lineup likely isn't realistic

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Ok i totally agree with our 7th + two 2nd round picks but does it necessarily needs to be both this years. How about ANA's 2nd n Oilers 2014 2nd rounder to get Barkov or Monahan?

Also possibility we get a bottom 2nd pick for Hemmer or Omark

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Lindholm is probably the most stylistically close prospect I can think of to Giroux that I've seen since he was drafted. Their games are eerily similar. So lets just be hyperbolic for a second and say RNH turns into the Datsyuk we think he will be and then we grab a Giroux for 2C..... hard to pass that up, but facing the facts I don't think we are gonna pick Lindholm which makes me a bit sad.

Last edited:

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Lindholm is probably the most stylistically close prospect I can think of to Giroux. Their games are eerily similar. So lets just be hyperbolic for a second and say RNH turns into the Datsyuk we think he will be and then we grab a Giroux for 2C..... hard to pass that up, but facing the facts I don't think we are gonna pick Lindholm which makes me a bit sad.

Totally agree bud but Monahan is compared to Toews and one of the Staals so thats still good. If Monahan is gone yeah sure Lindholm all the way:)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Stu on Gregors show said Barkov probably needs another year. An actual expert and somebody that has actually watched him.

If by some miracle we did get him, and he did need another year, I'd hope the Oilers would try to convince him to come play in the AHL. That way he is only a phone call away if he's ready, and he can get used to the schedule and style of game.

Ok i totally agree with our 7th + two 2nd round picks but does it necessarily needs to be both this years. How about ANA's 2nd n Oilers 2014 2nd rounder to get Barkov or Monahan?

Actually, Omark might even be of interest to Nashville. He had a good year playing in Europe and could be ready to step into a top 6 role on a bigger team. They are lacking his type of pure skill.

7th + Omark + 37th for 4th?

Maybe in the future Nashville could go with an all Swede top line with Omark - Lindholm - Forsberg ;)

Lindholm is probably the most stylistically close prospect I can think of to Giroux. Their games are eerily similar. So lets just be hyperbolic for a second and say RNH turns into the Datsyuk we think he will be and then we grab a Giroux for 2C..... hard to pass that up, but facing the facts I don't think we are gonna pick Lindholm which makes me a bit sad.

If we can't get Barkov, I'm hoping for Lindholm now. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Monahan but Lindholm could be a 1B center for the Oilers.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

Doesn't he still have to do his mandatory military service?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Totally agree bud but Monahan is compared to Toews and one of the Staals so thats still good. If Monahan is gone yeah sure Lindholm all the way:)

I'm definitely not bummed on Monahan at all I think he is a monster on D and actually has better playmaking than either Staal centre. It's just that they don't seem to be even be considering Lindholm which makes me a bit discouraged. Either way Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse I'm fine with any of them, great year for prospects. In other years these would all be top 3 picks. If Nurse was Gudbranson's age I could have seen him getting picked 3rd by Florida that year, Lindholm/Monahan could have been picked over Huberdeau/Murray and on-and-on.

The other thing I love about Lindholm is he is right-handed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I dont buy what most scouts say on public broadcasts leading up to the draft. Most of what they say is word play and trying to play games with other scouts (Murray vs Yakupov) Maybe hes saying that so Barkov drops. Either way Barkov is a legit A+ top prospect. He will have a similar impact as Yakupov does.

Both Monahan and Lindholm are very good prospects but each have question marks. And I bet my left pinky Barkov plays in the NHL next season barring any shoulder set backs (hes meant to be an Oiler) I think hes the most NHL ready prospect in the draft (size and has played with men)

I dont know how much value their is with a 2014 2nd rounder. This draft is deep and I bet scouts put more value on this one then next years. Hell id even deal Gagner + 7th + pick to move up for Barkov @ 4th. Maybe Jones even drops for whatever reason.

Also no way Omark returns a 2nd. If he does, ill personally fly to Switzerland to bring him back

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Doesn't he still have to do his mandatory military service?

I may be wrong about this, but I believe I read somewhere that they're pretty lenient with regards to athletes doing their service. Like they'll let them split it up over a couple summers so it doesn't conflict with their season.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
I dont buy what most scouts say on public broadcasts leading up to the draft. Most of what they say is word play and trying to play games with other scouts (Murray vs Yakupov) Maybe hes saying that so Barkov drops. Either way Barkov is a legit A+ top prospect. He will have a similar impact as Yakupov does.

Both Monahan and Lindholm are very good prospects but each have question marks. And I bet my left pinky Barkov plays in the NHL next season barring any shoulder set backs (hes meant to be an Oiler) I think hes the most NHL ready prospect in the draft (size and has played with men)

I dont know how much value their is with a 2014 2nd rounder. This draft is deep and I bet scouts put more value on this one then next years. Hell id even deal Gagner + 7th + pick to move up for Barkov @ 4th. Maybe Jones even drops for whatever reason.

Also no way Omark returns a 2nd. If he does, ill personally fly to Switzerland to bring him back

why not, Omark has played well everywhere he went but wasn't utilized well by the staff. I think he could easily get a 2nd/3rd rounder. Teams that could be interested are DET, he played well with Zetterberg and Brunner, and NSH - they need all the offense they can get

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Ok guys, I want your thoughts on who I'd like for the Oilers to get. So here's my mini mock draft.

1st round: Monahan
2nd roucd: a) Kujawinski - another big C that can hit and has skill
b) Comrie/Jarry
5th round: Cole Cassel
6th round: Some Defense man - look for similar picks like Marincin and Gernat
7th round: Emil Djuse

1st: Monohan - Just the obvious pick if available.

2nd: Mike McCarron - The 6'5 228 RW plays with an edge and has committed to Western Michigan which will give him 4 years to hone his raw skills into an NHL calibre 3rd liner. 35th on CSB NA skaters list.

2nd: Tristan Jarry - The kid will have the starting role on what should still be a very good Oil Kings team. Could be in contention for a spot at the WJC.

5th: Gustav Rydahl - Underwhelming offensive numbers, but that's often the case with 18yr olds playing in the SEL outside of the top end talent. Described as a good skater with solid two way play and is a shift disturber who knows how to be effective without crossing the line. The 6'3 205 C is ranked 67th on CSB Euro skaters list.

6th: Tyler Hill - The 6'6 220 LW has a scouting report that reads a bit like Dustin Penner, but consistency is an issue with most draft eligible players. The potential far outweighs the risk if this kid is still available when we pick here. 187th on CSB NA skaters list.

7th: Jordan DeKort - One of the youngest players in the draft, the 6'4 Spitfires goalie won't be 18 until Aug 8th. Much like Jarry he was a backup, unlike Jarry he played behind a god awful defensive team. Project pick, but what 7th rder isn't?

Oct 30, 2011

2nd: Mike McCarron - The 6'5 228 RW plays with an edge and has committed to Western Michigan which will give him 4 years to hone his raw skills into an NHL calibre 3rd liner. 35th on CSB NA skaters list.

2nd: Tristan Jarry - The kid will have the starting role on what should still be a very good Oil Kings team. Could be in contention for a spot at the WJC.

5th: Gustav Rydahl - Underwhelming offensive numbers, but that's often the case with 18yr olds playing in the SEL outside of the top end talent. Described as a good skater with solid two way play and is a shift disturber who knows how to be effective without crossing the line. The 6'3 205 C is ranked 67th on CSB Euro skaters list.

6th: Tyler Hill - The 6'6 220 LW has a scouting report that reads a bit like Dustin Penner, but consistency is an issue with most draft eligible players. The potential far outweighs the risk if this kid is still available when we pick here. 187th on CSB NA skaters list.

7th: Jordan DeKort - One of the youngest players in the draft, the 6'4 Spitfires goalie won't be 18 until Aug 8th. Much like Jarry he was a backup, unlike Jarry he played behind a god awful defensive team. Project pick, but what 7th rder isn't?

We've tried the "all size" strategy before. I don't think it's the best strategy.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Yuck, don't like these.. Maybe your pick in the 5th I'd buy but my draft would never go like that. I should elaborate, I'm not totally against Jarry in the 2nd I think he's really good but goalies just take FOREVER to develop, look at Quick/Howard/Crawford even... I just don't like the 2 goalies and 2 big guys strategy in general. Big guys tend to really never work out if you go past the 2nd round.

I looked into this a while back and drafting out of major junior, out of 400 WHL/OHL/QMJHL players drafted from rounds 3-9 from 2003-2008, the only two power forwards that ended up making it were Dwight King and Troy Brouwer. You're playing with minuscule odds. An average pick in that range has a 10% chance of turning into something useful, by targetting "power forwards" you're reducing your odds to less than 1%. It's a terrible strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad