Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
For 2011 I decided to go into the draft with my own top 40 list, and I think I'll do it again this year. I've got top 20 so far. I'm pretty comfortable with my top 10, but I'm not married to where I have guys in the 11-20 range. Some may move or fall out of it. I need to do more research on them. What does everyone think so far?

1. Mackinnon – C
2. Jones – D
3. Barkov – C
4. Drouin – F
5. Monahan – C
6. Lindholm – C
7. Nurse – D
8. Nichushkin – F
9. Ristolainen – D
10. Horvat – C
11. Zadorov – D
12. Lazar – C
13. Wennberg – C
14. Pulock – D
15. Domi – C
16. Shinkaruk – F
17. Morrissey – D
18. Gauthier – C
19. Rychel – C
20. Zykov - F

(I have to say... I liked the options from 11-20 on my 2011 list better. At the time, Brodin, Kelfbom, Jenner, Scheifele, McNeil, Bartschi and Armia had me excited.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I think we could easily get Monahan. Lindholm is ranked before him in a lot of people's eyes. Monahan was ranked 9th in the most recent ISS rankings, with Lindholm 7th. Central Scouting also has Lindholm as the 3rd best European and Monahan as the 5th best North American.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Ok guys, I want your thoughts on who I'd like for the Oilers to get. So here's my mini mock draft.

1st round: Monahan
2nd roucd: a) Kujawinski - another big C that can hit and has skill
b) Comrie/Jarry
5th round: Cole Cassel
6th round: Some Defense man - look for similar picks like Marincin and Gernat
7th round: Emil Djuse

I believe that if Kujawinski and Cassels can become good/decent 3rd/4th liners. Let me know what you guys think and who do you think they should pick. Am I the only one who's interested in Kujawinski with our first 2nd pick. Him and Monahan are both very good on the dot.

Side note: Dillon Hearingthon, Chris Bigras, Eric Roy and Brett Pesce are players I'd be interested in if we add another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If the oilers don't get lazar in the 1st they will take Jarry in the 2nd.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Jordan Staal also happened to go ahead of Jonathan Toews and Nicklas Backstrom, both whom are vastly superior players. Monahan has been said to be a poor man's Toews and Elias Lindholm is apparently a more defensively responsible version of Backstrom. Did you really think bringing up Jordan Staal would prove a point? Because I call that a wasted opportunity.

I'll concede to Ryan Getzlaf example, but if people knew Ryan Getzlaf was going to be as good as he was, he would've been a slam dunk top 5 pick. There's a much higher chance that Horvat/Lazar become 3rd liners than Ryan Getzlaf V2. You don't take risks like that when you could have a guy like Elias Lindholm. That being said, if we were picking 19th overall, I wouldn't mind Horvat/Lazar, but taking them at 7 is a waste of a pick.

I don't think you'll convince Pittsburg, Anaheim, or Winnipeg that they wasted picks on Pouliot, Lindholm, and Scheifele.

So if someone in 2008 wanted to take Erik Karlsson in the top 10 would of that been considered a waste of a pick also?

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
I'm not too sure that teams are looking for picks in 2015. Besides, a first round pick is too much to move up a couple spots.

Actually if I was a GM I would be looking to pickup as many 2015 1st round picks as I can, to improve my chances at landing Connor McDavid.

I mean if we end up trading down instead of getting a late first or 2nd round pick to move down I would ask for that teams 2015 1st round pick.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
As I said in the other thread, we don't need to trade another 1st to move up. IF Nash or Car is willing to move down, it shouldn't cost us more than 7 + 37

I've made similar posts for a while that the cost to move-up from 7 to 4-5 has historically been a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd added on as well. But if a team isn't interested in moving the pick, then the "going rate" is essentially meaningless, and the team looking to move up has to give them a reason to trade down. Getting the right player can be worth giving up more than what something should cost, and next year's 1st represents my max as to what I'd be willing to give up, because of what a player like Barkov could mean for this team.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
Actually if I was a GM I would be looking to pickup as many 2015 1st round picks as I can, to improve my chances at landing Connor McDavid.

I mean if we end up trading down instead of getting a late first or 2nd round pick to move down I would ask for that teams 2015 1st round pick.

I know McDavid is slightly more hyped than those in previous years but 2 years out there is always the "he's the next great one" chatter and sometimes it doesn't end up that way. Angelo Esposito, John Mcfarland, Sean Couturier, Nathan Mackinnon, etc. There is understandably hype about these kids but the assumption that every one who is granted "exceptional player" status in the CHL will become the next Gretzky/Crosby/etc. is a little overblown.

Heck we should trade for 1sts in the 2017 draft and get Tyler Benson!

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I know McDavid is slightly more hyped than those in previous years but 2 years out there is always the "he's the next great one" chatter and sometimes it doesn't end up that way. Angelo Esposito, John Mcfarland, Sean Couturier, Nathan Mackinnon, etc. There is understandably hype about these kids but the assumption that every one who is granted "exceptional player" status in the CHL will become the next Gretzky/Crosby/etc. is a little overblown.

Heck we should trade for 1sts in the 2017 draft and get Tyler Benson!

I have to say the hype around McDavid is justified. He and Dylan Strome are going to be a lot fun to watch over the next two seasons. They come to Niagara often!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Pown for Lindholm?

Yoda_Want_Do_Not.jpg

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
I have to say the hype around McDavid is justified. He and Dylan Strome are going to be a lot fun to watch over the next two seasons. They come to Niagara often!

Oh for sure, I'm not saying the hype is unjustified for McDavid just that it seems like every year there are people promoting the stockpiling of picks for a draft 2 years away.

Just did some reading from a 2005 article that had Angelo Esposito as a consensus #1 franchise player for the 2007 draft.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've made similar posts for a while that the cost to move-up from 7 to 4-5 has historically been a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd added on as well. But if a team isn't interested in moving the pick, then the "going rate" is essentially meaningless, and the team looking to move up has to give them a reason to trade down. Getting the right player can be worth giving up more than what something should cost, and next year's 1st represents my max as to what I'd be willing to give up, because of what a player like Barkov could mean for this team.

The way that I look at it is that even if we trade both of our 2nd round picks to get Barkov or Monahan, etc. we are simply moving a pair of 2nd round picks to get a likely 2C with size. When was the last time that a player like that was dealt for a pair of 2nd round picks let alone 1? This is why I'd happily overpay a bit if that is what is required. Because trying to acquire the established version of these players costs a hell of a lot more than that. MacT really should be pursuing a trade to land us that fabled 2C with size and defensive awareness and if Carolina really is looking for a D with their pick then there really is no reason why he shouldn't be able to pull it off.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Ok guys, I want your thoughts on who I'd like for the Oilers to get. So here's my mini mock draft.

1st round: Monahan
2nd roucd: a) Kujawinski - another big C that can hit and has skill
b) Comrie/Jarry
5th round: Cole Cassel
6th round: Some Defense man - look for similar picks like Marincin and Gernat
7th round: Emil Djuse

I believe that if Kujawinski and Cassels can become good/decent 3rd/4th liners. Let me know what you guys think and who do you think they should pick. Am I the only one who's interested in Kujawinski with our first 2nd pick. Him and Monahan are both very good on the dot.

Side note: Dillon Hearingthon, Chris Bigras, Eric Roy and Brett Pesce are players I'd be interested in if we add another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Really hope MacT can trade up to 4 and grab Barkov. He would be a great addition to the pipeline, if he isn't on the team next year he would the year after and ready to step into 2C position IMO.

Would it be enough, the two 2nd's and 7 for 4? I think even though historically, this would be considered too much, I think you have to take a leap of faith on this guy and bring him to camp, see what happens.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Really hope MacT can trade up to 4 and grab Barkov. He would be a great addition to the pipeline, if he isn't on the team next year he would the year after and ready to step into 2C position IMO.

Would it be enough, the two 2nd's and 7 for 4? I think even though historically, this would be considered too much, I think you have to take a leap of faith on this guy and bring him to camp, see what happens.

With how good Nashville is at finding guys in the 2nd/3rd (Klein, Weber, Franson, Spaling, Josi, etc), I think it just might

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I look at the situation as three reasonable scenarios.

1.) Trading a 2nd round pick and the 7th to move to 4th to draft Barkov
2.) Drafting Monohan at #7
3.) trading 7th overall plus something else for a young impact defence man

Anything else and I am not going to be excited about it. I honestly think the worse thing they can do right now is draft a defence man 7th overall (ie..Nurse)

By the time Nurse is NHL ready and able to play top 4 minutes (if ever) the Oilers would have already had to improve their blue line other wise they will remain in the basement for the next few years.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
The way that I look at it is that even if we trade both of our 2nd round picks to get Barkov or Monahan, etc. we are simply moving a pair of 2nd round picks to get a likely 2C with size. When was the last time that a player like that was dealt for a pair of 2nd round picks let alone 1? This is why I'd happily overpay a bit if that is what is required. Because trying to acquire the established version of these players costs a hell of a lot more than that. MacT really should be pursuing a trade to land us that fabled 2C with size and defensive awareness and if Carolina really is looking for a D with their pick then there really is no reason why he shouldn't be able to pull it off.

Not sure if you are really meaning to say that a pair of 2nd round picks would be enough to get a top 5 overall pick, but that's the way it comes across. I think it's fair to say that this would fall far short of what would be required. If you are talking about #7 overall + a pair of 2nd round picks for #5 overall, then I tend to agree - it would probably be an overpay, but might be worthwhile in order to get your fabled 2C. But the comparison would then be a pair of 2nd round picks + a 2C-/3C (say Horvat or Lazar) vs. Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad