Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Lindholm Syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Lazar was on CHED. Interviewed with the Oilers today. Said it was his best of the five as he felt most relaxed knowing the brass. I wont be surprised if we choose him at 7.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Everyone always wants to move up in the draft and get one of the highly rated top end guys but rarely is a team willing to pass up on a sure thing. I'm thinking this year with a supposedly deep draft might be the time to move down. Think somebody like Columbus might give up two of their 1st round picks to move up to #7?

We might be better off with two decent guys out of the first round rather than one top end guy.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Lazar was on CHED. Interviewed with the Oilers today. Said it was his best of the five as he felt most relaxed knowing the brass. I wont be surprised if we choose him at 7.

Why would we draft Lazar with the 7th overall pick,when every list pretty much has him between 12th-25th?

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
1st: Monohan - Just the obvious pick if available.

2nd: Mike McCarron - The 6'5 228 RW plays with an edge and has committed to Western Michigan which will give him 4 years to hone his raw skills into an NHL calibre 3rd liner. 35th on CSB NA skaters list.

2nd: Tristan Jarry - The kid will have the starting role on what should still be a very good Oil Kings team. Could be in contention for a spot at the WJC.

5th: Gustav Rydahl - Underwhelming offensive numbers, but that's often the case with 18yr olds playing in the SEL outside of the top end talent. Described as a good skater with solid two way play and is a shift disturber who knows how to be effective without crossing the line. The 6'3 205 C is ranked 67th on CSB Euro skaters list.

6th: Tyler Hill - The 6'6 220 LW has a scouting report that reads a bit like Dustin Penner, but consistency is an issue with most draft eligible players. The potential far outweighs the risk if this kid is still available when we pick here. 187th on CSB NA skaters list.

7th: Jordan DeKort - One of the youngest players in the draft, the 6'4 Spitfires goalie won't be 18 until Aug 8th. Much like Jarry he was a backup, unlike Jarry he played behind a god awful defensive team. Project pick, but what 7th rder isn't?

Still no love for Kujawinski

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Why would we draft Lazar with the 7th overall pick,when every list pretty much has him between 12th-25th?

Probably because the Oilers would have him rated higher than the consensus rankings have him.. It's not like it would be the first time a team had a prospect ranked higher then the consensus rankings out there

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
1st: Monohan - Just the obvious pick if available.

2nd: Mike McCarron - The 6'5 228 RW plays with an edge and has committed to Western Michigan which will give him 4 years to hone his raw skills into an NHL calibre 3rd liner. 35th on CSB NA skaters list.

2nd: Tristan Jarry - The kid will have the starting role on what should still be a very good Oil Kings team. Could be in contention for a spot at the WJC.

I love those first three picks. Not only does it address the lack of size but those two guys are arguably the BPAs with those respective picks. McCarron is a guy that I would be super excited about it we pick him up. He's a great compliment to small players.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

With the Memorial Cup in London and London owning his rights, I think there's a pretty good chance he foregoes the NCAA route and joins the Knights.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Lazar was interviewed in case we can trade our two 2nd round picks for a mid-late first rounder.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
In this draft there seems to be 7 top end prospects

Mackinnon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
Nichushkin
Lindholm
Monahan

Oilers have a realistic shot at the bolded guys, not picking one of them will be a mistake.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I love those first three picks. Not only does it address the lack of size but those two guys are arguably the BPAs with those respective picks. McCarron is a guy that I would be super excited about it we pick him up. He's a great compliment to small players.

Same here. I don't think he makes it that far though

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I would put money on us moving back and taking Lazar..
He is going to have a huge season next year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I looked into this a while back and drafting out of major junior, out of 400 WHL/OHL/QMJHL players drafted from rounds 3-9 from 2003-2008, the only two power forwards that ended up making it were Dwight King and Troy Brouwer. You're playing with minuscule odds. An average pick in that range has a 10% chance of turning into something useful, by targetting "power forwards" you're reducing your odds to less than 1%. It's a terrible strategy.

So we're better off drafting a Reider or Rajala because the "percentages" suggest they have a better chance of becoming an NHL player... on another NHL team because we already have too many small skill guys. Or wait, better yet we can trade them for a guy with size taken in the same round that year. Percentages may work against you in theory, and there may be more obvious flaws to some of the bigger players in the later rounds (thus higher risk), but the reward far outweighs it. In 09 Buffalo scooped Marcus Foligno in the 4th rd, a few picks later the Ducks scoop Vatanen. Buffalo desperately needs a PMD and thus a player of Vatanen's ilk, but do you think for a second they would consider moving Foligno who may indeed be the lesser player of the two? I don't. Power forwards are as valuable as any player type in the game today and you don't acquire them in trade short of ridiculous overpayment, so who cares if we miss out on the next Linus Omark:sarcasm: because the 6'5 225 guy we took never gets a quicker first step, I'm willing to take that risk.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Even though I can't understand crap of this, still cool to see Lindholm practicing, etc.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
With the Memorial Cup in London and London owning his rights, I think there's a pretty good chance he foregoes the NCAA route and joins the Knights.

Agreed. If he had done that this season, I think there's a good chance he would be in discussion as a mid 1st. I dunno if the fact that we drafted his brother last year will have any impact on taking him, but I kind of hope so.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
As long as Nichushkin goes ahead of our pick then I'll probably be really happy with who we draft, most likely Monahan or Lindholm (assuming that the Oilers don't foolishly pass on Lindholm for someone else or trade down). But I would still be doing everything in my power to move up to draft Barkov if I was Mac-T. A 6'3 two-way centre that has the top end potential to be a 1a/1b compliment to RNH is too good to not inquire about. Regardless what history says about what it takes to move up from 7 to 4/5, I would be willing to make a bit of an overpay for Barkov.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So we're better off drafting a Reider or Rajala because the "percentages" suggest they have a better chance of becoming an NHL player... on another NHL team because we already have too many small skill guys. Or wait, better yet we can trade them for a guy with size taken in the same round that year. Percentages may work against you in theory, and there may be more obvious flaws to some of the bigger players in the later rounds (thus higher risk), but the reward far outweighs it. In 09 Buffalo scooped Marcus Foligno in the 4th rd, a few picks later the Ducks scoop Vatanen. Buffalo desperately needs a PMD and thus a player of Vatanen's ilk, but do you think for a second they would consider moving Foligno who may indeed be the lesser player of the two? I don't. Power forwards are as valuable as any player type in the game today and you don't acquire them in trade short of ridiculous overpayment, so who cares if we miss out on the next Linus Omark:sarcasm: because the 6'5 225 guy we took never gets a quicker first step, I'm willing to take that risk.

You mean you're not happy that back in '07 we got the safe 2 way center (Kytnar) instead of the big slow plug (Benn)?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Agreed. If he had done that this season, I think there's a good chance he would be in discussion as a mid 1st. I dunno if the fact that we drafted his brother last year will have any impact on taking him, but I kind of hope so.

Would be kind of cool if they both developed into everyday NHLers (much more of a stretch for John). I could see it having a small impact in that they obviously liked something about John's character if they used a 6th rder on an NCAA guy 2 years past his draft eligibility. Just hope Mike is still there at 37.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

What? From 5 years of drafts I looked at the only two were Dwight King and Troy Brouwer... 2 out of 400 is 0.5%. You cherry picked one example, I looked at a sample of 400. I don't like soft, skill guys either, I also happen to think they are bad picks, I didn't like Reider and Martindale from the time they were drafted - they were also amongst the least successful picks. Just because you like to fall into archetypes and constructions of what makes a draft pick successful doesn't mean I do. Just because I don't like bruisers doesn't mean I automatically like small, skilled guys.

Marcus Foligno is also a player that can skate like the wind and an energy guy first he creates havoc on the forecheck and is generally all over the ice before being a "power forward" like Hill or McCarron. Those guys don't play with a ton of energy and aren't extremely fast. I like players that fit the mold of Brad Marchand, Cal Clutterbuck, Darren Helm, Derek Dorsett, Tyler Kennedy and Ryan Callahan if I'm picking after round 2. Those are "statistically" the best bang for your buck type of pick. None of those guys are over 6 feet - they play with a ton of energy, have skill and compete levels off the charts. Those are the types of players I like to draft in the later rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad