2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Did I see somewhere that Center Ice is free for the first week? Hopefully I will be able to watch the first 3 games for free...The Detroit game is a given as all 48 of them are televised

free until January 31. They typically always doe a free preview for the 1st week of the season every year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Did I see somewhere that Center Ice is free for the first week? Hopefully I will be able to watch the first 3 games for free...The Detroit game is a given as all 48 of them are televised

Yes I have seen that too- although last season I couldn't get the free games down in here in Texas. Game 2 Detroit-Jackets are on national tv- NBCSports.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From Puckrakers on day 3 http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp.-day-3.html

"The Blue Jackets spent the first two days of a truncated training camp emphasizing the importance of plugging the leaks of a defense that allowed a gaudy 3.13 goals per game last season."

Food for thought:

So today they had an intra-squad scrimmage.

No one scored. Neither Bob nor Mase were challenged much.

So is the defense cured or does the offense still suck ? Half full or half empty? Inquiring minds can't wait to find out.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
From Puckrakers on day 3 http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp.-day-3.html

"The Blue Jackets spent the first two days of a truncated training camp emphasizing the importance of plugging the leaks of a defense that allowed a gaudy 3.13 goals per game last season."

Food for thought:

So today they had an intra-squad scrimmage.

No one scored. Neither Bob nor Mase were challenged much.

So is the defense cured or does the offense still suck ? Half full or half empty? Inquiring minds can't wait to find out.

Who's knows. It was only a 15 minute scrimmage, so I don't think you can read to much into it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is my opinion as well.

And I have no problem with RJ on the "top" line if we truly have such a thing. I just can't agree that he is our best scorer. RJ brings alot to the party, but goal scoring isn't his forte imo. He is a very well rounded forward.

:rolleyes: For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Here's a quick poll for folks. This is an unaltered photo of RJ Umberger:
829769.jpg

How would you describe the sweater RJ is wearing in this photo? Pick one:
a) RJ Umberger is wearing a dark blue CBJ sweater, in a photo that wasn't lit very well.
b) That is CLEARLY a black sweater RJ is wearing. Therefore there clearly must be such a thing as an all-black CBJ sweater that we have simply never seen before.

I swear, at least half this board would pick (b) and be totally sincere.
(and a sizable portion of the remainder would pick (b) just to try to get my goat, but that's not the point :) )

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
:rolleyes: For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Here's a quick poll for folks. This is an unaltered photo of RJ Umberger:
829769.jpg

How would you describe the sweater RJ is wearing in this photo? Pick one:
a) RJ Umberger is wearing a dark blue CBJ sweater, in a photo that wasn't lit very well.
b) That is CLEARLY a black sweater RJ is wearing. Therefore there clearly must be such a thing as an all-black CBJ sweater that we have simply never seen before.

I swear, at least half this board would pick (b) and be totally sincere.
(and a sizable portion of the remainder would pick (b) just to try to get my goat, but that's not the point :) )

Yep. Any and all criticisms of Umberger are just half-ass attempts to troll you.

How'd you know? :shakehead

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm guessing Mason starts vs Nashville, possibly to give Bob a little bit more time to get over the Jet lag, then give the new goalie the opening night start to showcase him. :)

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Hard to say who gets the first start. Mase might get it due to tenure. If whoever starts, wins in Nashville, look for him to keep the net at the home opener.

Paisano*

Mason hasn't played a game since last season. Bob has been playing in the K for several months. Why in the world would they want to start Mason? Bob should be the starter for at least 3-4 games if he's sharp, before they put in Mase. Mason shouldn't even be here much less be the starter, remember what Howson said " we are going in another direction in goal". Now they want to start him? Same old Jackets!

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Mason hasn't played a game since last season. Bob has been playing in the K for several months. Why in the world would they want to start Mason? Bob should be the starter for at least 3-4 games if he's sharp, before they put in Mase. Mason shouldn't even be here much less be the starter, remember what Howson said " we are going in another direction in goal". Now they want to start him? Same old Jackets!

Hope you're right. We have two warm bodied goalies. That's about as much as we know right now.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@BlueJacketsNHL: ATTENTION #CBJ FANS: Important announcement! Tomorrow's practice begins at 10:30 a.m. at @NationwideArena & is now open to the public.”

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I would really like the goalie situation in Columbus to be upgraded, however it's a pity that some people on here almost root for Mason to fail. Why the hatred? He's a kid that's done poorly at his job. You don't want to see him rebound or rise from the ashes? This is America, we're supposed to love an underdog.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I would really like the goalie situation in Columbus to be upgraded, however it's a pity that some people on here almost root for Mason to fail. Why the hatred? He's a kid that's done poorly at his job. You don't want to see him rebound or rise from the ashes? This is America, we're supposed to love an underdog.

We don't want Mason to fail. We want Bobrovsky to succeed at playing better and taking his job.

Paisano*

No one wants Mason to fail! We've been wanting him to succeed ever since his rookie year, that's three years ago! How long do we wait? I'd love to see him go balls to the wall and win the Vezina! But let's be realistic, the kids been a head case! He really needs to play some games in the minors to get back on track, not the NHL, and especially not in a whacked out schedule like we have coming up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad