2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
OK, I now have to say that I am a slight bit concerned. 4 days into camp and the intensity is dying down because players are apparently "tired." Boone Jenner gets called out for being too nice to his teammates in the hitting department and comes out to practice today and is hitting like he means it and apparently irks off a couple of vets.

I'm getting an impression that there are a large number of people on this team that still have an Allen Iverson approach to practice and are starting to dog it. Is anyone stepping up to be a leader right now?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp-day-4.html

Total nonissue IMO. BTW I was there yesterday and it was not only Boone the was hitting. About five minutes into the scrimmage after some less then intense play they called a time out and from then on they played the final 15 minutes at full game speed with some real good hits including one that caused the penalty box to fall apart.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Barring injury, this is a good thing. Jenner will have a career of pissing players off and 99.99% of the pl;ayers he will piss off will be wearing opposing colors. Not only will this give his teammates a little scowl on their face, it will get them ready for Saturday night.

Paisano*

Barring injury, this is a good thing. Jenner will have a career of pissing players off and 99.99% of the pl;ayers he will piss off will be wearing opposing colors. Not only will this give his teammates a little scowl on their face, it will get them ready for Saturday night.

Pissing off players usually causes a fight or two, wonder if he can hold his own?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I will be suprised if Jenner doesnt stick with this team this season. The quote Richards made yesterday about he was pressing Jenner to be his self, and after yesterday, he said Jenner was more like himself, and every team needed a player like that to push the team. We will see how it plays out, but if they are pushing for this new culture, and Portie mentioned yesterday, that guys like Dubinsky, Foligno had this attitude, but to substain the style they want to play, more will have to play this way. Should be interesting.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Pissing off players usually causes a fight or two, wonder if he can hold his own?

My guess is yes. Being a rookie, I wouldn't expect him to go around challenging guys.

He isn't a lock yet, to make the team. I half believe he will get his five games and go back to Oshawa.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I will be suprised if Jenner doesnt stick with this team this season. The quote Richards made yesterday about he was pressing Jenner to be his self, and after yesterday, he said Jenner was more like himself, and every team needed a player like that to push the team. We will see how it plays out, but if they are pushing for this new culture, and Portie mentioned yesterday, that guys like Dubinsky, Foligno had this attitude, but to substain the style they want to play, more will have to play this way. Should be interesting.

Can't wait to see which guys use this as a stepping on point. The "same old Jackets" has to go far far away. The goalie situation has much to do with this, so we also need Bob and Mase to play like never before. (I almost laugh as I type the latter).

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
:rolleyes: For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Only on the CBJ boards would we call 20 goals "a heck of a lot ". :)

Before you roll your eyes again, I do understand what you are saying, RJ is as good a goal scorer as we have going into the season, based on recent history. I'm just pointing out that I wouldn't count on him leading this team in goals, and thats a good thing I hope.

Nikita Filatov

Jan 3, 2009
Columbus
Can't wait to see which guys use this as a stepping on point. The "same old Jackets" has to go far far away. The goalie situation has much to do with this, so we also need Bob and Mase to play like never before. (I almost laugh as I type the latter).

I personally think they should both return to a form that brought their former teams a lot of wins.

:sarcasm:

No but seriously, they both still have the talent to do so but consistency is the key.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Wonder how many will be removing or covering up NASH on their jerseys? A heck of a lot of em out there!

I'm not sure why anyone should be embarassed to wear the sweater of the team's one and only legitimate star, former captain, and holder of every offensive record in the CBJ book. This is not a Foote situation, where he abandoned ship in the middle of the season and would accept only one landing spot, Nash gave us nine good years of his life and felt that he wanted to move on. That a right that was fought for and won by players decades ago. I suppose some may be mad, but I can't be. Besides, I like the return he brought from the Rags.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Hi there. I am from Oshawa and have seasons to Generals games. I have watched him for the 4 years. He is a leader he hustles but plays a completely different game than you may have seen in the World Juniors. He can hit but I cannot remember seeing him drop the gloves. We would love to see him make the Blue Jackets but I think he would be better to be sent back after a look. He is developing an offensive game this year that will benefit him in the NHL. He will be in my opinion a 3rd line checking centre. If he develops some offensive skills he could be a valuable 15 to 20 goal production guy...... So as much as we want him to make it...send him back as we may go for a long run with him.....without him not so much....sorry being selfish. Enjoy Boone!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not sure why anyone should be embarassed to wear the sweater of the team's one and only legitimate star, former captain, and holder of every offensive record in the CBJ book. This is not a Foote situation, where he abandoned ship in the middle of the season and would accept only one landing spot, Nash gave us nine good years of his life and felt that he wanted to move on. That a right that was fought for and won by players decades ago. I suppose some may be mad, but I can't be. Besides, I like the return he brought from the Rags.

I agree, I don't foresee Nash getting booed here either. Its hard to hate a truly good guy like #61. I'm holding out for a win-win resolution to all of this, of course being a Rangers fan helps too.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Hi there. I am from Oshawa and have seasons to Generals games. I have watched him for the 4 years. He is a leader he hustles but plays a completely different game than you may have seen in the World Juniors. He can hit but I cannot remember seeing him drop the gloves. We would love to see him make the Blue Jackets but I think he would be better to be sent back after a look. He is developing an offensive game this year that will benefit him in the NHL. He will be in my opinion a 3rd line checking centre. If he develops some offensive skills he could be a valuable 15 to 20 goal production guy...... So as much as we want him to make it...send him back as we may go for a long run with him.....without him not so much....sorry being selfish. Enjoy Boone!

I think we'll see him up here for 4 or 5 games and then he'll go back to Oshawa. I agree he could use this year developmentally, especially with the shortened NHL season.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think we'll see him up here for 4 or 5 games and then he'll go back to Oshawa. I agree he could use this year developmentally, especially with the shortened NHL season.

plus the chance of winning the memorial cup could go a ways to helpign change the overall culture here...

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
plus the chance of winning the memorial cup could go a ways to helpign change the overall culture here...

The same could be said of Johansen last year with Portland.

If we could only hear the conversations between JD and SH on this matter.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Erixon and Jenner cut, line up is set.

“@RobMixer: Tim Erixon and Boone Jenner are the two #CBJ cuts, per Todd Richards.â€

“@RobMixer: Ryan Johansen deservedly makes the team. Very strong camp so far. #CBJâ€

“@RobMixer: Third #CBJ defense pairing should be John Moore-Adrian Aucoin. Believe Johansen will center Foligno and Prospal.â€

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

He shouldn't have signed his new contract if that is the case. I agree that he had the right to move on if he wanted to, but only if he was a FA. He wasn't.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
“@RobMixer: Tim Erixon and Boone Jenner are the two #CBJ cuts, per Todd Richards.â€

“@RobMixer: Ryan Johansen deservedly makes the team. Very strong camp so far. #CBJâ€

“@RobMixer: Third #CBJ defense pairing should be John Moore-Adrian Aucoin. Believe Johansen will center Foligno and Prospal.â€

Very interesting.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
“@RobMixer: Tim Erixon and Boone Jenner are the two #CBJ cuts, per Todd Richards.”

“@RobMixer: Ryan Johansen deservedly makes the team. Very strong camp so far. #CBJ”

“@RobMixer: Third #CBJ defense pairing should be John Moore-Adrian Aucoin. Believe Johansen will center Foligno and Prospal.”

Glad to see Johansen make the team.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Not surprised.

Jenner is redundant, and will benefit from finishing the season with his Junior team. There will be a spot made for him in the not so distant future.

Erixon will get valuable development in Springy, and will be on the short list for injury call-up duty.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

I really like reading that. I think that could be a good line for Johansen and would rather he be up, if he is centering a line like that, than Boone. I am happy that Boone is going back to Oshawa where hopefully he will continue to develop his offensive skills.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@smitchcd: #CBJ RW Cam Atkinson is "day by day" with lower body injury, coach Todd Richards said. Didn't know if he will skate with team on Friday.”

“@RobMixer: #CBJ coach Todd Richards said lone player to skate today was Cam Atkinson. No update or change in his status.”

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
“@smitchcd: #CBJ RW Cam Atkinson is "day by day" with lower body injury, coach Todd Richards said. Didn't know if he will skate with team on Friday.â€

“@RobMixer: #CBJ coach Todd Richards said lone player to skate today was Cam Atkinson. No update or change in his status.â€

If he can't go, does JAM get the call?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->