2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

bizzz*

Yes, damn him for getting in a car accident that ended his career.

He has recovered, has been playing pro hockey for 10 years after that accident and recently was traded from Ufa to CSKA . In 2007 he even played a few games for Grand Rapids.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If you're using 4 years running as your criteria, you're omitting alot of forwards..including Anisimov, Atkinson, and Brassard (only played 30 games in 08-09), and others who haven't seen consistent top 6 minutes (Dubinsky, Foligno).

Scoring by committee will likely be the M.O. for this team. I won't argue that RJ isn't a consistent B level scorer, but I wouldn't call him our best scorer.

If you prefer, I can rephrase it as "the only member of the team who's scored 25 goals or more in the NHL, ever." (He's done that or better twice - his best is 26, for the record - his first year here. He has never gone below 20 as a Blue Jacket. Dubinsky has one season - in which he DID get regular top-6 minutes - where he managed 24, and another in which he managed 20. Everyone else is in the 15-19 range.)

Facts is facts, and right now them's the facts. Whether or not that changes in the future remains to be seen. He is our best proven goal scorer. Deny it all you like. Rationalize it all you like. Try to sidestep it all you like. The facts are unchanged. The sudden irrational hatred for him (after his three-time "fan MVP" treatment) is inconsequential. He's still our best proven goal scorer. He will be on the top line. (Probably with Atkinson, who is our best likely future goal scorer.)

I have nothing against any of the other forwards here. They may outperform Umberger this year, and that would be perfectly fine. They're vital. They will score. I will love it every single time that they do. But there is absolutely zero - ZERO - justification for not having Umberger on our top line right now outside of sheer bloodyminded irrational prejudiced "but he's supposed to be a THIRD LINER!" whining.

Get over your prejudices. We're scoring by committee and right now he's the best committeeperson we have. That is an indisputable, irrefutable fact.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Yeah I'm not sure under what criteria RJ is our "best goal scorer", but I would not be shocked to see Atkinson lead the team in goals. This is going to be a great year for someone to break out.
I'm guessing the criteria is that of the players still on the team, he scored the most goals last year...not too difficult a concept

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If you prefer, I can rephrase it as "the only member of the team who's scored 25 goals or more in the NHL, ever." (He's done that or better twice - his best is 26, for the record - his first year here. He has never gone below 20 as a Blue Jacket. Dubinsky has one season - in which he DID get regular top-6 minutes - where he managed 24, and another in which he managed 20. Everyone else is in the 15-19 range.)

Did we trade Prospal or something?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Correction: Vaclav Prospal scored 30+ goals about a million years ago....;)

Okay, then I'll put in an exception for folks who are over the age of 35. :)

Doesn't really change the point, tho. Umberger may not be irreplacable or untouchable or something like that, but he's still first among equals. I have no problem with folks suggesting that he could be outperformed... but that is no justification for trying to suggest he shouldn't be on the top line.

(Now, if you're thinking something like, say, other players being better at handling the defensive responsibilities, then maybe there's a discussion to be had. :) )

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
I might argue that Prospal belongs on the first line because he has fairly consistently lead his respective team (or been in the top 3) in assists. I'm just happy to see them play....

No worries Visqi, I'm just feeling pedantic today.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I might argue that Prospal belongs on the first line because he has fairly consistently lead his respective team (or been in the top 3) in assists. I'm just happy to see them play....

No worries Visqi, I'm just feeling pedantic today.

Can Prospal play first line minutes every game and stay fresh?

bester vaive

Fear the Titan!
Nov 8, 2010
I hope Nikitin gets some PP time. He seems to have a heavy shot that should create some nice rebounds for all our muckers.

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
OK...so I moved to the Grand Rapids (MI) area from C-bus this past summer. I cant remember...are you able to watch the CBJ games online?

Also, the wings are playing their farm team (Grand Rapids Griffins) tonight which is televised. I think that would have been awesome if the Blue Jackets would have done the same thing.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Potentially.

While I agree with you, Cam has yet to sustain top line level over a complete season. And until that happens, he still remains in the potential category.

Yes, but I meant more in his ability. He is the best goal scorer. That doesn't mean he will get the most goals. Like Nash might be one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL, but he doesn't always lead the league in goals :sarcasm:.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Also, the wings are playing their farm team (Grand Rapids Griffins) tonight which is televised. I think that would have been awesome if the Blue Jackets would have done the same thing.

I read that they had looked into it, but they were not able to make it happen in the short amount of time they had to plan it.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Yes, but I meant more in his ability. He is the best goal scorer. That doesn't mean he will get the most goals. Like Nash might be one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL, but he doesn't always lead the league in goals :sarcasm:.

Agreed. Really hope he can take that ability, that potential and turn it into goals on a consistent basis. He would fill a serious void.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Atkinson is the teams best goal scorer if we are talking about this year.

This is my opinion as well.

And I have no problem with RJ on the "top" line if we truly have such a thing. I just can't agree that he is our best scorer. RJ brings alot to the party, but goal scoring isn't his forte imo. He is a very well rounded forward.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I hope Nikitin gets some PP time. He seems to have a heavy shot that should create some nice rebounds for all our muckers.

based on his performance last season, he'll see plenty of man advantage ice time. I don't know if they'll tinker with the pairings, and I have to imagine Johnson will be 1st pairing PP, which may relegate Nikitin to 2nd if they are afraid to seperate him from Tyutin.

I can't ever remember 4 CBJ defenseman with the PP ability these two pairing have. Which speaks mostly to the deficiencies we've lived with for all these years.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
OK...so I moved to the Grand Rapids (MI) area from C-bus this past summer. I cant remember...are you able to watch the CBJ games online?

You can usually find them on a feed-or you could go the Game Center Live route for $49 and be guaranteed to see them.

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
Did I see somewhere that Center Ice is free for the first week? Hopefully I will be able to watch the first 3 games for free...The Detroit game is a given as all 48 of them are televised

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad