2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Do we have any injuries that happened to players playing in another league during the lockout? Obviously Murray and is Dubinsky recovered from his broken hand? Anyone in the AHL that is hurt that could potentially make the Blue Jackets?

I wonder if anyone comes into camp out of shape. I haven't seen Mason and have no idea what he was up to but I can see him coming into camp out of shape. Not that it matters as I'm sure all would prefer Bobrovsky as the starter.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Do we have any injuries that happened to players playing in another league during the lockout? Obviously Murray and is Dubinsky recovered from his broken hand? Anyone in the AHL that is hurt that could potentially make the Blue Jackets?

I wonder if anyone comes into camp out of shape. I haven't seen Mason and have no idea what he was up to but I can see him coming into camp out of shape. Not that it matters as I'm sure all would prefer Bobrovsky as the starter.

Portzline tweeted about 20 minutes ago that J. Moore has been out 3 weeks. probably concussed.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Another thing, with potential buys outs hitting the market and with UFA players remaining on the market, any chance we sign players? I say this because would it be better to have the younger guys staying in the AHL and let them develop, rather then them being in the NHL with a limited role? Example, rather then having Johansen on the 4th line/press box, let him stay in the AHL and sign a cheap veteran to play on the 4th line instead.

Do we still offer Kovalev a tryout offer?( I say with JD running the show, I say not a chance. Just added to add conversation to the thread).

Does Jenner make the team if he has a decent showing in camp? I'm guessing he would be a 4th liner, healthy scratch so like Johansen, let him stay in the CHL and sign a UFA instead. Although I am interested to see him in the NHL.

What about Calvert? In the part 2 video with Davidson, Howson said he see's potential in him but last season, decided to send him back to the AHL and never recall him back to give him his ice time. Does he stay in the AHL? I guess it all depends on camp and how they play.

Who gets the C and the A's?
Portzline tweeted about 20 minutes ago that J. Moore has been out 3 weeks. probably concussed.
Lame

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So, does Jenner stick with the team?

I'm not as opposed to taking Jenner and keeping him on in a 4th line role as I was with Johansen, but is it wise to keep him on the roster with all the centers this team has?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So, does Jenner stick with the team?

I'm not as opposed to taking Jenner and keeping him on in a 4th line role as I was with Johansen, but is it wise to keep him on the roster with all the centers this team has?
What does everyone project Jenner's role would be with the team in the future? 1st/2nd line scorer(like he is in the CHL) or 3rd line banger with some offensive touch(like his role for Team Canada)? In my last post I said no point of having him on the 4th line but if he's projected to be a good 3rd liner, I wouldn't mind him playing on the 4th line to get some limited experience. If we want him to be a scorer, then I stand by what I said earlier and keep him in the CHL. As for the center question, well if they made Johansen play on the wing last year then why wouldn't they move Jenner to the wing?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would keep Jenner in juniors for this year. They have good team there, go for the Memorial Cup run, work on offensive skills and fight for the spot next year.

No need to rush him.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
What does everyone project Jenner's role would be with the team in the future? 1st/2nd line scorer(like he is in the CHL) or 3rd line banger with some offensive touch(like his role for Team Canada)? In my last post I said no point of having him on the 4th line but if he's projected to be a good 3rd liner, I wouldn't mind him playing on the 4th line to get some limited experience. If we want him to be a scorer, then I stand by what I said earlier and keep him in the CHL. As for the center question, well if they made Johansen play on the wing last year then why wouldn't they move Jenner to the wing?

Not directed at you in particular, but the current dogma about top 6 and bottom 6 has always bugged me. The third line has traditionally been the line that gets matched up against the other teams first line (unless the coaches try to match first with first). To me, a good third line center that you can match up with the other team's best and still chip in some goals is more important than a 2nd line center, unless you're lucky enough to have a couple centers like Crosby and Malkin that gives you virtually two #1 lines.

I think Jenner has the potential to be a very good #3 center, and I am very interested in watching his development. I foresee him being my favorite Blue Jacket very shortly.

As a comparison, I think Brassard makes for a good #2 center - someone who can create some offense, particularly when you can get that 2nd line out there against the other team's 4th. But, he's not a player you want out there matched up against the top centers in the league when the game is on the line.

Both have roles to fill, but I think good #3 centers are often undervalued due to the fact that 3 is further from "1" than 2 is.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Vinny was doing some quick sprints between the blue lines before one of my games downtown a couple weeks ago....just those basic sprints had him winded big time. Going to be interesting to see what kind of condition a lot of these guys are in, or arent in

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Vinny was doing some quick sprints between the blue lines before one of my games downtown a couple weeks ago....just those basic sprints had him winded big time. Going to be interesting to see what kind of condition a lot of these guys are in, or arent in

Obviously (?) guys who have been playing will be in game shape. Others not so sure.

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
Jenner in Juniors and Johansen in Springfield. Only callup is Atkinson. Moore when he passes concussion test.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Are there going to be pre-season games? Or is the season just going to start?

If players are out of shape, there's the potential for injuries especially groin pulls.

The AHLers and juniors like Jenner are in game-shape and relying on them in the beginning might be a good approach. Perhaps Jenner can get a couple of games in to get his feet wet then get sent back to juniors.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Jenner in Juniors and Johansen in Springfield. Only callup is Atkinson. Moore when he passes concussion test.

Couldn't agree more. No point in Johansen being up here if he's not getting top line minutes. Let him dominate for the rest of the year in Springfield then he can fight for a top spot in camp in September. I'd bring Savard up and let Erixson stay down.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

Yep

Plenty of centers on the team. Coach reports from SPR indicates Johan making good progress, keep it going.

Atkinson is a no brainer.

Moore when he's ready. Erixon/Savard as needed. Holden has played Well, but might be inclined to leave him for his leadership qualities however may need him as injuries go. Time for the system depth to prove itself.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
With Moore out with concussion, will have to bring 2 D-men up.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Please take the CBJ in a new direction Mr. Davidson. Leave guys that are tweeners in the AHL where they belong so they can develop the right way. I'm talking Johansen, Calvert and even Atkinson if it makes sense. And by no means is guys like Jenner ready for the NHL. Let him finish in Ottawa this year and come to camp next year trying to make this roster. He could use a year in Springfield as well. I know I will get flamed as always but our organization from Springfield on down is in good shape right now. Leave it where it is and start building it up to the top when players are ready, not because you are forcing them to be ready. I am tired of lather, rinse, repeat.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

"GMs wait to see rules on call ups on juniors but Boone Jenner likely to be at CBJ camp. Matt Dumba may be only u/a in MIN camp. Not set tho"

Hopefully just to get a look-I would prefer him in juniors for rest of the season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@Aportzline: As if anybody wondered ... Asked about AHL/CHL call-ups, Davidson said: "Well, Boone for sure." That would be Oshawa C Boone Jenner.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad