2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
:rolleyes: For someone for whom goal scoring "isn't his forte", he sure does seem to score a heck of a lot of them.

Here's a quick poll for folks. This is an unaltered photo of RJ Umberger:
829769.jpg

How would you describe the sweater RJ is wearing in this photo? Pick one:
a) RJ Umberger is wearing a dark blue CBJ sweater, in a photo that wasn't lit very well.
b) That is CLEARLY a black sweater RJ is wearing. Therefore there clearly must be such a thing as an all-black CBJ sweater that we have simply never seen before.

I swear, at least half this board would pick (b) and be totally sincere.
(and a sizable portion of the remainder would pick (b) just to try to get my goat, but that's not the point :) )

c) That's not RJ. That's his evil twin JR Umberger who once played for Dallas. It's hard to recognize him without the cowboy hat. :sarcasm:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
he's trying his damnedest to make this team...and he may with only bringing 25 guys to camp...only two will be going down...and I am guessing one is Yoey...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nice little writeup by the AP on the Jackets, post-Nash.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/former_springfield_falcon_tim.html

Is that a shot at Nash? :naughty:

Why not. I can't find a link to it but Nash made a comment quoted in an article I read recently that sounded to me like he failed as a leader here because he was trying to do too much and was happy to "have the weight off of his shoulders."

To me that sounds like he it a roundabout way didn't trust his teammates and tried to do it all himself, which is not conducive to the team game we are trying to play. I've felt that way all along and I firmly believe we are a better TEAM without Rick Nash.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Why not. I can't find a link to it but Nash made a comment quoted in an article I read recently that sounded to me like he failed as a leader here because he was trying to do too much and was happy to "have the weight off of his shoulders."

To me that sounds like he it a roundabout way didn't trust his teammates and tried to do it all himself, which is not conducive to the team game we are trying to play. I've felt that way all along and I firmly believe we are a better TEAM without Rick Nash.

That is a point I kept harping on last year. I think we will see a cohesiveness that has been lacking for a very long time. A team that will work together to achieve a common goal rather than a bunch of individuals out on the ice together. There was a reason why Fedorov called out Nash and Zherdev. But I think it was a mentality that both sides caused. Brassard and Voracek would defer to Nash often, hence why that line never fulfilled its potential either.

Now I think everyone on the team is thinking "we" rather than "I". A new mentality was needed, and I think they have one. Will this results in wins? I have no idea, but it is the type of team I have no problem cheering for.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
OK, I now have to say that I am a slight bit concerned. 4 days into camp and the intensity is dying down because players are apparently "tired." Boone Jenner gets called out for being too nice to his teammates in the hitting department and comes out to practice today and is hitting like he means it and apparently irks off a couple of vets.

I'm getting an impression that there are a large number of people on this team that still have an Allen Iverson approach to practice and are starting to dog it. Is anyone stepping up to be a leader right now?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp-day-4.html

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
OK, I now have to say that I am a slight bit concerned. 4 days into camp and the intensity is dying down because players are apparently "tired." Boone Jenner gets called out for being too nice to his teammates in the hitting department and comes out to practice today and is hitting like he means it and apparently irks off a couple of vets.

I'm getting an impression that there are a large number of people on this team that still have an Allen Iverson approach to practice and are starting to dog it. Is anyone stepping up to be a leader right now?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp-day-4.html

I'm just happy Boone responded. My concern is with the two vets. Just about EVERY player in the NHL, unless they've been dogging it, is tired right now.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm just happy Boone responded. My concern is with the two vets. Just about EVERY player in the NHL, unless they've been dogging it, is tired right now.

I agree with this post. The vets should expect a rookie who's supposed to be a hard checking role player to hit them at camp, and shouldn't b***h about it. And, if they're tired, then maybe they shouldn't be playing in this shortened season? That's not the attitude of a winning program.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I agree with this post. The vets should expect a rookie who's supposed to be a hard checking role player to hit them at camp, and shouldn't b***h about it. And, if they're tired, then maybe they shouldn't be playing in this shortened season? That's not the attitude of a winning program.

Yea really how sad is that. They talk about hardwork this and constant forechecking and when a rookie like Jenner finally does the vets get pissed. What kind of example does that set? ****ing sad really. Man up or get the f out.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Yea really how sad is that. They talk about hardwork this and constant forechecking and when a rookie like Jenner finally does the vets get pissed. What kind of example does that set? ****ing sad really. Man up or get the f out.

Just a couple. Non issue, IMO. We don't even really know the nature of it beyond that it pissed them off and got them going. Could be guys already nursing injuries. Who knows. If the culture is truly changed, this will get fixed in the room. This is an opportunity, not a problem.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Did anyone actually listen to the coaches show tonight? I just saw it was on from 7-8 on 97.1. I didn't realize it was starting today since my radio rarely leaves Sirius.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If they were irritated at Boone, that means hes hitting them hard. This is both good and great because its good that he listened to coach, and the players who will be here got some in game experience.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
If they were irritated at Boone, that means hes hitting them hard. This is both good and great because its good that he listened to coach, and the players who will be here got some in game experience.

Thats why I'd like to keep Boone on the team bc he does just that. He hits hard and can play a 4th line role in a pinch and it will only help his development. Johansen on the other hand doesnt play that style of game and therefore placing him on the 4th line could be detrimental. We shall see I suppose.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

This seems like a total non-issue to me. I remember in football as a younger player, wanting to come in and make a good impression. I also remember as an older player, being irritated as he'll with younger guys who were trying to make an impression. Camp is physical, and it's mentally and physically draining. If your actual roster spot is secure, it's simply not a big deal.

To be perfectly honest, if someone thinks this is a big deal or indicative of anything, I'd love to tell you the truth about NFL training camps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad