2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Based on the forward lines from the first day, it looks as if Joey is going to at least go back to Springy for awhile. Can't say I argue with that.

But does this burn a year off his contract..?

Hockeygirl2748

Based on the forward lines from the first day, it looks as if Joey is going to at least go back to Springy for awhile. Can't say I argue with that.

But does this burn a year off his contract..?

Whenever he plays, NHL or AHL it is year of his contract gone. As soon as he was sent to Springfield the contract year started. The best thing for him is to understand he needs to earn playing in the NHL. IMO, his play here in Springfield has not shown that for me. Needs to be much more consistent and learn to use his size.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Whenever he plays, NHL or AHL it is year of his contract gone. As soon as he was sent to Springfield the contract year started. The best thing for him is to understand he needs to earn playing in the NHL. IMO, his play here in Springfield has not shown that for me. Needs to be much more consistent and learn to use his size.

This is not a good sign H-girl but reading between the lines (pun intended) at camp it looks like you are right on.Hopefully he will live up to his draft status. In fairness to him, the Jackets did him no favor last season by having him stumble around Columbus.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Puck rakers re: Day One:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/01/training-camp-day-1.html

I liked this quote:

"Coming from a place like New York, where the practices are closed ... this was really different," winger Brandon Dubinsky said. "I was walking (from the dressing room to the practice rink) and the crowd kept getting louder. I was like, 'really?' It was pretty cool to hear."

There's some pretty good stuff in there! I'm delighted that we have some substance for our arguments, now, rather than the crap we have been reduced to *****ing about.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Still wondering if privately

Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon are pissed that they were traded from the Rags. I know we will give them a ton of responsibility & playing time but the Rags are legitimate contenders.

We shall see.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon are pissed that they were traded from the Rags. I know we will give them a ton of responsibility & playing time but the Rags are legitimate contenders.

We shall see.

They could always ask JJ. He has played it off pretty well. Could be pissed deep down, but that won't do any good going forward.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
because i'm tired of seeing the question asked on twitter...camp is open in ice haus at 11:15 tomorrow...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

We shall see.

No doubt I bet they were when is started, but I bet it's been behind them for a long time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not a fan of Dorsett or Umberger on the first line. That said, I'm even more convinced that we have THREE second lines. You can switch them all you want. When it comes for forwards, nobody in the top nine really stands out as better than everybody else. Not yet, anyway.

That second sentence is the most important one, and why you shall be spared. :)

Folks are making the mistake of seeing some name that they fear high up in the rotation and thinking "omfg doom". You learn a lot more by paying attention to the whole thing. I don't quite get the whole "DD with Dubi and Anisimov" thing myself, but from what I hear from camp reports it seems to actually work, and I will not begrudge that which works even if it does challenge my assumptions. (Would that the same could be said of others here...)

Also, "Coach Umberger" :D is still our current best goal-scorer. He'll be on the top line.
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

;)

* * *​
http://www.ska.ru/news/ru/7073.html

In the interview he said that there's no any particular reason, he just likes the number.

Hm. Interesting. I normally think of that number in the context of "quadruple-chai".

* * *​

Generally when my paranoid inferiority complex starts suggesting such things, I tell it to sit down and shut up. :)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah, Crosby, RJ and Ovi will lead the league in goals this season.... oh, they will land on Mars together too.... lol

RJ, no but if it's goals were talking Atkinson could be thrown there, kind of a dream more than realistic hopes.

Paisano*

Too bad he is not eligible. He played in 27 games last year for the CBJ - if he had played in less than 25 he would have still been eligible.
Ahh, didn't realize that. Ok lets go for Boone To get it! :handclap:

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
Question for anyone who has seen practice. Does Boone make the team?

I realize that it's hard to tell much of anything after just 2 days of practice, but the coaches have to make these evaluations in a short timeframe as well.

I think Boone is going to be a great one, but I don't want him here if he's not ready. With that said, I think he should be here if he is ready.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Sad that they didn't invite JAM at the camp. The little guy showed real skills with the Falcons. I hope he gets a chance later this season.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

I realize that it's hard to tell much of anything after just 2 days of practice, but the coaches have to make these evaluations in a short timeframe as well.

I think Boone is going to be a great one, but I don't want him here if he's not ready. With that said, I think he should be here if he is ready.

Haven't been to a practice, but the way Porty is seeing it is that Jenner stays, and Johan goes back to the A. His thinking is that Jenner is better built for this team, and that Johan anywhere other than a top two line is a bad fit for him and the team.

Let him develop top line skills in the A, rather than letting him languish on a bottom line in the NHL.

That is what I got from the article, anyway.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
RJ, no but if it's goals were talking Atkinson could be thrown there, kind of a dream more than realistic hopes.

Yeah I'm not sure under what criteria RJ is our "best goal scorer", but I would not be shocked to see Atkinson lead the team in goals. This is going to be a great year for someone to break out.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

Things can change over the next couple of days, but it's looking like there is a good chance he sticks for his 5 game tryout. I'm guessing it's about 50/50 right now whether he makes it past 5 games.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
Atkinson was picked by Yahoo sports to win the Calder. Maybe they see a lot of goals coming from him

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...edictions-2013-nhl-season-131458612--nhl.html

Yahoo sports also had Igor Grigorenko as a kid who could potentially score 50 goals as a rookie with the Red Wings since he could play with Dats and Z...

I love Cam and hope he does great, but anything Yahoo Sports says after that has been meaningless to me :)

I'm really pulling for Jenner to make his way onto the team. And Bob and Mason are kids I love. I am really pulling for your franchise. Good luck this year guys!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, Crosby, RJ and Ovi will lead the league in goals this season.... oh, they will land on Mars together too.... lol

Hon? You need new reading glasses. :) I didn't say he'd lead the NHL, I said "he's our best goal scorer", as in he's the one who's pretty much guaranteed to go over 20 goals in a given full-length season, which is not something any of our other forwards have done consistently.

also, where's Stamkos? ;)

* * *​
Yeah I'm not sure under what criteria RJ is our "best goal scorer", but I would not be shocked to see Atkinson lead the team in goals. This is going to be a great year for someone to break out.

The criteria of "he's the only member of the team who's consistently scored 20 or more goals for the last four years in a row".

Could Atkinson - or one of Dubinsky, or Anisimov, or even Foligno - overtake him this year? Certainly. That's not aiming high. His status as the best isn't exactly by some kind of impossible margin; it's based on consistent results rather than existing talent. But that does mean he has the most PROVEN ability to consistently score goals of anyone on the team. Whether y'all like it or not. ;)

* * *​
Atkinson was picked by Yahoo sports to win the Calder. Maybe they see a lot of goals coming from him

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...edictions-2013-nhl-season-131458612--nhl.html

I'm still not entirely sure if that was meant to be sarcastic on Lambert's part or not. :D

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The criteria of "he's the only member of the team who's consistently scored 20 or more goals for the last four years in a row".

Could Atkinson - or one of Dubinsky, or Anisimov, or even Foligno - overtake him this year? Certainly. That's not aiming high. His status as the best isn't exactly by some kind of impossible margin; it's based on consistent results rather than existing talent. But that does mean he has the most PROVEN ability to consistently score goals of anyone on the team. Whether y'all like it or not. ;)

* * *​

If you're using 4 years running as your criteria, you're omitting alot of forwards..including Anisimov, Atkinson, and Brassard (only played 30 games in 08-09), and others who haven't seen consistent top 6 minutes (Dubinsky, Foligno).

Scoring by committee will likely be the M.O. for this team. I won't argue that RJ isn't a consistent B level scorer, but I wouldn't call him our best scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad