Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I thought Maloney wanted two top six players and a draft pick for Yandle but I can't find where I read that now. But I did find this rumour from the leafs last year.

"Bill Watters: According to sources, the Maple Leafs offered the Coyotes Nazem Kadri, Matt Frattin and a 1st round pick for Keith Yandle. (You would assume this was ‘offered’ around Wednesday, but I wonder if it happened in the offseason, or at least sometime well before the trade deadline day)".

So the asking price was steep which obviously shows they would rather keep Yandle then trade him unless someone really wants to over pay.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx140105.html

The Coyotes are believed to be interested in New York Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi, though word around the League suggests the Rangers aren't willing to deal him at this point in the season, despite interest from multiple teams.

Maloney is also eyeing Florida forwards Scottie Upshall and Tomas Kopecky, both of whom the Panthers are willing to move, for the right price.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Oh boy, Maloney...

Scottie was awesome when he was here, but he's a 4 million dollar man who can't pot more than 18 goals a season.

With that said, Kopecky would be an AMAZING Halpern replacement. Girardi is a Klesla type, no flash but solid D. Wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I see it as a lateral move if we plan to keep Klesla. Murphy is already becoming a solid shutdown NHL defenseman.

RABBIT

From Spector:

FOX SPORTS ARIZONA: Craig Morgan speculates it may be time for Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney to shake up his struggling roster. He wonders if they’ll try to acquire a physical shutdown defenseman or depth at left wing. ”We’re not shy about spending some money,” co-owner George Gosbee said on New Year’s Eve. “We’re in a very, very good position to seize on some opportunities if they come up.”

SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Coyotes currently haveover $4 million in cap space, which will increase to $10million by the trade deadline.

Had no idea that we will have an extra 6 million dollars to spend at the trade deadline..

RABBIT

Oh, neat. Who wants to argue over the budget again?

Do you know if this is just the owners increasing our budget so Maloney can grab some talent if he needs to?

Okay, So we know about Brule retiring, he is good for 1.5-ish if memory serves, where is the other 4.5 million coming from?
No idea.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Oh boy, Maloney...

Scottie was awesome when he was here, but he's a 4 million dollar man who can't pot more than 18 goals a season.

With that said, Kopecky would be an AMAZING Halpern replacement. Girardi is a Klesla type, no flash but solid D. Wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I see it as a lateral move if we plan to keep Klesla. Murphy is already becoming a solid shutdown NHL defenseman.

I'd say Girardi is closer to Z than he is to Klesla. Id be for adding him if the price is right. He's on an expiring contract that pays $3.4M.

Kopecky, not so much. I'm not a Halpern fan, but Kopecky is making ~$3M this season and next. I'm much more comfortable with a lesser Halpern at $600K than that price tag for Kopecky. As for Upshall, he's making $3.5M this year and next.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Okay, So we know about Brule retiring, he is good for 1.5-ish if memory serves, where is the other 4.5 million coming from?

Nope. He was signed for only 685kay

And it sounds like the owners are simply okay with increasing the budget. They set one in the off-season but there is nothing preventing them from simply increasing it. This isn't the NHL owning us anymore. Our new owners only have to be as rigid as they choose to be.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
From Spector:
Had no idea that we will have an extra 6 million dollars to spend at the trade deadline..

Spector gets his information from capgeek.
http://www.capgeek.com/coyotes
Deadline space $10,499,925
and has nothing to do with internal budgets of each organization
"We're not shy about spending some money," co-owner George Gosbee said on New Year's Eve. "We're in a very, very good position to seize on some opportunities if they come up."
http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/story/it-might-be-time-for-shake-up-for-coyotes-010414

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Girardi is a Klesla type, no flash but solid D. Wouldn't be a bad pickup, but I see it as a lateral move if we plan to keep Klesla.
We're not planning to re-sign Klesla, are we? OEL, Yandle, Michalek, Murphy, Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad and Gormley are all under contract next year ... don't want Klesla back, not sure if it makes sense to bring Morris back.
Isn't this just the standard $2m player all season, $4m player for a half-season, $8m player at the deadline, pro-rated math? Works for the cap as well as the budget, because you pay players per day on the roster.

RABBIT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fourth period one of these sites that just makes up phony rumors? Like hockeybuzz and Eklund? I'm 95% sure that it is.

There is probably NOTHING to this. Just some nerd making stuff up.

You don't have to take my word on it, but I follow the dude who runs the site on twitter, and he has broken many trades and signings. Guys like Kypreos and Dreger have quoted their findings. The guy who runs the site always kicks it with NHL players, so if he was making stuff up I don't think he would have much rapport with pro athletes. It was also a trusted source on the main boards for the last deadline.

They were the first ones to break the Gaborik trade to Colombus. I think they're becoming more trusted. Definitely more reliable than hockey buzz

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We're not planning to re-sign Klesla, are we? OEL, Yandle, Michalek, Murphy, Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad and Gormley are all under contract next year ... don't want Klesla back, not sure if it makes sense to bring Morris back.

Klesla is as good as gone I think. Even an amazing second-half wouldn't make him a shoo-in. There is simply no room. As for Morris, he'd have to be willing to accept the same salary (~$3M) to stay. There won't be enough in the budget to offer a raise. But, he'll be 36 plus he likes Phoenix. $3M should be more than enough.

rt

May 13, 2004
Klesla is as good as gone I think. Even an amazing second-half wouldn't make him a shoo-in. There is simply no room. As for Morris, he'd have to be willing to accept the same salary (~$3M) to stay. There won't be enough in the budget to offer a raise. But, he'll be 36 plus he likes Phoenix. $3M should be more than enough.

His play has been so inconsistent the last few years. I'd hesitate to give him even that much.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
You don't have to take my word on it, but I follow the dude who runs the site on twitter, and he has broken many trades and signings. Guys like Kypreos and Dreger have quoted their findings. The guy who runs the site always kicks it with NHL players, so if he was making stuff up I don't think he would have much rapport with pro athletes. It was also a trusted source on the main boards for the last deadline.

They were the first ones to break the Gaborik trade to Colombus. I think they're becoming more trusted. Definitely more reliable than hockey buzz

I trust the fourthperiod's speculation more than Eklund. I can see Maloney talking with the Panthers, but not for those players. I can see interest in Goc and some of the other younger players. Would you trade Gormley for Bjugstad or Summers for Shore or Stone for Hayes. And the Panthers should have interest in Gord Murphy's son...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
His play has been so inconsistent the last few years. I'd hesitate to give him even that much.
Unless someone else gets traded away, I don't want Morris back for the veteran minimum. Not usually a good idea to make roster decisions based on keeping AHL'ers happy, but do we really want Brandon Gormley to be three injuries away from skating in Glendale next fall?

Capgeek says Derek Morris has made $29m in the NHL -- he can afford to keep his family in Scottsdale if he seeks an NHL paycheck in 2014-2015. We're not paying Gormley to destroy the AHL forever.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

DeMo dollars should be at $2.5 to 2.75m tops. At age 36, his peak days are behind him and no one is going to go above $3m, so take a home town discount for .5m and stay for another 3 years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

You only pay the part of the contract where the player plays for you. And that's the part that counts against the cap. So for every fewer game available in the season until the trade deadline, your theoretical cap space goes up.

DeMo dollars should be at $2.5 to 2.75m tops. At age 36, his peak days are behind him and no one is going to go above $3m, so take a home town discount for .5m and stay for another 3 years.

He is slowing down. Great early in the year, but now looking totally expendable.

rt

May 13, 2004
If we're in the market for a physical stay-at-home D who can PK and a trigger man for Ribs - maybe we should be looking at New Jersey? Ryder and Salvador? Ryder has had chemistry with Ribeiro in the past and Salvador is regularly among league leaders in SHTOI/G, while still being a pretty physical player even in his advanced years. Neither is a rental, but neither really fits into a rebuild, if that's the direction New Jersey is going.

I mean, if we've really got a bunch of cash to throw around, it might be worth a look.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
We already have so many D kicking around that GMDM can't/doesn't want to get rid of, I dont want us bringing in any more... Even if we let Klesla/Morris go after this season, we still have OEL, Z, Yandle, Murphy, plus all the rest that can fight over third pairing, even sign a plug FA if we want at the end of the year, can't be that hard to get a 5-6 guys through FA or just bring back Morris. Also, Gormley needs his chance as others have mentioned.

If our owners want to spend more money now great, let's finally get that winger. Few things would make me happier than to see we traded our first and Summers for Moulsen or something like that.

Get rid of our first rounder, sooner the better, heck, get rid of all our picks in this years draft for all I care.
No more D
Find a wing to keep this plane from crashing

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We already have so many D kicking around that GMDM can't/doesn't want to get rid of, I dont want us bringing in any more... Even if we let Klesla/Morris go after this season, we still have OEL, Z, Yandle, Murphy, plus all the rest that can fight over third pairing, even sign a plug FA if we want at the end of the year, can't be that hard to get a 5-6 guys through FA or just bring back Morris. Also, Gormley needs his chance as others have mentioned.

If our owners want to spend more money now great, let's finally get that winger. Few things would make me happier than to see we traded our first and Summers for Moulsen or something like that.

Get rid of our first rounder, sooner the better, heck, get rid of all our picks in this years draft for all I care.
No more D
Find a wing to keep this plane from crashing

All valid points, and I want that Top 6 winger as well, but our primary problem this year hasn't been scoring goals -- our issue is keeping the puck out of our own net. That's a combination of Smitty needing to be better and a lacking defensive game. If Girardi can help us rediscover Coyotes Hockey, the hallmark of our team, then I'm all for it. The current crop of D isn't getting it done consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad