Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Sorry to knit pick, but you should probably exclude Ladd from that list. He's a 28 year old captain. Simmonds is pretty core as well.

No prob. Maybe Ladd is not that realistic of a target. But it seems that WPG will likely go through a major rebuild (they are talking about trading E. Kane). But Ladd's price would be pretty high, even if he is available. I get that.

Simmonds I have heard a lot about trading by the Flyers' fans on the TRF board. He could be a core piece for Phillie, but it's also possible that they will go a different direction. Plus, he is just about the perfect type of player that we need right now, and one that has the potential to replace Doan in a few years. Pay a little higher price for him might be worth it down the road.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Bruce Garrioch says we may be interested in Moulton
Also said that the Feb. 8th roster freeze for the Olympics will act as the trade deadline, due to the rosters unfreezing only seven days before the actual trade deadline, so expect trades in the next month

Another interesting nugget, The Buffalo Sabres are interested in hiring Brad Treliving as their GM.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Canadian media seems to have Smith as a lock for the Olympic team??? That alone shows how little hockey they actually watch. I can easily name 5 or 6 Canadian goalies who are playing better than Smith this season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Canadian media seems to have Smith as a lock for the Olympic team??? That alone shows how little hockey they actually watch. I can easily name 5 or 6 Canadian goalies who are playing better than Smith this season.

I think I'd have him ranked 5th behind Luongo, Price, Fleury, Crawford. But I wouldn't be surprised if Smith makes the team. In fact I think it'll happen. I'm just happy this process is about over so Smith can finally get it out of his head. The funny bit is, if he goes, he's definitely ranked behind both Luongo and Price, so he won't see the ice, just a comfy seat in the stands.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If it was based just on how goalies have been playing in the not so distant past I would have Price, Luongo, Crawford, Fleury, Bernier, Brodeur, and even Talbot at a higher level presently than Smith. Some are similar but not many would I presently consider Smith an upgrade on.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I imagine there was a significant piece in addition to JvR.

One Flyers fan posted this article from around the time of the 2012 draft on their board just now. Not sure how reliable the source is though.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45992

During draft weekend, it is believed that the Flyers inquired to Phoenix about the availability of All-Star defenseman Keith Yandle. Unfortunately for Philadelphia, the price tag was believed to be in the same ballpark of what Nashville wanted (pre-offer sheet) for Shea Weber: a combination of Sean Couturier, James van Riemsdyk or Brayden Schenn and more. The astronomical price tag is likely why the Yandle rumors died down in a hurry and the Flyers decided to make the one-for-one van Riemsdyk for Luke Schenn deal the next day.

So you're probably correct, Maloney was likely asking for a lot more than just JVR.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I were Don Maloney I'd demote Brown, call up Szwarz and put both Halpern and Chipchura on waivers.

I'm assuming both will clear. If I'm Tippett, I scratch both on Tuesday versus Calgary. I'd dress Bissonnette-Kennedy-Szwarz as the 4th line.

Then I'd scratch Bissonnette and Kennedy the next game, dress Halpern and Chipchura and see how they respond.

I expect Chipchura would play his guts out again. If so, I'd probably go with Bissonnette-Chipchura-Szwarz as my 4th line. As long as Chipchura plays like he has the last couple of seasons and Bissonnette keeps playing well. That line might actually be able to provide a spark, play with some energy and possibly forecheck and cycle well. We haven't has any of that in weeks.

Obviously these are just minor tweaks and they don't address the larger issues. Still, I think it makes a statement. Scratching and waiving vets is a message that bigger moves will come if acts aren't cleaned up swiftly.

Merry go rounding Brown, Szwarz, Brule, Kennedy, etc up and down and up and down from the minors doesn't send that message.

As far as the goaltending position goes, I'd play Greiss until he has a bad game. Eve if that takes ten games and starts a full blown controversy.

As for the defense, I pray to god that OEL recovers.

I've seen enough of both Rundblad and Schlemko. I'd look to make a trade.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...le-flyers-us-olympic-hockey-team-roster-snubs

Well this is interesting. According to CSN Philly's Tim Panaccio, Maloney offered Yandle for JVR sometime around the 2012 draft, but Holmgren turned the offer down and traded for Luke Schenn instead.

Read that sentence back to yourself. Does it sound like it could ever be true? Panaccio makes it sound like we were ready to give Yandle away for peanuts. I think he has an axe to grind with management and is trolling for views/readers. This is the same guy that writes for Eklund after all.

Also, Luke Schenn for JVR is a hilariously bad trade.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Read that sentence back to yourself. Does it sound like it could ever be true? Panaccio makes it sound like we were ready to give Yandle away for peanuts. I think he has an axe to grind with management and is trolling for views/readers. This is the same guy that writes for Eklund after all.

Never said every aspect of the article was unequivocally true. Just posting an article being discussed on the trade board, and if you recall there were rumors Yandle was available for the right price at the time.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Nothing new here. Go back to 2012 threads and you will find plenty of Yandle/Flyer discussions. Yes we asked and would continue to ask for a huge return for one of the best transition d men in the league.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jerred Smithson was assigned to the Marlies on 12/29 because of Bozak's return from injury.

He's an elite face-off guy just like Halpern. He can also chip in on the PK, just like Halpern. He's over the hill and pretty slow, just like Halpern. The big difference? He's bigger, better along the boards, and more effective on a grinding, cycling kind of line.

I think he's pretty much the same player as Halpern but just a little bit better suited for what we need right now.

I want to trade for Jerred Smithson and demote Halpern to the AHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I were Don Maloney I'd demote Brown, call up Szwarz and put both Halpern and Chipchura on waivers.

I'm assuming both will clear. If I'm Tippett, I scratch both on Tuesday versus Calgary. I'd dress Bissonnette-Kennedy-Szwarz as the 4th line.

Then I'd scratch Bissonnette and Kennedy the next game, dress Halpern and Chipchura and see how they respond.

I expect Chipchura would play his guts out again. If so, I'd probably go with Bissonnette-Chipchura-Szwarz as my 4th line. As long as Chipchura plays like he has the last couple of seasons and Bissonnette keeps playing well. That line might actually be able to provide a spark, play with some energy and possibly forecheck and cycle well. We haven't has any of that in weeks.

Obviously these are just minor tweaks and they don't address the larger issues. Still, I think it makes a statement. Scratching and waiving vets is a message that bigger moves will come if acts aren't cleaned up swiftly.

Merry go rounding Brown, Szwarz, Brule, Kennedy, etc up and down and up and down from the minors doesn't send that message.

As far as the goaltending position goes, I'd play Greiss until he has a bad game. Eve if that takes ten games and starts a full blown controversy.

As for the defense, I pray to god that OEL recovers.

I've seen enough of both Rundblad and Schlemko. I'd look to make a trade.

I'm I the only one that likes Schlemko? I think he has been playing solid the last number of games. I believe he had the third most TOI last night. For what he is getting paid he is a very valuable player. The way Morris and Klesla are playing there is no way I trade Schlemko, especially with Z hurt.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
After reading the Maloney Q&A on the official site, my sense is that a deal will occur closer to the Olympic break. It doesn't sound like anything is imminent.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
The Olympic break is only a few weeks away, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something in a week or two.

Looking at the two weeks prior to the break we have games against Vancouver, LA and two against Dallas. Very important games for us. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a move before those games if the team hasn't woken up by then.

Only other thing in that Maloney interview I found interesting was him saying that Boedker has quietly been taking a leadership role on the team. Good to hear that in addition to him looking more confident on the ice lately.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
After reading the Maloney Q&A on the official site, my sense is that a deal will occur closer to the Olympic break. It doesn't sound like anything is imminent.

I expect the trade market to pick up when 2/3 of the season expires. It would be prudent to wait when you're on a budget. Where GMDM was under budget at the beginning of the season by a little would at the 2/3 mark look like he is under budget enough to take on a big contract. Also teams be more likely to retain % of salaries on expiring contracts.

20% retention of Erat's contract would only be $1.8 mil next season and a better option for the Caps than buying out the last year (they would still take on a $900,000 cap hit but save money and gain an asset). Also with Laich coming back, Beagle may be available.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jerred Smithson was assigned to the Marlies on 12/29 because of Bozak's return from injury.

He's an elite face-off guy just like Halpern. He can also chip in on the PK, just like Halpern. He's over the hill and pretty slow, just like Halpern. The big difference? He's bigger, better along the boards, and more effective on a grinding, cycling kind of line.

I think he's pretty much the same player as Halpern but just a little bit better suited for what we need right now.

I want to trade for Jerred Smithson and demote Halpern to the AHL.

How about we trade Halpern for Smithson and call it a day?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm I the only one that likes Schlemko? I think he has been playing solid the last number of games. I believe he had the third most TOI last night. For what he is getting paid he is a very valuable player. The way Morris and Klesla are playing there is no way I trade Schlemko, especially with Z hurt.

I agree, Schlemko has not been bad lately. He had 5 blocked shots last night as an example. I would trade him for the right deal though. It will be interesting to see who our number 5 and 6 D are when we are healthy. Z-OEL-DMO-Yans top 4. I think 5 will wind up being Klesla and 6 might be Schlemko. There is a strong argument for Murphy too, Stone has a shot.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, Schlemko has not been bad lately. He had 5 blocked shots last night as an example. I would trade him for the right deal though. It will be interesting to see who our number 5 and 6 D are when we are healthy. Z-OEL-DMO-Yans top 4. I think 5 will wind up being Klesla and 6 might be Schlemko. There is a strong argument for Murphy too, Stone has a shot.

OEL, Z, Dmo, Yands, Klesla, Stone, Schlemko, Murphy, Rundblad, Gormley................ I feel so bad for Chris Summers right now

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would like to see us trade Summers to Winnipeg for Patrice Cormier. Summers will probably never play for the Coyotes again so take a chance on a once well regarded prospect.

I think Cormier would do well under Tippett.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
...Yandle was available for the right price at the time.
I think that's always the case it's just that the price is pretty high. I think DM sent a clear message that anyone thinking they can poach the Yotes high end young talent had better think again. Everyone has a price tag of course, it's part of the business, but if someone wants Yandle, they're going to pay through the nose...and rightfully so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad