Speculation: 2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A trade for Kadri would scare me. One day he's the best one on the ice and the next game he is practically a no show. But he is viewed as a high end player and so that is the price you would have to pay. When he's on his game, we might be satisfied with that but we would also be pretty angry on the nights he takes off. It would be nice to get a player who wants to play every night. And also, he has had some pretty good talent playing around him so it probably has helped to boost his value.

He'd probably score no less than forty points here, and he is still young enough that you wouldn't burn through his value with one average season. The main appeal is that he is an RFA and it's cheap, controllable production.

I would like to know why we passed on Mason Raymond. He had almost no takers and Brown should have had the inside scoop on him. Ended up signing for a million with the Leafs and has given them great production on the left wing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Claim Zenon Konopka

Waive Chipchura, Kennedy and Halpern

Demote Brown

Call up Szwarz

Trade Rundblad (for some prospect)

Dress Doan

Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Bissonnette-Konopka-Szwarz

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I hadn't even thought about it, but you're right, RT. Chipchura has been doing jack****.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think that we should expect Doan back for at least another 5-6 games, and frankly, it may even be smart to rest him all the way up to and through the Olympic break.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Claim Zenon Konopka

Waive Chipchura, Kennedy and Halpern

Demote Brown

Call up Szwarz

Trade Rundblad (for some prospect)

Dress Doan

Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Bissonnette-Konopka-Szwarz

You had me at the bolded. He has been useless.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't know anything about the impact of tick disease on athletic performance. Do you?

The single most important factor is how quickly the disease was diagnosed.

As bed rest/inactivity is required for recovery from the disease that alone will affect performance (one standard study < Godfrey et al > suggests after 8 weeks of inactivity it takes 20 weeks training to return to previous fitness levels).

The key is early detection and treatment (within 5 days of infection). Long term complications include one sided muscle weakness, blood clotting, neurological implications, pain and vasculitis.

Long-term Health Problems from the Center For Disease Control
http://www.cdc.gov/rmsf/symptoms/

Patients who had a particularly severe infection requiring prolonged hospitalization may have long-term health problems caused by this disease. Rickettsia rickettsii infects the endothelial cells that line the blood vessels. The damage that occurs in the blood vessels results in a disease process called a "vasculitis", and bleeding or clotting in the brain or other vital organs may occur. Loss of fluid from damaged vessels can result in loss of circulation to the extremities and damaged fingers, toes or even limbs may ultimately need to be amputated. Patients who suffer this kind of severe vasculitis in the first two weeks of illness may also be left with permanent long-term health problems such as profound neurological deficits, or damage to internal organs. Those who do not have this kind of vascular damage in the initial stages of the disease typically recover fully within several days to months.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Wasn't impressed with Brown, but I do wish we'd give call-ups more than one or two games.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know anything about the impact of tick disease on athletic performance. Do you?

What I have heard is that the timeframe for taking antibiotics is about 7-10 days, and these are continued being taken for 3 days after fever subsides. The thing is that the longer it takes to begin treatment, the longer it takes to treat. If treatment starts within the first 5 days after symptoms, you do the 7-10 day thing and then in another week or two, you should be good. And it takes between 4 and 14 days for the symptoms to even show.

But the issue is that the disease actually affects the cells lining blood vessels within the body. My assumption would be that this has the body feeling very, very weak, as the cells around blood vessels are the first to receive oxygenated blood, etc. People originally thought it was the flu b/c you're achy, vomiting, and all the other associated flu symptoms. I am guessing that once he feels less discomfort in the joints and muscles is when he will be closer to being back.

From reports, it seems like he got off antibiotics 2 days ago (happy new year), so I'd imagine that another 5-6 games is the minimum time.

As I side note, the original line that I heard was mid-March.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I will never understand why lotto teams claim 32 years olds on expiring deals from the waiver wire.

Are they one Zenon Konopka away from a playoff spot? What's the point?

Good room guy / guiding future bottom 6ers on the roster :dunno:

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
We need more jump in our top 6. I'm thinking a Camalari type and more grit in our bottom 6. At this point, I think Biz should be part of that. Camalari would be a replacement for what we lost with Whitney though he is more a goal scorer. But I'm have no idea how we could afford him.

On the back end, we need less injuries and maybe one tough D-man.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We need more jump in our top 6. I'm thinking a Camalari type and more grit in our bottom 6. At this point, I think Biz should be part of that. Camalari would be a replacement for what we lost with Whitney though he is more a goal scorer. But I'm have no idea how we could afford him.

This, been saying it all year

Camalleri costs too much I think, I like Jagr if he'll come here to play with the Czechs and then we need a Halpern replacement.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This, been saying it all year

Camalleri costs too much I think, I like Jagr if he'll come here to play with the Czechs and then we need a Halpern replacement.

Not if the right trade could be made. If we could get him at 50% I'd be happy. Maybe something like Cammy (35%) + Backlund + Baertschi for Rundblad + Korpikoski + Klesla + 2014 1st + 2015 2nd?

Kinda breaks down to Backlund for Korpikoski, Baertschi for Rundblad, and Cammy for Klesla + 1st + 2nd.

If Baertschi is really on the block then that could work out well for us. I don't remember where but I read a report that Calgary is still looking to bolster their back end.

When injuries are over:

Backlund - Hanzal - Vrbata
Doan - Ribeiro - Moss
Boedker - Vermette - Baertschi
Klinkhammer - Halpern - Szwarz

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Morris
Stone - Murphy
Schlemko, Summers

Not too bad and keeps us at cost.

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
Not if the right trade could be made. If we could get him at 50% I'd be happy. Maybe something like Cammy (35%) + Backlund + Baertschi for Rundblad + Korpikoski + Klesla + 2014 1st + 2015 2nd?

Kinda breaks down to Backlund for Korpikoski, Baertschi for Rundblad, and Cammy for Klesla + 1st + 2nd.

If Baertschi is really on the block then that could work out well for us. I don't remember where but I read a report that Calgary is still looking to bolster their back end.

When injuries are over:

Backlund - Hanzal - Vrbata
Doan - Ribeiro - Moss
Boedker - Vermette - Baertschi
Klinkhammer - Halpern - Szwarz

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Morris
Stone - Murphy
Schlemko, Summers

Not too bad and keeps us at cost.

its nice to dream right. Id be happy to get one of those guys to be honest. that kind of a blockbuster doesn't seem realistic, even if I would really love for it to be. :)

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

I think Biz should play more. Hasn't been bad in my opinion. I wonder if the Coyotes record is better when he is dressed.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Biz would make other teams think twice before taking liberties on our stars and the guy doesn't take stupid penalties, delivers nice hits, hasn't really looked bad out there. I think he has earned it.

I still love the idea of Cammallari.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Getting Backlund & Bartschi without selling the farm would be awesome. Although I don't think Cal would be interested in the assets unless we are moving Gormley or roster players like Boedker, which makes it a non-starter for us.

Perhaps we should look at some realistic scenarios later this season, target teams that likely would be out by the Olympic break. They need to be players that are reasonably proven in their offensive production, and has a chance of fitting in well on the wing of Rib or Vermette.

They would preferably still prime aged or just entering peak years; then we make a strong offer. Or if just some rental, then we will make an offer with lesser pieces (no top 4/5 prospects or 1st rounders). But they also must be players that are not in the long term core of their respective teams; so that teams would be willing to move them given the right offer. Some of these are like (those pretty unlikely are in italics):

• Tor: Raymond, Kulemin
  • Phil: Hartnell (salary retained), Simmonds
  • NJ: Elias, Jagr (both rentals)
  • Nash: Legwand (rental, salary retained), Hornqvist
  • WPG: Setoguchi (rental), Frolik, Ladd
  • Cal: Stemps (rental), Hudler (possibly retain salary, depending on what we give up)
  • CBJ: Umberger (possible salary retained, depending on assets given up), Letestu
  • Car: Gerbe, Tlusty
  • Buff: Moulson (rental), Stafford
  • NYI: Nielson, Bailey
  • Fla: Flash (possibly salary retained), Boyes (rental)
  • Edm: Hemsky, Smyth (both rentals)

Maybe some more that I forgot. But this would be a good place to start, in finding what the likely target(s) would be.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
they also must be players that are not in the long term core of their respective teams; so that teams would be willing to move them given the right offer. Some of these are like:

• Tor: Raymond, Kulemin
  • Phil: Hartnell (salary retained), Simmonds
  • NJ: Elias, Jagr (both rentals)
  • Nash: Legwand (rental, salary retained), Hornqvist
  • WPG: Setoguchi (rental), Frolik, Ladd
  • Cal: Stemps (rental), Hudler (possibly retain salary, depending on what we give up)
  • CBJ: Umberger (possible salary retained, depending on assets given up), Letestu
  • Car: Gerbe, Tlusty
  • Buff: Moulson (rental), Stafford
  • NYI: Nielson, Bailey
  • Fla: Flash (possibly salary retained), Boyes (rental)
  • Edm: Hemsky, Smyth (both rentals)

Sorry to knit pick, but you should probably exclude Ladd from that list. He's a 28 year old captain. Simmonds is pretty core as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad