2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Crawford is an average goalie in my eyes who clearly cashed in on an excellent postseason. But I'll take Smitty just for his puckhandling and his take-no-crap demeanor any day.

Re: Crawford, whether he is average or above average is debatable, but average seems to be the popular thought, myself included.

Boedker thinks he's great by the way ;)

that contract seems ridiculous to me, by about $2M aav.

and ridiculous their mgm thought they HAD to pay him that much... I'd at least still be negotiating with him.

I could possibly see a team paying him $5M aav in order to entice him to leave Chicago.... but not to stay ( on a fantastic team) and extend his contract.

watch the Blackhawks acquire bryz at some point for a $1.5, and have him knock Crawford to backup at $6m aav lol.

maybe he's the next Osgood...

Re: Smith, are you saying you like Smith's puck handling and demeanour, but he's equal to Crawford in ability?

I think he's far better, and really his contract is in line, and maybe we're just surprised GGMDM handed him that contract?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Smith, are you saying you like Smith's puck handling and demeanour, but he's equal to Crawford in ability?

I think he's far better, and really his contract is in line, and maybe we're just surprised GGMDM handed him that contract?

I said I would take Smith over Crawford just for his puckhandling and demeanor alone, but I agree that he's far better in actual puck stopping ability as well - way better glove hand and positioning.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
That Crawford deal is laughable. Chicago could basically play 6 skaters and no goaltender and still win out, they barely lost last season and I do not attribute that to Crawford's goaltending. As someone pointed out, that's only going to make it harder for them to keep all their real talent, especially with the lowered cap. I just don't understand all these huge goaltender deals, it's not like there's a huge market for them right now anyways.

Re Smith, I still HATE his contract, but i've been jerked in every direction with regards to whether he deserves it or not. If he returns to two years ago form and proves last season was just injury trouble I'll give him a pass. Still way prefer him to Corey freaking Crawford.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rumor on the main board is that we've invited Guillaume Latendresse to camp. This is an extremely smart move, if you ask me. He's a fantastic positional goal scorer and could be great next to Ribeiro. Injuries are obviously a huge issue. But he will be cheap enough that we can seek a replacement later if he goes down long term with injury.

I like Brule as an invite, too. Could be great as the 4th RW who can chip in on specialty teams and take draws when needed.

I like this. This is good. Sign Boedker, move Klesla for pick (or less likely but more preferably an AHL forward prospect), and start camp. Good to go.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Latendresse can make the roster out of camp, it should be easier to move Klesla, since at that point we won't need a roster forward in return and instead Maloney can just try to maximize the pick/prospect return (which could be pretty good).

Like it as well. Latendresse offers both good size and scoring ability. Injury risk and does have some issues with conditioning, but the reward would certainly be greater than the cost.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Corey Crawford just got 36m/6yr/6avg from the Hawks. Yeesh. Smith's deal looks a smidge better.

Maybe the Hawks were going with Crawford again this year and did not want to loose him like they did Niemi. 6 million might be middle of the pack money in a few years if this does not work out. I do think Smith would have received more money on the open market then Crawford. I also think Smith is better straight up then Crawford. Maybe DM did not over pay based on this deal.

Last year was a short year which gave the advantage to talented teams. The Hawks start was because of offense, not stellar goal tending. I think the Hawks had few other options the next few years, so they locked him up, in case he works out. Hey, if it works don't fix it, as they say..The funny thing is, all I heard after the loss to the Coyotes, was how the GM, Coach, and goalie had to go, from Hawk fans...All warm and fuzzy now until they burp this year...

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm with you rt. Crawford is an average goalie in my eyes who clearly cashed in on an excellent postseason. But I'll take Smitty just for his puckhandling and his take-no-crap demeanor any day.

You hit the nail on the head.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I said I would take Smith over Crawford just for his puckhandling and demeanor alone, but I agree that he's far better in actual puck stopping ability as well - way better glove hand and positioning.

Crawford's glove hand is laughable. I have never seen a NHL goalie with such a weak glove hand. Last years playoffs, Crawford knew Boston was shooting at his glove side and he still could not stop the shots. The play by play guys were saying to watch Boston shoot to Crawford's glove side because he can't stop the shots.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Promising tweet from McLellan today about Z. Maybe he can have a rebound season like Morris did last year?

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 2m

If I had to name one player that looks to be in best shape, it'd be Zbynek Michalek. Skating at full speed and making it look effortless.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He's probably pretty pissed at how the last couple of years have gone for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also, for the record, here's the actual Brule confirmation...

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/0...ts-the-professional-nhl-tryout-hed-hoped-for/

Nice! These were a couple of REALLY strong snags on the PTO circuit. Both could really help us out. Neither will cost much. Should be an excellent camp.

My hope now is that we get Boedker signed to a reasonable deal and move Klesla for a non-roster asset. I'm hoping we get forward prospect for him with some AHL seasoning already on his resume. Someone who could actually contribute in a call-up situation.

Which teams could really use Klesla and have a young forward currently looking like an NHL/AHL tweener?

I'm thinking just as an example like Calgary and Ben Hanowski. Maybe not them or him specifically, but something like that.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
So Assuming Latendresse and Brule actually makes the roster and Boedker is resigned would we look something like this you think?

Korpikoski - Ribeiro - Boedker
Latendresse - Hanzal - Vrbata
Doan - Vermette - Moss
Klinkhammer/Brown/Lessio - Chipchura/Brule - Yip/Szwarz/Bissonnette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00