2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I still want Vinny Prospal to fill out the -Hanzal-Vrbata line. Czech Connection here we go!

He would be a good bet, if he's willing to take a paycut. He would be ideal for a short-term solution, classy guy as well.

Boyes would be another one that we can take a chance on, betting that his time with Tavares is not a fluke. I think he still may have some fire in him to return to his 30-40 goal form.

Brunner is another, more expensive longer term bet. I would be willing to take a chance on that, provided we can move Klesla and one other significant salary (e.g. Moss).

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Anyone have any idea how the Boeds contract is split? Where do we stand with 54-55mil internal cap at this point?

Good question, I would like to know as well.

Although at the end of the day, that prob doesn't matter. We are likely to move Klesla or another contract at some point during the season, so what ever our salary structure is right now, it will likely be a few 100,000 to a couple M lower than it is no paper right now.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Possibly a dumb question, but does anyone think that we may test Summers out at forward, just to see if he can fill a bottom 6 role on the left side? Didn't he wind up playing forward his freshman year at Michigan (can't remember if he converted to F from D cause of injuries to UofM's team, or if it was the other way around - started at F, and converted to D before sophomore year).

Just a thought, as he seems like the type of player who understands the whole picture on the ice and is capable of playing either position.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I don't think we've got space at forward to slide any of our defensemen into; aside from maybe Yandle (as one who may have the talent to beat out all others for the fwd spot), but that won't [and shouldn't] happen.

That's considering the seemingly-high number of guys we've got competing for... 2 spots is it?... plus GMDM's interest in signing a top six forward (I agree, bux, that Summers couldn't make that leap).

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Possibly a dumb question, but does anyone think that we may test Summers out at forward, just to see if he can fill a bottom 6 role on the left side? Didn't he wind up playing forward his freshman year at Michigan (can't remember if he converted to F from D cause of injuries to UofM's team, or if it was the other way around - started at F, and converted to D before sophomore year).

Just a thought, as he seems like the type of player who understands the whole picture on the ice and is capable of playing either position.

He was a D converted to forward because of injuries. As long as Bissonette is on the team, I don't see any reason why CS would be playing F.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He was a D converted to forward because of injuries. As long as Bissonette is on the team, I don't see any reason why CS would be playing F.

Very true.

I didn't even know that this was posted in an article until I looked back a page or two. Work has been rough the past 2 weeks, and I've barely been able to follow goings-on.

My thought was that since we do have him on a one-way contract, it seems worth the test in the preseason. If any of the juniors, camp invites, or two-ways aren't impressive enough, and Summers can fill the role, maybe it is a Kevin Porter-lite situation for a little while until it gets further addressed, assuming LW would be more natural for Summers. He's got the speed and skating to make the conversion.

He's a lefty, but I can't recall if he played the left or right side. Or if it even matters if the coaches are thinking about trying him up there, regardless of side.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Summers also played C with US U18 team his draft year. Honestly, if he can win face offs I see a role here. New Boyd Gordon?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They may have other plans for Biz

As per numerous reports, the Coyotes will be converting Louis, originally a defenseman, to the wing.

Don Maloney hesitated to call D turned wing Mark Louis an enforcer, preferring to call him "a protector."— Craig Morgan

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/07/gormley-could-be-playing-with-coyotes-this-season/

I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe they figure if they are going to carry a fighter, he should probably fight guys other than goons...

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Alright I am going to take a swing at this. 1st try ...

Boeds - Ribs - Doan

Korpedo - Hanzal - Vrbata

Brown - Vermet - Brule

Klink - Chip - Moss

I know it is far from perfect because we are all expecting some D to move for what we assume to be a forward. Really, I just want to see what members are thinking now that Boedker is signed.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I've been imagining what rt said, but with Boeds playing with Ribs.
I don't know who wins the other top six forward spot, and I like the sound of Brule returning to our bottom six.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
Latendresse-Ribeiro-Doan
Boedker-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chipchura-Brule
Bissonnette

I think this is the most accurate prediction at this point. We may see those LWs move around depending on who they click with but I think the centers and RWs are pretty set.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think this is the most accurate prediction at this point. We may see those LWs move around depending on who they click with but I think the centers and RWs are pretty set.

It's a good line up mix but I have a hard time though believing that not 1 single forward in Rookie Camp will make the team. Yes we did make some key moves in the offseason with regards to offense but our offense is still not as solid as our defense . Right now the reports are Melie is having a great camp and is standing out among everyone else. If that is the case I just have a hard time writing him out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Latendress on the top line? Why did you pick him? Isn't he an underachiever thats prone to injury?

Complimentary skill set. Apart from Vrbata, he'd be the best triggerman on the team. I'd like to put Vrbata on Ribeiro's wing, but there's that Czech chemistry you don't want to screw with. Ribeiro is one of the better playmaking centers in the league and he needs a legit shooter. I love Doan, and all, but he's not enough. There is only one reason you invite Latendresse to your camp, and that is his shot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's a good line up mix but I have a hard time though believing that not 1 single forward in Rookie Camp will make the team. Yes we did make some key moves in the offseason with regards to offense but our offense is still not as solid as our defense . Right now the reports are Melie is having a great camp and is standing out among everyone else. If that is the case I just have a hard time writing him out.

I haven't impressed with Miele at any point in his limited NHL action. His AHL numbers are fine but at all impressive for somebody his age that is supposed to end up NHL caliber. I'd say the odds of him playing over in Europe a couple of seasons from now are far greater than him being a full time NHL player by then. I think in his case it's a good thing he stayed in college and earned his degree. He may need to find a real job before too long.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Latendresse shows up to camp with low motivation or unhealthy then he's not getting a contract. We're in a great position with him. He will only get paid if he outworks and outshines Miele, Domi and Lessio. Personally I hope Miele earns it, because he's paid his dues with this club already. But if Lats proves himself the better player then I'll still be very excited.

Boedker - Ribeiro - Doan
Miele - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpikoski - Vermette - Moss
Klink - Chip - Yip
Brule
Biz

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. There are always surprises at training camps where a rookie outplays a vet. If not our training camp maybe someone else's. I believe there will be some very good players available near end of training camp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I haven't impressed with Miele at any point in his limited NHL action. His AHL numbers are fine but at all impressive for somebody his age that is supposed to end up NHL caliber. I'd say the odds of him playing over in Europe a couple of seasons from now are far greater than him being a full time NHL player by then. I think in his case it's a good thing he stayed in college and earned his degree. He may need to find a real job before too long.

I'm with you on Miele, although he is looking good in the rookie training camp. That probably will change when he starts to play with men.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's a good point. If you give Miele a spot over Lats, it's probably smart to give Yip a spot over Brule.

Yip is kind of the forgotten man on these threads. Like we all have been saying, this is going to be a very competitive camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad