Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Sabres Prospect Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@GopherHockey

Hudson Fasching is the 2014 Frank Pond Rookie of the Year for the #Gophers.
BjbjSftCEAEvs--.jpg

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Watched Justin Kea and Corey Locke last night in Erie for their game 2 game vs the Otters.

Kea, BIG, and can get even bigger weight wise. He's tall and think and I can't help but think he could put on another 10-20 pounds of muscle, which is scary bc he was one of the strongest players on the ice physically. Loved the physical game it seemed and was not scared to throw the body, or put himself in a position to make a play but take a hit too. He gets lost in space at times, but I don't think that's his role as I see him as a very good defensive forward. He was very good on the dot. I don't know his percentage but as myself and someone else said in another thread, it seemed he won faceoffs that might've been counted as a loss because an Erie player won a puck battle.

Locke wasn't really all that impressive. Kind of lacks the top level talent that's likely needed to be in the NHL.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Just a post to say Grigorenko has been keeping up his steady progression, including the two playoff games up to now. Encouraging.

Good to see Grigs step up along with Sorenson with both Duclair and Erne out. I know Duclair has a concussion but what is the matter with Erne? I can't see Quebec advancing too far if both players are out long term.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Just a post to say Grigorenko has been keeping up his steady progression, including the two playoff games up to now. Encouraging.

This might have been covered in here, but if Québec city gets eliminated early, will Grigorenko go to Rochester?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This might have been covered in here, but if Québec city gets eliminated early, will Grigorenko go to Rochester?

Yes, once his team is eliminated he is eligible to go to the AHL for the remainder of the season. He needs to be on the Amerks Clear Day roster list in order to play in the playoffs for the Amerks I believe.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Yes, once his team is eliminated he is eligible to go to the AHL for the remainder of the season. He needs to be on the Amerks Clear Day roster list in order to play in the playoffs for the Amerks I believe.

The Clear Day roster doesn't exist anymore. The exact details of Grigorenko's AHL playoff eligibility remain kind of sketchy, but he was allowed to participate last year, so based on that there's no reason to think he wouldn't be able to this year (of course, it might end up being a non-issue the way things are going)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Clear Day roster doesn't exist anymore. The exact details of Grigorenko's AHL playoff eligibility remain kind of sketchy, but he was allowed to participate last year, so based on that there's no reason to think he wouldn't be able to this year (of course, it might end up being a non-issue the way things are going)

Why do you think its sketchy?

CHL players signed to an NHL contract can play in the AHL once their CHL team's season is done.

the grey area I have found are in players that were signed later like with Ruhwedel. What I read was he could not play for in the AHL.

I think the same thing could happen with McCabe if Wisconsin is eliminated next weekend and he opts to turn pro so buffalo signs him.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Why do you think its sketchy?

CHL players signed to an NHL contract can play in the AHL once their CHL team's season is done.

the grey area I have found are in players that were signed later like with Ruhwedel. What I read was he could not play for in the AHL.

I think the same thing could happen with McCabe if Wisconsin is eliminated next weekend and he opts to turn pro so buffalo signs him.

Regarding guys like Ruhwedel, who sign NHL contracts (that take place that season) after the trade deadline, there is this:

13.12(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period, no Player may be Loaned, except that:
(i) a Player who has been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l), 13.12(m), or 13.12(n) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled;
(ii) a Player who is on the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, or who has been unfit for 24 calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, may be Loaned on a Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan (with the Player's consent) pursuant to Section 13.9 above for a period not to exceed the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games (which Loan is not subject to any extension), provided, however, if the Player is not on the Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception, he cannot be Loaned while he is on Injured
Reserve; and
(iii) a Player may be Loaned (with the Player's consent) provided such Player (a) was on Recall and was determined to be disabled as of the Trade Deadline, (b) is determined to be fit to play prior to such Loan, and (c) was on the Active Roster for less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the period from the beginning of the Regular Season up to and including the date on which he was determined to be disabled.

A player who signs an SPC after the trade deadline, then, would not fit into any of those categories and would not be eligible to be loaned to the AHL

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Is Carrier hurt? I don't see him in the line up tonight.

@SabresProspects

Tuesday playoff slate sees Grigorenko, Carrier, Baptiste, Zadorov/Austin all playing in Game 3s.

Nick Baptiste gets the puck high between the circles and buries a shot to give Sudbury an early 1-0 lead on Barrie.

Update: Baptiste has 1+1 as SBY trails 4-3 in 3rd, Zadorov has a SHG as LDN rolling past Spits, Carrier not dressed for Drummondville

Nick Baptiste finishes with a goal and two assists as SBY loses to BAR 6-4. Wolves down 3-0 in series, will look to avoid sweep Thurs.

Nikita Zadorov gets a short-handed goal as London blows past Windsor 10-2. Zadorov 3-2-5 in three playoff games. LDN takes 3-0 series lead

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Is Carrier hurt? I don't see him in the line up tonight.

I went looking for info as like you I saw he wasn't on the game sheet for tonight's game. Must have been a late scratch. Checked Drummondville's twitter and saw nothing on it.

EDIT: found this tweet. Google translated it but i don't think it's right and i'm on my phone so hopefully someone can better translate it.
@JournalExpress: William Carrier des @Voltiavie rayé de l'alignement contre les @TigresVicto Le match commence dans quelques minutes! http://t.co/9Ctq6rQdvP

Last edited:

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'm selfishly hoping Quebec loses Game 4 so that Grigorenko can go to Rochester and bring an offensive spark to that lineup.

And what a dirty goal by Zadorov! I'm so excited to see what he becomes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anyone watch Florentino this year? His stat line is rather decent for a player his age. The only two defensemen on his team ahead of him in points are 6 years and 2 years older. He's eligible for 2 more WJC as well isn't he? Just making the cut off for the 2nd year.

Next year only, much like McCabe's single year for the WJC's. I've seen a few tidbits and I'm impressed with the heavy game he brings as well as his ability with the puck. He hits to hurt and he shoots the puck through people. I still think he is the darkhorse prospect who will arrive when he is on next year's WJC team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
‏@SabresProspects

I'm selfishly hoping Quebec loses Game 4 so that Grigorenko can go to Rochester and bring an offensive spark to that lineup.

I was going to come in here last night and post that I believe Grigorenko will be in the lineup for the Amerks on Tuesday night. Not only did they lose 5-2 last night, they were outshot 54-21 in the process. With Games 4 and 5 at Rouyn-Noranda, and Quebec without both Duclair and Erne, I could seem them again folding like a cheap suit and getting blown out of the building in Games 4 and 5.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Next year only, much like McCabe's single year for the WJC's. I've seen a few tidbits and I'm impressed with the heavy game he brings as well as his ability with the puck. He hits to hurt and he shoots the puck through people. I still think he is the darkhorse prospect who will arrive when he is on next year's WJC team.

He has a lot to work on so I hope he stays at Providence at least 3 years. He has upside as a solid #4-6 player who can hit and contribute offensively. His shot really impressed me in person at dev camp. I could feel it in my chest when he was connecting on the slapshot drill. The guy's built like a tank as well.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
What are the chances that Brady Austin can become a Mike Weber-type #6 D-man? He has more skill and better skating with similar size and less physicality. Weber isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the ice either.

I ask because his chemistry with Zadorov could conceivably take him all the way to the NHL if he proves at least serviceable. While it may be a long shot, I wouldn't be shocked to see these big boys playing together in blue and gold at some point in the future.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What are the chances that Brady Austin can become a Mike Weber-type #6 D-man? He has more skill and better skating with similar size and less physicality. Weber isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the ice either.

I ask because his chemistry with Zadorov could conceivably take him all the way to the NHL if he proves at least serviceable. While it may be a long shot, I wouldn't be shocked to see these big boys playing together in blue and gold at some point in the future.

I think Austin is a lower prospect than Weber ever was.

The question is: will he earn an ELC from the Sabres this spring?

I hope he does.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I think Austin is a lower prospect than Weber ever was.

You're right about that. However looking at the player Weber is today - pretending we don't know his history - it might be more believable that he's a 7th-round long-shot like Austin instead of his actual late-2nd selection. And Weber has paired with defenders the caliber of what Zadorov projects to be on Sabre teams we expected to compete.

For a 7th, Austin is overachieving. He's an important part of a dominant team and has shown flashes of offense. Defenders, especially those with both size and mobility, sometimes come out of nowhere.

Maybe Austin had a 1% chance of making the NHL when drafted. His partnership with Zadorov could bump it up to 10% - not great odds, but not nothing either. They're both LHD so perhaps they aren't destined as a pair, although Zadorov looks damn good on the right point opened up to fire one-timers.

Just saying, pre-made junior 6'4 mobile defensive pairings don't come down the pipeline every year. I'm interested to see how it goes.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SabresProspects

Drummondville LW William Carrier (lower) missing from the lineup sheet for the second straight night.

@SabresProspects

Mikhail Grigorenko gets on the board with his first goal of the playoffs. QUE tied 1-1 with R-N in 2nd. Grigo 1-6-7 in fourth playoff game.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Here are our College Prospects Regional Semifinal Games - 2014 NCAA Tournament -

Jake McCabe-Brad Navin and Wisconsin - Midwest Regional - U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio
Friday, March 28 - 8:00 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 1 Wisconsin (24-10-2) vs. No. 4 North Dakota (23-13-3)

Hudson Fasching-Christian Isackson and Minnesota - Northeast Regional - DCU Center, Worcester, Massachusetts.
Saturday, March 29 - 7:30 pm ET - ESPN3/WatchESPN - No. 2 UMass-Lowell (25-10-4) vs. No. 3 Minnesota State-Mankato (26-13-1)

Anthony Florentino-Mark Adams and Providence - East Regional, March 28-29 - Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Friday, March 28 - 5:30 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 2 Quinnipiac (24-9-6) vs. No. 3 Providence (21-10-6)

Last edited:

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Saginaw and Erie are headed to OT, Erie has a 3-1 lead in the series... If Saginaw loses, do Kea and Locke go to Rochester? I'd like to think Kea might be able to help them.

Edit: Erie wins in OT. Saginaw eliminated. Anyone know what will happen with Kea and Locke from here? I'd love to let them get a taste of pro hockey headed in to the summer. Can really show them what they need to work on all summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad